Want To Build Home, But Don't Want To Own Land.

Wranklefrankie

I have been here for a few years now, and I have read almost everything there is about housing, land what I have to do to own it, and so on. I have come to the conclusion that in my best interest, it would be better to get a 30+30+30 year lease on some way out of the way property and build my house on it.

I know some of you will say that this is very foolish, but I plan on building a home here someday, and I have yet to find an out of the way plot of land that wasn't either too small, to congested, or way to expensive. I have been all over the island, and I have seen plenty of places that would suit my needs, but no one ever seems to be selling what I have interest in, or there is no sign and no one to be found to speak to.

What I would really like is to find a Thai family that owns a Rubber plantation, large useless plot, or similar, and lease a block of say 4 Rai from them, and build on it. I am not a big fan of building next to, or even near neighbors. I grew up in a Lake House in Texas. I would like to live in an isolated spot, with no fear of someone building something 10' from my house. If it takes me a 1/2 hour to drive there from the market, THAT WOULD BE FANTASTIC. At the Heroin Monument heading North, turn right and go east. The road curves around and there is SO much beautiful property back there, with trees, and isolation. At work, there is no isolation, NO PRIVACY and I like to have peace and quiet when I get home. Until I turn up my Stereo that is....

What I would like to know is this:

1.) Is there a Thai/Farang service that can assist me in finding such a deal or space?

2.) Are there restrictions that exist that would prevent me from doing this?

3.) The "Real Estate Firms" on the Island really have been of no help what-so-ever, and I would really like to know how to go about finding out who owns the property, and let my Thai Wife do the talking.

The spots I have found either have no one around, or have a family living there, but they do not own it, and are not very helpful.

I see that Phuket is busting at the seams with housing developments, and the closer and smaller they are, the more Closter phobic I get.

My Father is an Architect, and the designs here just do not suit me. Space...Space...Space. The houses I have rented here were designed for Thai's and I am a rather big lad, and love tall ceilings, and huge rooms.

Adolf Hitler (I, in no way, condone what he did) had ideas of big tall rooms, and I liked his designs and refer to them only for clarity purposes.

I have also seen listings on some of the little islands near Phuket Island…Khao Yai Yao, or something… I can’t seem to find this on Google Earth. Help!

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ko Yao Yai is here: 8° 3'11.06"N 98°34'19.56"E

You can get millions of Thai placemarks for Google Earth here: http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php?Ca...ID=&fpart=1

Click on "View in Google Earth" to download the file. In Google Earth click in "File / Open" then select the downloaded file (69329-ThailandPlacemarks7.2.kmz).

I don't want to say much about the 30+30+30 lease idea, except check whether the 30+30 at the end is legally enforceable. Many people have said it isn't. Good luck!

There so many opinions one what to do about buying or renting/lease land. It's confusing not to mention who do you believe or trust. An old timer gave me some advise, he said never invest more into Thailand than you are willing to lose.

Sorry I do not have a clear cut answer for you but just remember what the old timer said.

PKG

As just pointed out above.. There is no such legal structure as a 30+30+30. Theres a 30, thats it !! After 30 even if you have a contract that they must renew it seems no one has legally forced a second lease through.

Secondly 30(+30+30) or whatever.. Long leases.. Thats considered by Thais 'ownership' you will pay as much to achieve this lease as a 'puchase' in fact many people opt to use the long lease + fixed price first purchase clause to ensure that at any time up to 29 years 11 months etc they can buy the land or shift its control and ownership. Long leases of this kind are seen as a substitute to ownership and will not be much if any savings over outright purchase. Agree you should read up on usufruct contracts (I didnt realize they were lifetime.. Will need to read up myself).

I fully understand the desire to own a chunk of land and ensure privacy, tho I find the prices here crazy. My father just bought a beautiful restored farmhouse in the S of France, views of the mountains, not a huge distance from the coast, multi acre plot, for 140k EUR !! Real ownership in a western country.

Good luck with your hunt.

You cannot build a permanent structure (house) on rubber tree land. The title doesn't allow it. If it were possible to build on this land, the Thai owners would have already upgraded it to Nor Sor Sam or Chanote and sold it for a nice big fat profit. That's why you're getting the blank looks. duh.

You cannot build a permanent structure (house) on rubber tree land. The title doesn't allow it. If it were possible to build on this land, the Thai owners would have already upgraded it to Nor Sor Sam or Chanote and sold it for a nice big fat profit. That's why you're getting the blank looks. duh.

Not always.. Plenty of rubber tree land is nor sor sam gor... Just about finding a valid plot.

I have been here for a few years now, and I have read almost everything there is about housing, land what I have to do to own it, and so on. I have come to the conclusion that in my best interest, it would be better to get a 30+30+30 year lease on some way out of the way property and build my house on it.

I know some of you will say that this is very foolish, but I plan on building a home here someday, and I have yet to find an out of the way plot of land that wasn't either too small, to congested, or way to expensive. I have been all over the island, and I have seen plenty of places that would suit my needs, but no one ever seems to be selling what I have interest in, or there is no sign and no one to be found to speak to.

What I would really like is to find a Thai family that owns a Rubber plantation, large useless plot, or similar, and lease a block of say 4 Rai from them, and build on it. I am not a big fan of building next to, or even near neighbors. I grew up in a Lake House in Texas. I would like to live in an isolated spot, with no fear of someone building something 10' from my house. If it takes me a 1/2 hour to drive there from the market, THAT WOULD BE FANTASTIC. At the Heroin Monument heading North, turn right and go east. The road curves around and there is SO much beautiful property back there, with trees, and isolation. At work, there is no isolation, NO PRIVACY and I like to have peace and quiet when I get home. Until I turn up my Stereo that is....

What I would like to know is this:

1.) Is there a Thai/Farang service that can assist me in finding such a deal or space?

2.) Are there restrictions that exist that would prevent me from doing this?

3.) The "Real Estate Firms" on the Island really have been of no help what-so-ever, and I would really like to know how to go about finding out who owns the property, and let my Thai Wife do the talking.

The spots I have found either have no one around, or have a family living there, but they do not own it, and are not very helpful.

I see that Phuket is busting at the seams with housing developments, and the closer and smaller they are, the more Closter phobic I get.

My Father is an Architect, and the designs here just do not suit me. Space...Space...Space. The houses I have rented here were designed for Thai's and I am a rather big lad, and love tall ceilings, and huge rooms.

Adolf Hitler (I, in no way, condone what he did) had ideas of big tall rooms, and I liked his designs and refer to them only for clarity purposes.

I have also seen listings on some of the little islands near Phuket Island…Khao Yai Yao, or something… I can’t seem to find this on Google Earth. Help!

Thanks in advance for the help.

Always remember !!! only invest in Thailand that which you are prepared to loose :o