The Avenue Mall/villa Market Parking Mafia

Hobgoblin

The guy was only doing his job.

you should have been an adult and gone back and got a stamp. :o

I agree.

Cheers

You should have acted like an adult -- a polite adult -- and gone back for the stamp. I venture to say that, had this incedent occured in your country of origin, that's what you would have done. You also wouldn't have gone to a website to pour out your soul. Like so many farangs, you become defensive, paranoid, superior, loutish, and arrogant when you see a Thai face. Instead of going back and complaining to the manager, you should go back and apologize to the attendant.

Good post! :D

Regardless, I would like to add that finally, FINALLY someone has posted an intelligent topic for an open discussion.

Nothing intelligent in stealing 20 baht and then beating your gums about some perceived mafia-controlled operation.

Maybe marginally less intelligent than the dross you incessantly post yourself.

but no one really has addressed the OTHER issue, which is, are those Villa parking dudes making people pay EVEN IF they have the stamp... THAT is the situation where I would have dragged the parking dude INTO the store, and had it resolved there, in the open, for entertainment for all to enjoy.

I will address it.

Very simply, it may be that the validation has a time limit. Maybe you get up to X hours free parking. Otherwise, people could dump their cars there all day and half the night while they carouse around Pattaya, buying a pack of gum in Villa to get the validation. Since there's not a lot of parking these days in PTY, esp. safe parking, and Villa has such a prime location, they don't want their lot filling up with day trippers with little room left for serious shoppers in Villa. I believe Royal Garden has such a policy in their lot: you can validate, but the longer you stay, the more you pay at a progressive rate.

IF this is the case--I don't know if it is (and you don't either)--we'd much enjoy watching the results of your dragging the parking dude into the store . . . . :o

Edited by JSixpack

Regardless, I would like to add that finally, FINALLY someone has posted an intelligent topic for an open discussion.

Nothing intelligent in stealing 20 baht and then beating your gums about some perceived mafia-controlled operation.

Maybe marginally less intelligent than the dross you incessantly post yourself.

Are you referring to the dross that YOU repeatedly continue to reply to?

The guy was only doing his job.

you should have been an adult and gone back and got a stamp. :o

I agree.

Cheers

You should have acted like an adult -- a polite adult -- and gone back for the stamp. I venture to say that, had this incedent occured in your country of origin, that's what you would have done. You also wouldn't have gone to a website to pour out your soul. Like so many farangs, you become defensive, paranoid, superior, loutish, and arrogant when you see a Thai face. Instead of going back and complaining to the manager, you should go back and apologize to the attendant.

Good post! :D

+1

Yes, you should go back, pay the 20 baht, apologize to the attendant AND tip him an additional 20. Anything we can do to show the Thais that farangs here aren't really arrogant idiots and are in fact nice, honest, reasonable people is helpful. WHY were the visa rules for farangs tightened so much in recent years?

Hi,

BIG SNIP

nor will I inconvenience myself by going back into the store to have the ticket validated.

SNIP

-H

I wondered what all the fuss is about so I went there this morning to find out the real story, now I understand, it's such a long way from the car park to the Villa checkout NOT

No one can post such utter dribble and not be trolling for trouble.

Very simply, it may be that the validation has a time limit. Maybe you get up to X hours free parking. Otherwise, people could dump their cars there all day and half the night while they carouse around Pattaya, buying a pack of gum in Villa to get the validation. Since there's not a lot of parking these days in PTY, esp. safe parking, and Villa has such a prime location, they don't want their lot filling up with day trippers with little room left for serious shoppers in Villa. I believe Royal Garden has such a policy in their lot: you can validate, but the longer you stay, the more you pay at a progressive rate.

Of course there has to be a limit on validated parking for the reasons you mentioned.

I'm not sure about car parking, but here is 2 particular examples of motorcycle parking.

Royal Garden Plaza: With validation you get 4 hours for 10 baht - covered parking.

Festival Center (Big C, 2nd road): With validation you get 4 hours for free, but it's uncovered parking.

Driving off without paying !

You are a very lucky man that you are not dining through straws at the moment.

This is not your country, you are not a superior being, grow up and get a life !

Why have you assumed the OP is a "man"? Why have you assumed "this" [Thailand] is not their country? Have you seen the OP's citizenship papers, if any? And are you suggesting that it would somehow be OK for a Thai to drive off without paying, but a farang shoudln't do that?

Edited by Weho

IF this is the case--I don't know if it is (and you don't either)--we'd much enjoy watching the results of your dragging the parking dude into the store . . . .

The parking charges were introduced to control the limited parking spaces as in the other shopping areas like RGP & Friendship, you get 20 mins free then with a shop stamp you get 2 hours free, after that its 20baht AN HOUR! come on thats cheap parking, re the multi story I was there last night and they have now started issuing tickets there due to the number of people who were parking there all day presumably from nearby businesses/bars. However, in the multi story it does say that parking is free with shop stamp and when I left the cinema some three hours after arrival I handed my ticket in got a nice smile and sent on my way with no charge.

What really irks me is that many posters castigate those that want handouts without working then when we find decent people trying to earn a living they also get casitgated. I suspect also that the staff do have to make up any shortages out of their own pocket. I found out last year when a young lady at the petrol station gave me too much change I called her back and gave her the excess, she was very happy as it was 500 baht and my Thai companion told me at the time that the shortage in the till would have been deducted from her already low wages. Finally given the choice of paying 20 or even 40 baht for a well lit patrolled car park or a dark quiet free soi I know which one I would choose.