Talk about the blind leading the blind.

A business visa, if issued, allows a foriegn national to do business within Thailand and within the scope of the declaration on the visa application itself.

Such would allow conducting normal business with their company oveseas, as you would expect, including but not limited to having phone conversations, sending emails, writing reports, exchanging data online, etc., etc with them. The emphysis being on "between the visa holder and the foriegn company they work for, overseas". Plus, they are able to solicit co-operation with Thai companies for their employer.

If the last poster was correct, no-one could, nor ever would invest in Thailand. As no-one would be legally allowed to enter the kingdom to discuss the issue in the first place.

The common mistatement that a business visa only gives you a right to apply for a work permit is without foundation. Given you can not get a work permit when the company has no office in Thailand. This shows the foolishness of the other reply.

If you are applying for a job in Thailand, and therefore get a business visa to attend an interview, that is one thing. But to misquote the law in such a way is not very professional.

dr_Pat_Pong

Funny (in a dummies sense). Please tell me why;

1) It does not stipulate this on the visa application form. In fact, why it asks you for details of what you are doing for your overseas company whilst in Thailand?

2) Why it is not called a work permit application visa?

3) Why they give you multi-entry. Is that in case you need to come back for a second interview?

4) Why no-one has ever been deported for doing as I outlined (and please, don't ridicule people with generic "I know a case", please state case number, deportee and reason given for deportation).

5) Why no-one has ever sued the Thai government for breach of contract.

6) Why no foreign government has never made formal complaints (nor gives formal warnings regarding these issues on their web sites) to the Thai Government for changing the rules regarding Business Visas.

You reply with generic contempt. Yet, as is always the way, it is the people that do this that suffer from what the accuse others. What is sad (and illegal) is that you are giving false advice and properly are not even qualified to do so under Thai law. I suspect you must have an ulterior motive (like making some $ off some poor schlep that listens to you). Or that your source of information is the cleaner at the Patong Immigration office.

You need a business visa to get a work permit yes. But that does not mean you need a work permit to work for a foreign company. Where, no doubt, your simple (and laughable) logic comes from, is IF that foreign company has an office in Thailand. Then sure, you need a work permit to work for that company. But if they have no office in Thailand, and you restrict yourself to work duties for that company, you are fine.

Get a clue and stop publishing false information on the Internet.

The Thai law definition of work:

WORK: means to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefit.

1. You can conduct business under a shorter period of time, but you can not live here and "conduct".

2. Because a B-visa is can be issued both for employment and for own company setup.

3. If you travel frequently in and out of the country, you don't need to reapply. The multiple entry visa was when it was intruduced, not meant to be used for extreme long stayers, without the need for obtaining re-entry permits.

4. It is hundred of foreginers beeing deported every year for just doing this, work without work permit thinking they can do this with a B-visa. Why you don't go and visit the Immigration detention Center in Bangkok and look for your self? At least 50 *western* foreigners are currently detained there for illegal work. Plus some 2000 subcontinent illegal workers.

5. Sue the Thai Government? Sue for what?

6. It's a well known fact that illegal work in Thailand results in deportation if they find out.

Summary: You are completely wrong and don't know what you are talking about, Amazed. You posts is one of the most stupid I have seen on this board.

Don't work without a work permit. See the definition of work in the beginning of my post.

I suspect what Amazed is trying to tell us lies in his last paragraph. He seems to be talking about cases where a foreign company is not based here.

He says if the company is based here, you do need a work permit. He says if it's not, you don't. It seems unlikely to me, but there it is.

Phuket 2000, the one who started this post, says he has a B-type visa but no work permit. Why you'd have one without the other, unless your job changed, I do not know. Maybe he can tell us.

Incidentally, I can recall this question being asked before, though I don't know what the outcome was.

You need a business visa to get a work permit yes. But that does not mean you need a work permit to work for a foreign company. Where, no doubt, your simple (and laughable) logic comes from, is IF that foreign company has an office in Thailand. Then sure, you need a work permit to work for that company. But if they have no office in Thailand, and you restrict yourself to work duties for that company, you are fine.

I suspect what Amazed is trying to tell us lies in his last paragraph. He seems to be talking about cases where a foreign company is not based here.

He says if the company is based here, you do need a work permit. He says if it's not, you don't. It seems unlikely to me, but there it is.

Phuket 2000, the one who started this post, says he has a B-type visa but no work permit. Why you'd have one without the other, unless your job changed, I do not know. Maybe he can tell us.

Incidentally, I can recall this question being asked before, though I don't know what the outcome was.

It sound scrazy, but the law is clear. Work is defined in the law. Working in Thailand for a foreign company requires work permit. Foregin companies can open "Branch office" or "Representative office". Work permit can be issued to an employee in one of those entities.

There are no execptions to the work permit requirements!

You are;

1) Wrong. The application forms for Business visas make it clear what you are able to do. That is the law. You are used to dealing with guys that want to work for dive ops and bars here. I suggest you go get a copy and look at it rather than repeat what some person, wanting to make a buck wherever they can, told you.

2) Dumb. By your reckoning, if Microsoft had no business interests in Thailand whatsoever, and their CEO wanted to come to Thailand to look around and see if there were any investment opportunities, he would need to either;

a) Get a job offer in Thailand first, or

:o Not speak nor write nor communicate with his office in the USA at all while he was here.

3) Classless and sadly / badly informed. When you have some idiot calling himself Dr Pat Pong as a moderator, professing that he is an authority on the law, you just show yourselves for the joke you are.

A business visa is a business visa. It allows you (a foreign national) to come here and do business for your foreign company. As for the crap about not entitling you to "live here and conduct", just goes to show how little you know. If you, a foreigner with a B visa, can buy a car in Thailand with a letter of authorization from the immigration department. (which requires the signature of the house owner where you are renting from and a copy of his land ownership papers). What does that tell you?

I suggest you keep to giving bar boys advice on how to pick the best bar hoes. I am sure this is your area of expertise.

The application forms for Business visas make it clear what you are able to do.

Tell us what they say, then, if you can keep from passing more insults.

I'd rather read a straight post, if you don't mind. Way too early in the day to be coping with so much abuse.

Amazed you need to go back and read the post from phuket 2002. It reads i work for an english company doing online work, do i need a work permit to work to work in Thailand. NOT as you seem to read it( i am on a business trip for my company do i need i work permit.) I dont know what company employes this guy but there is a warning on the F.C.O. site, employers claims to be able to circumvent Thai Immigration Regs should not be believed.

Morgan ???