Best Mobile Phone Coverage In The North

Artamus

I shall be arriving in Chiang Mai next month and want to purchase a local mobile SIM card with a pay as you go service.

Ideally this SIM card and service should not expire because of a few months of non-usage, as I'll be back and forward to Thailand over the next year or so and would like this number to remain "permanent".

Primarily though the most important consideration will be network coverage, particularly in the more remote areas of northern Thailand. Does anyone have any specific recommendations of which network/service provider to sign up with? Also any suggestions on which package/deal will provide a few months of "non-usage" would be great.

Many thanks

I personally prefer DTAC (better price, good coverage), though if connectivity in the most remote areas is prime then you should go with AIS. (1-2-Call for the prepaid SIM).

I think prepaid sims expire over time unless you put enough credit on them to extend the total value (also extends the expiry date.). But by all means ask what your options are at the AIS service center, at th corner of Kamphaeng Din road and Thapae Road.

For me 12call has not been good but I'm sure others have differing opinions. Main problem I have (other than 50-50 chance of calls getting through internationally) is the great disappearing act of loading up 200 or 300baht worth and then in a few hours after about maybe 20-30-40baht worth of calls, the balance goes down to almost nothing! complaints just get the old shoulder shrug,followed by the laugh,etc. When I check the feature on my phone to check the cost of specific calls they all read 0.00. I realize things used to be much worse as the oldtimers will say, and I WILL change to another sevice when I'm done procrastinating in a year or two. Anyone else had similar fine experiences like this or am I just special.

I think prepaid sims expire over time unless you put enough credit on them to extend the total value (also extends the expiry date.).

I have DTAC pre-paid also. There is a number you can call that will extend the expiry up to 360 days, so need to worry about continuing to top it up to keep it active. A search on the forum will find the number and technique to do this.

I work with a foundation that works in rural areas a lot. When we go, we use DTAC, 12Call and even Orang. We have found that the network coverages really vary from place to place in rural areas. One area will have DTAC while another village will have 12Call. All have coverage in the cities so I will give you my experience for rural areas:

Rural Lamphun - a lot of villages have Orange.

Mae Chaem - DTAC and 12Call.

Phrao (Rural) - 12Call.

Hod Rural - 12Call

Chiang Rai Rural -12Call and some DTAC

As far as rates, DTAC is the cheapest. I personally use 12Call because it seems like most farang I know use this company. As a result, when promotions occur, I can call many of them more cheaply.