The Joining Of Two Internet Sources

mouse

Not too long ago I saw a post about someone taking two Internet sources and then joining the two through a device designed for that pupose. However, to matter what terminology I use to search both on this forum and Google, I cannot seem to locate such a device or the original post.

If you know of the post I refer to or of such a deivce that I could purchase and use here in Thailand, please point me inthe right direction

Not too long ago I saw a post about someone taking two Internet sources and then joining the two through a device designed for that pupose. However, to matter what terminology I use to search both on this forum and Google, I cannot seem to locate such a device or the original post.

If you know of the post I refer to or of such a deivce that I could purchase and use here in Thailand, please point me inthe right direction

That device is named: Loadbalancer! Ypou can find them for app. THB 4,000 in Bangkok!

That device is named: Loadbalancer! Ypou can find them for app. THB 4,000 in Bangkok!

Thanks Reimar...Found the post... Now to get TOT to extend their present line another 1.2km and then try it out with ADSL and IPSTAR. It will certainly give me somehting to tinker with. If it does not work then I will split Internet access within the office to the two sources, in addition to running a LAN amongst all machines. I have nothing but time.!!!

Sounds interesting - I had never heard about it, can you please keep us informed about the progress ?

Just one thought : wouldn't it be cheaper and easier just to upgrade your internet package :o ?

Maybe cheaper but better? I don't think so! I think you'll get more bandwith with loadbalancing than with upgrading in LOS!

must admit I can't understand how this could work efficiently, you would have 2 ip addresses which means every site you access will be competeing for your bandwidth and secure connections would probably be impossible, I'm sure you have a good reason for your request but I just can't see how it could work, my guess is you have your own connection and have free access to another

hope it works out.

gharknes--

The load balancer sends some requests to one line, some to the other. The really nice ones check bandwidth and latency periodically to determine what protocols/file types are taken from what source. They can also handle fail-over, which is also great for Thailand. You can do the same thing with an old PC... but for 4k Baht it's worth shelling out for the simplicity.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...&hl=pfsense

is the thread about combining bandwidth.

I use the self built pfsense box (total cost around 3000 Baht).

must admit I can't understand how this could work efficiently, you would have 2 ip addresses which means every site you access will be competeing for your bandwidth and secure connections would probably be impossible, I'm sure you have a good reason for your request but I just can't see how it could work, my guess is you have your own connection and have free access to another

It actually works quite well, most of these devices use some sort of logic which will route requests to one website (for example https to your bank) through only one of the two connections, but anything from another site/host can come through the other connection.

In the example of Thaivisa, the actual forum content will come through one connection (so the forum software can't get confused) but the google ads will get downloaded using the other connection since they are not hosted on the Thaivisa server, nor will this confuse the forum software. Net result is a very noticeable increase in loading speed. Most websites nowadays have their content spread over several hosts.

Even more efficient will be downloads using a download manager, where a file is downloaded in several segments. HAlf of the segments will come through one connection, the other through the other connection effectively combing the speed of both connections.

And the biggest advantage (in my case anyway) these devices seamlessly switch to the other connection when one of the two goes down. No interruption of service at all!