Near Miss

tuky

As I fly around a lot and am heading home to Thailand today, I am interested in hearing any stories of near misses while flying. Just to make my trip more interesting :o

I have been in many helicopter crash simulations as a part of my training, but have never been involved in the real thing.

Do any of you have any stories?

None for me, in fact i asked my best friend the same question, and he flys for American Airlines for a living, he also has never had a near miss.

Not many drivers, motorcyclists or pedestrians can say the same thing. :o

Personally no near misses for myself, however about 10 years ago a close friend of mine along with his wife and her parents died in a helicopter crash over Transylvania. Fortunately his newborn son was not on that flight, so he carries on his legacy.

The most disgusting thing about this whole affair was the press. I lived next door to my friends mother and this was front page news in the national press. The reporters were sat on my front garden wall eating sandwiches and knocking on my door offering 50 GBP for photos of my mate. They were running in and out of gardens trying to get interviews with my friends mother. The sad thing is out of all the national papers and tv stations the worst for this was my local radio staion: Radio Bristol.

Always made me feel different when i see disastors reported in the media, but I got my own back on Radio Bristol a few months ago when I was playing in the world championships in Vegas. They kept phoning for a live interview, which I agreed, however purposely was never in at the arranged time. :o They were not happy :D

A couple of flying incidents but not really "near misses".

One was when I was attempting to parachute from an ancient Cessna - the plane was not really built for it and I had to climb out on the wing to jump. I was about to jump when a radio message aborted the jump due to crop spraying below.

There was another problem with the plane - it kept stalling and had to be put into a dive to jump start it, as I was climbing back in it stalled, just got in before the "pilot" put it into a dive.

On another flight in one of them little planes from Leeds to Gatwick during a bad storm the plane came down heavy, a wing hit the runway and the plane spun round a couple of times, ending up facing the direction it came from. It was classified as a "crash landing" I am told.

A couple of flying incidents but not really "near misses".

One was when I was attempting to parachute from an ancient Cessna - the plane was not really built for it and I had to climb out on the wing to jump. I was about to jump when a radio message aborted the jump due to crop spraying below.

There was another problem with the plane - it kept stalling and had to be put into a dive to jump start it, as I was climbing back in it stalled, just got in before the "pilot" put it into a dive.

On another flight in one of them little planes from Leeds to Gatwick during a bad storm the plane came down heavy, a wing hit the runway and the plane spun round a couple of times, ending up facing the direction it came from. It was classified as a "crash landing" I am told.

Always wanted to try skydiving, any oportunities in LOS,pnu?

The closest I have ever come is in Korea.

I was due to fly out in the shipyard copter to Busan airport but the copter crashed in bad weather killing all on board. I then had to take a limo to the airport ( A 3 hour drive) only to be told on the way there that a plane has crashed into the side of the mountain on takeoff during the same bad weather as the copter crash. My plane was delayed for 24 hours but the wreckage was still smoldering and quite visible as we were taking off, not the sort of reminder one needs!!!

Personally no near misses for myself, however about 10 years ago a close friend of mine along with his wife and her parents died in a helicopter crash over Transylvania. Fortunately his newborn son was not on that flight, so he carries on his legacy.

The most disgusting thing about this whole affair was the press. I lived next door to my friends mother and this was front page news in the national press. The reporters were sat on my front garden wall eating sandwiches and knocking on my door offering 50 GBP for photos of my mate. They were running in and out of gardens trying to get interviews with my friends mother. The sad thing is out of all the national papers and tv stations the worst for this was my local radio staion: Radio Bristol.

Always made me feel different when i see disastors reported in the media, but I got my own back on Radio Bristol a few months ago when I was playing in the world championships in Vegas. They kept phoning for a live interview, which I agreed, however purposely was never in at the arranged time. :D They were not happy :D

Just realised that was not the greatest get back, still owe them. :o

One h3ll of a close call, Tuk. :D How come you had crash sims? you a pilot or is that normal for people flying reg in choppers?

The closest I have ever come is in Korea.

I was due to fly out in the shipyard copter to Busan airport but the copter crashed in bad weather killing all on board. I then had to take a limo to the airport ( A 3 hour drive) only to be told on the way there that a plane has crashed into the side of the mountain on takeoff during the same bad weather as the copter crash. My plane was delayed for 24 hours but the wreckage was still smoldering and quite visible as we were taking off, not the sort of reminder one needs!!!

And then there was the 2 Russian jets that went down this week within minutes of each other..........................

Have a nice flight Tukey. :o

A friend of mine and his younger brother went with their dad for a ride, he owned a Cessna with floaters. They took off from the river that runs behind the family house. I was playing outside a few streets down when I heard the plane engine starting. I always went to see it take off, hoping for one more free ride each time.

Everything was done as usual but when the plane lifted off the water , I thought he was veering to the right which i thought was strange as the river corridor is only about 200 meters wide and the banks are pretty steep and about 60 meters high. Anyway, one of the floaters had taken water and I guess he got caught with the plane leaning to one side and made a miscalculated manoeuvre then... The plane leaned to one side and the wing touched the water, cartwheeled and ended upside down.

Needless to say, the cabin filled with water, my friend came back to the surface, he then dove in and got his younger brother from inside the plane, he`d been knocked out. I remember the old man laughing out loud as he came to the surface, it was probably a nervous laugh as he sold the plane shortly after. That was it for my free rides.

About 8 years ago, we flew out from Ottawa to Winnipeg (sounds like cheap contest for pirates, win-a-peg) on Air Canada. Shortly after take-off, sitting right behind the wing, I noticed what looked like oil running from the wing, the streak was maybe 1 cm wide, before landing in Toronto I asked a flight attendant if oils was supposed to leak like that. She said she`d ask. Hmm Hmm...

So we landed in Toronto, disembarked for 45 minutes and took-off for Winnipeg again (ahhrr). I checked the wing , ######, same f*** plane we were on... and the oil streak was getting wider... She came back to tell me it was normal procedure to balance the weight or something like that and dump some of the hydraulic oil...(still not convinced, never checked on that). We landed safely in Winnipeg (met a girl named Polly, wouldn`t stop talkinng) and the oil leak had not stopped by then. Was about 30 cm wide by then, I could actually see ripples on the oil streak on the wing.

Coming back from LOS to Canada last year, I remember another plane flying alongside over the Atlantic, same height but maybe 1km away. All of a sudden the smoke coming out of an engine turned brown and ten black... I watched this for a while, the plane then came in closer and in front of us for a while, I guess they had our pilots visually inspect it. A man sitting next to me said there was definitely something wrong... They then veered off course and seemed to be heading to Iceland or Greenland. I checked the news for a few days, nothing, I guess they made it safely. Hoooray!

Always made me feel different when i see disastors reported in the media, but I got my own back on Radio Bristol a few months ago when I was playing in the world championships in Vegas. They kept phoning for a live interview, which I agreed, however purposely was never in at the arranged time. :o They were not happy :D

Off topic I know, but are you talking about the World poker championship in vegas? If so, very cool.

Always made me feel different when i see disastors reported in the media, but I got my own back on Radio Bristol a few months ago when I was playing in the world championships in Vegas. They kept phoning for a live interview, which I agreed, however purposely was never in at the arranged time. :D They were not happy :D

Just realised that was not the greatest get back, still owe them. :o

One h3ll of a close call, Tuk. :D How come you had crash sims? you a pilot or is that normal for people flying reg in choppers?

It is regulation for folks flying in choppers regularly, it is called a HUET course, Helicopter Underwater Escape Training. Basic we crash in a simulated chopper which then turns upside down in the water, from there you do your best to escape. Nowdays you are supplied with rebreathers which I find a pain in the neck, I would rather hold my breath. The course also contains sea survival and so on, did you know that if you are stuck out at sea in a raft without fresh water you can use the turtle like air pump supplied with the raft to pump water into your backside? your anus will act as a filter and leave the salt in your bowel while absorbing fresh water into your body, ofcourse you have to stay clenched to make it work :D

And then there was the 2 Russian jets that went down this week within minutes of each other..........................

Have a nice flight Tukey.ย 

Begs, scary isn't it?

you can use the turtle like air pump supplied with the raft to pump water into your backside? your anus will act as a filter and leave the salt in your bowel while absorbing fresh water into your body, ofcourse you have to stay clenched to make it workย  :D

How interesting, what a useful item, you have a choice of a fresh drink of water, or a free enema! :o

Here`s a tip to "stay clenched" All men aboard should remove their pants and underwear, the psychological effect should help you prevent water from coming out and the fear of anything "coming in" :D

Off topic I know, but are you talking about the World poker championship in vegas?ย  If so, very cool.

Yes, didn't make the money, but the winner got $5M. :D ...... $26M in total prize money this year

It is regulation for folks flying in choppers regularly, it is called a HUET course, Helicopter Underwater Escape Training. Basic we crash in a simulated chopper which then turns upside down in the water, from there you do your best to escape. Nowdays you are supplied with rebreathers which I find a pain in the neck, I would rather hold my breath. The course also contains sea survival and so on,
Thanks Tuk, never flown in a helicopter so interesting to know :o
did you know that if you are stuck out at sea in a raft without fresh water you can use the turtle like air pump supplied with the raft to pump water into your backside? your anus will act as a filter and leave the salt in your bowel while absorbing fresh water into your body, ofcourse you have to stay clenched to make it work

Nice to know if I'm ever in that situation, but I hope it's raining :D

Tuky-

Hmmm I fly extensively so I've seen a faire few things...

Lighting Strike- always good fun.

Engine Flame Out- luckily we had 3 others so no problem. :D

Sudden drop or evasive manuever with <deleted> not fastening their seatbelts (literally nutting themselves on the ceiling of the cabin)

Knock on wood nothing majorly dangerous, but enuf to give slight concern. :o

Do any of you have any stories?

About 15 years ago, I was flying in the rear of an MD80 (twin jet with the engines mounted on the fuselage near the tail).

We were on final approach about 100 feet above the ground. The port side engine sucked in a bird. There was a large BOOM which shook the whole plane and then the engine stopped.

The pilot did a great job landing the plane. With only 1 engine he could not use the thrust reversers to slow down. He set the plane down and then used only the brakes to slow us down. We rolled out all the way to the other end of the runway.

(I'm heading out to LOS tommorrow. Thanks for getting my mind on the flight, Leith! .... just kidding of course :o )

A quick question for Tukyleith - where did you do your HUET course? I did the CONSIST one in KL.

I gather there is a place to do them in Sri Racha, but have never been able to find the address. Reason I'm asking is my HUET will be expiring soon and I'd rather do it here than fly to KL

Ian

A quick question for Tukyleith - where did you do your HUET course? I did the CONSIST one in KL.

I gather there is a place to do them in Sri Racha, but have never been able to find the address. Reason I'm asking is my HUET will be expiring soon and I'd rather do it here than fly to KL

Ian

Hi Ian,

I normally do it in Perth at the IFAP place, but this last time I did the BOSIET in Azerbaijan. I am not aware of one in Sriracha/Laem chabang but seeing as i will be home tomorrow I will look around and see if I can find it. I have a mate working there at the moment for CUEL so I will ask him if he knows. He has the dream job actually, 27 well head platforms means he will be there for the next 8 years!!! :o

I will keep in touch.

Cheers

Tuky-

Hmmm I fly extensively so I've seen a faire few things...

Lighting Strike- always good fun.

Engine Flame Out- luckily we had 3 others so no problem. :D

Sudden drop or evasive manuever with <deleted> not fastening their seatbelts (literally nutting themselves on the ceiling of the cabin)

Knock on wood nothing majorly dangerous, but enuf to give slight concern. :o

As i am a model airplane and helicopter pilot i can only comment a saying in our club

"what goes up will come crashing down sooner or later " :D

just last week crashed my heli due to mechanical failure. Not the best transportation vehicle to be in when there's a problem. a plane will be a lot safer already.

When the blades stop on a heli it's an instant brick.. :D

As I understand a helicopter can autorotate if the engine fails, assuming it's high enough to generate sufficient revs of the blades. Actually saw a RAF pilot do it for real on TV a few days ago - quite a smooth landing.

indeed simey ,

that's the only way to save it in a failure, but then again it depends on what type of failure.

If the engine just quits it's a way to save it , but if one of your blades goes flying or breaks, or if one of the cyclic or elevator controls fail, you'de better start praying.

In practice an autoration is already difficult (and then they say "do it now") let alone in a real flight with some other things happening.

Besides you need a spot to land, in the mountains or over a city this can be quite problematic.

A plane still flies as long as it has enough speed over the wings , so if the engine fails it's not that risky if your high up.

In our hobby we also autorotate so were able to save it when something happens but let's say you need to break 3 of them before you learn to save one :o

btw tuky , i wouldn't fly russian airlines now :D they have bad gasoline i hear.