Media Banned From Publishing Opinion Polls

george

Media banned from publishing opinion polls in Bangkok Governor’s election

BANGKOK: -- The Election Commission (EC) has banned the local media from publishing opinion polls involving Bangkok governor election on Sunday.

The EC believes publishing polls contravenes the electoral law, prohibiting advertising or any practices which reveal the number of votes a candidate or any political party has ahead of the election.

The commissioners have also asked the metropolitan police to help monitor candidates’ campaigns and other practices during the Bangkok governor election.

The election will be held on Sunday, 29 August.

Alcohol sales will also be strictly banned on the evening before the election.

The police will be monitoring and checking restaurants and places of entertainment.

The Bangkok municipal authorities are well-prepared for the election, the Permanent Secretary for the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), Khun Ying Nathanon Thavisin told TNA on Thursday.

Ballots boxes will be distributed to all the city’s 50 districts early Saturday morning.

Security will be tightened at every polling booth, and where the vote counting takes places, she said.

The Bangkok authorities hope more than 70% of the registered electors will vote on election day.

--TNA 2004-08-27 Source: http://etna.mcot.net/query.php?nid=30228

Many localities in the U.S. have their own laws concerning alcohol sales on any election day. As my aging mind recalls in Dade county(now Miami-Dade county) alcohol was banned (sales only as you could still legally drink just couldn't sell it)only on the day of the election and was lifted when the polls closed. When did it start? Don't recall now. I believe that is the loophole in the local law here as I have read it awhile back--sales only but you can still drink if you stocked up the day before. Johnnie

Election Commission ?????

From all I have read in the papers they couldn't possibly be stacking the deck for any one candidate,,, could they ?????

Can't have a parade///

Can't pass out Tee Shirts ////

Can't publish opinion polls ////

and on and on , these are very dangerous happenstance to the public, ...to the public who we know are not able to think for themselves..... These naturally would not be wrong

Seems about the only thing left to do for a honest to goodness candidate is to pass out 500 Baht notes which are invisible [even when seen by camera];or promises of millions of baht [loans of course] for your village; or too cheap health care, which may and probably will bankrupt the hospital; and bring possible corruption charges against the administrator..

Nice too live here but strange, strange rules to have to understand

cest la vie said the old folks .... goes to show you never can tell :o

No... I know I can't vote here, but need to learn to live with the results, and you know what they say when in Rome.... Do as the Romanians do ///

The Nation published a poll today which appears to show that Apirak, the candidate favored by the Democrat Party, has taken a strong lead over the previous frontrunner, Pavena. This is a good thing in my view, because I can't imagine how a woman candidate would be good for the entertainment scene in Bangkok.

Curiously, though, the paper appears to be banned from saying who is leading who. It coyly refers to a "social activist" having lost ground to a "pretty face."

If you then read the accompanying articles, you see that Pavena is noted for her social activism and Apirak is considered a young, fresh face.

A certain "entertainment tycoon" is a distant third.

The Nation published a poll today which appears to show that Apirak, the candidate favored by the Democrat Party, has taken a strong lead over the previous frontrunner, Pavena. This is a good thing in my view, because I can't imagine how a woman candidate would be good for the entertainment scene in Bangkok.

I don't know how you can say that Professor Dumbledore. Remember that the woman in question is the same person who went on a field trip to Pattaya several years back and declared that there was no prostitution to be found there. :o

If the media cannot publish opinion polls or say much of anything concerning the election, then I don't think this election is freedom in the meaning of the word freedom.

I have said it before that the way things go on about here in Thailand, this borders towards dictatorship.

Daveyo

In fact they even banned one candidate for simply having a parade promoting herself. Now don't that beat all. Look at America of how the candidates express themselves.

Well if there is to be a ban on selling alchohol throughout the city, looks like there will be another great exodus to Pattaya for the weekend.

Mind the roads though guys coz more than likely that's where all the voters will be off to as well. They do like their tipple :o:D:D

Teach

Alcohol sales will also be strictly banned on the evening before the election.

The police will be monitoring and checking restaurants and places of entertainment.

Guess the Irish Coffee menu's will get dusted off again and all them china mugs polished in readiness?

I am sorry but I could not just let this go and am shocked and disappointed others in this forum have not stepped forward to say something about the nature and intent of Sir, my crap don't stink, Astral's commentary.

Astral, if by chance you happen to really know any Thai's, which is doubtful. I would surmise that at best your knowledge of them would be more akin to a social or work I am the master encounter or capacity.

I would not presume, given your ego, you would even be aware of Thai’s manners oriented nature and demeanor to be congenial and avoid confrontation nor of the possibly they would have the intelligence to not want to even attempt to share their opinions with such a rude, condescending, arrogantly egotistical, apparently inbreed and judgmental person that thinks so aristocratically of themselves.

If you are indeed a moderator, it’s shameful and kind of like putting the KKK in charge of race relations or a Fundamentalist Islamist over domestic husband wife relations!

Regrettably there are way to many westerns like you in Thailand. Losers with a capital L, who have been run, or have run away from their western society because there they where at the bottom of the social rung and could not compete successfully with fair minded, tolerant equality oriented people and or had a deep mentally disturb desire or need to feel superior to someone!

Like you Astral, they arrogantly look down on the Thai’s and Thai ways by disingenuously and wrongly assuming that by their being at the bottom of the rung in their former life as a western that somehow makes them automatically near the top in Asia or the 3rd world.

When in fact, if we are honest here, we all know a common encounter with our Fahrang counter parts here, in Thailand, Asia and throughout the 3rd world, allowing, of course, for individual exception, are, for the most part, encounters with an ill breed lot who are just keeping their heads above the sewer line but who have this Astral expressed I am at least better than "them" attitude.

PS For the record, I personally only spend 6 months a year in Thailand and enjoy having one foot in the west and one in the east, its enlightening, refreshing and humbling and makes me most appreciative of both.

That is all I am going to say about that! :o

Neerman and Capt Canada-

Try Soi Patpong, Silom Road, Bangkok, assuming its still there, it will probably be a solution for both of the issues you’ve spoke of.

Dickie (Maybe maybe not. with racism I am offensively serious).

Yo, Poppa Bill what can I say dude! You da man!

A small Rebuttal if I may.

1.) Please review my credo as to opinions noting my opinion of my own opinion as well as that of others.

2.) If its superior to read, have original thought, observe and or is S**t to comment on racism then I gladly accept those labels with honor and pride. Thanks for the association.

If its offense to anyone, that I find racists, anti-Thai comments offensive and way to prevalent by those I know least likely to have the character of such superiority, then by all means, please insist that I be banned as each and every time I read such, I am obliged by the code of the “what’s up with that” to comment until "big brother" pulls the plug.

3.) On the other hand, if my description of that portion, I repeat portion, of westerns I mentioned is personally reflective of any one on this forum or can resembles them and or associates them in any way to the bands of westerns that can seen roaming Patty Beach, Khaosan, Sumkumviti and Silom roads and or similar locations through out Asia, on any give night, then I sincerely regret such offensive resemblance and making such an association to anyone living or dead. My regrets Poppa Bill.

Lastly I invite anyone to make a short visit to Bang Kwang prison for a once over if they have any illusions about the general veracity of my commentary on these bands of westerns. Particularly as they have evolved over the last 10 years.

Grant you, sadly, mixed in with this illustrious band of socially responsible westerns are a number of innocent but unlucky victims of things some refer to as the Thai way but all in all most, by far, are a representative sampling of the dredges of western society I speak of.

That is all!

Just because I am a moderator, does not mean that I am not entitled to my opinion.

The whole education system here is oriented to "learn what the teacher says,

and do what he/she says" without questioning the veracity or logic.

This way of thinking carries through into later life as well..

If it did not, the various governments and local officials would never get away with

the scams they perpetrate on the Thai people.

There are a few Thai thinkers - read the letters in the Bangkok Post from Burin Kantabutr -

but unfortunately they are in the minority.

My own children (Thai citizens) are being brought up to question what they are told and consider matters in a rational manner, not just accept things at face value.

Edited by astral

If it did not,  the various governments and local officials would never get away with the scams they perpetrate on the Thai people.

For all the talk about reforming the Thai education system, the powers-that-be have no genuine desire to see this actually accomplished, which is why nothing substantive ever happens on the reform front. As you say with a better educated general population, a good percentage of the scams pulled by the higher-ups would either have to halt or at the very least would be questioned openly by the masses.

I don't know how you can say that Professor Dumbledore. Remember that the woman in question is the same person who went on a field trip to Pattaya several years back and declared that there was no prostitution to be found there. :o

Thanks for the reminder Ovenman -- here's hoping you're right!

The Professor :D

About the poll, aren`t they prohibited for saturday and sunday only or maybe a few days before the election?

Back home, polls are prohibited a few days before and on election day. Prevents the last minute voters from picking the predicted winner as many dont like to `lose`` on their vote.

Makes sense to me. Why let people who have no idea who will win see it in the morning paper and help them decide who to vote for...

usatrader,

trying to give an intelligent response on this site - based on fact and good argument - is difficult.

To do so you are accused of being some sort of elite ###### who has no contact or knowledge of the "real" people, whatever that means.

I sometimes wonder if the average punter that visits this site has a perspective of Thailand that extends beyond the bar stool.

I sometimes wonder if the average punter that visits this site has a perspective of Thailand that extends beyond the bar stool.

Heh-heh! :o The number of clowns who've given me the benefit of their 'infinite wisdom' regarding Thailand because they've been to the tourist areas is like the number of grains of sand on a beach.

Astral.

I, for one, am most appreciative of diverse and even contrarians opinions. It is always good to shake up the old balance and then let it revert a new position of homeostasis.

But, respectfully, it is reasonable to conclude or consider “ability” commentary as more like ridicule, condescendence and prejudice.

Which, in any logic, is not a just an opinion but a “statement”. A statement akin to and like judgmental chastisement that appears all to prevalently among westerns that are more and more evolving into cultures inspired by intolerance and cynicism.

Cynicism now so culturally inbreed into the western concepts of free speech and rights of opinion that they have developed into a cultural propensity to be critical verse tolerant, of nearly all things, people and ways for whom they find dislike or disagreement. This is the expressive judgmental chastisement I speak of. Again we differ but hopefully communicate.

I appreciate your educator perspective, as it is noble profession with little reward. But would respectfully disagree that your observation and I assume experiences reflect a “truism” as to Thai’s ability to think critically now or in the future. You, I bet have success stories that contradict this ability concept.

I, we, have heard this same rational and logic in pre 1960’s America about various minorities and their innate abilities. Likewise, the same logic flowed from many former western imperialistic societies in their literature and expression about other 3rd world people of that time and era as well. They lack this or that ability being the theme.

These types of commentaries are akin to what I call resistive assimilation. A point of view, I might add, that accentuates a western belief that if we think it’s best for someone it is, even, if they neither need and or want it.

But, rather, I would point, is a reflection we all are guilty of. It is our inbreed bias, or un-acceptance, intolerance or, if you will, a cultural imprinting of our way is the way and the truth as we judge specific to others cultural idiosyncrasy.

I would also respectively disagree that the Thai’s are being scammed, in total, any more than in most western societies as well as in most 3rd world countries or as a matter of fact anymore than in the minorities or immigrant ghettoes in America, Britain, France and Germany.

Most of all, I would state that opportunity and economic sultanates, not innate ability is the core of the issue as to Thai’ having the ability to think for themselves as we speak of here.

As Darwin has alluded to, take a bird and put him on a different island and he, obviously over generations, becomes a different bird.

Likewise not all birds can sing or are beautiful as it is the way of things on this earth. I submit, as with the Thai’s and the 3rd world, there is no different. Self determined opportunity not innate ability!

Again what I have opinionated here and a few bhat might get you a cup of coffee.

That is all! :o

EC bans exit poll on Bangkok governor election

BANGKOK: -- Fearing exit poll could influence voting, Thailand's Election Commission (EC) decided Saturday to ban the conduct, as millions of voters in the capital city of Bangkok are scheduled to elect a new governor today.

Pol. Maj. Gen. Ekachai Warunprapha, Secretary-General to the EC, told reporters that the EC wanted a voter's choice made inside a ballot booth to be kept confidential.

He said breaching the ban would mean a withdrawal from the race.

''The EC fears candidates may exploit exit polls for their own gain by misleading voters. The ban is constitutional, and any candidate who challenges it will be put out of the race,'' he said .

As the election day draws near, a ban on voters is also enforced barring them from disclosing their choices to fellow votors or candidates until a final result, according to Pol. Maj. Gen. Ekachai.

''If votors do otherwise, they will face a jail term ranging from 1 to 10 years, and a heavy fine from 20,000 to 200,000 baht. And under the Thai election laws, culprits will be stripped of their voting right for 10 years,'' he said.

Gambling on the election has also been made illegal, said Pol. Maj. Gen. Ekachai, adding that the EC has asked police to crack down on election gamblers.

''If found quilty, they will be barred from exercising their voting right as well,'' he said.

In the digital age, the EC seems to have more to worry about. It has advised major mobile phone service providers --both AIS and DTAC-- not to organise an expit poll, as the act would breach the election law.

AIS or Advance Information Service is Thailand's biggest mobile phone company under the wing of Shin Corp, which belongs to Prime Minister Thaksina Shinawatra's family, while DTAC is another leading wireless communications brand, providing mobile multimedia service.

The popular Dusit Poll, a public poll conductor in Bangkok, has also been told not to carry out its activity on the election day, while Thai newspapers and other media have been advised against publishing any opinion polls.

Asked whether Pol. Maj. Gen. Pongsapat Pongcharoen, a leading team member of Mrs. Paveena Hongsakul who fields in the race, has breached the law by showing up alongside Mr. Thaksin to inspect a canal boat service for the election, Pol. Maj. Gen. Ekachai said it depended on the EC to judge.

Pol. Maj. Gen. Pongsapat, who is also the Royal Thai Police Spokesman, would become one of Mrs. Paveena's deputies if she wins the election.

He has been criticised in the media for exploiting his public appearance with the prime minister for his political gain.

--TNA 2004-08-29