Strimmers

thoongfoned

We've got a Robin...had it for three years....had not problems.....farm use....about 5000 baht.....I'm thinking of getting another one so my dear wife and I can work side by side....I guess I'm just a romantic farmer....

Isn't giving a Thai woman a strimmer even riskier than letting her buy ducks???

Our garden man has a Robin, ancient and totally reliable :o

A friend of mine always bought the two stroke models. You have to mix oil with the gas. He has bought four of them over the past few years. It's either too much oil and it fouls the spark plug or worse, not enough and it cooks the engine. I bought a four stroke Honda. Yes, I paid more but no mixing gas and oil. It's about a year old and has never missed a beat. Great little machine.

If you can find one a Stihl fs120 works great Not sure where to fink them in Thailand , but have seen Thais using their chain saw. We have one I brought from US, we used it there and here on farm for past 6 years. It does require fuel mix, but I mix up 5 gallon at a time for help. If they run out wife mixes more. She bought it so she does not trust her Thai family to mix fuel. It has more power than anything we have found here, We have a honda and a Mitsu also an the Stihl works circles around them (might be wife is more enthused.

The Isaan weed-eater massacre has started.

Top of the list for me is Stihl equipment 32cc straight shaft.

Prefer also a bonded clutch, rather than the steel ones.

As were in Isaan folks, this means you can forget Stihl weed-eaters unless you BYO.

I made the 2nd choice of a LG 2-stroke model 27cc which I like to call a ‘lightweight brush cutter’ straight shaft also cost around 6thou in baht with a so called cutting blade three pointed star attached.

Not even in the same class as Stihl but I prefer to let the farm hand run the LG.

Looked seriously at the Honda at 8thou, 4-stroke deal but after a test run preferred the pick-up of a 2-stroke while cutting longer damp grass ‘which is the priority job involved’

Kubota dealers and mech's Shops around have name brand model in the 6 thou mark which are worth a look?, plus there are back-pack model kind with flex handle available, again looked interesting but I had never heard of this brand so flagged it.

Nearly made the mistake of buy an EL-Cheap-O for around 3-thou baht depending on the street vender they have a red plastic cowling some with a H on them. Vender may even say ‘yep there Honda’s’ but be warned their Chinese rubbish.

As like the rest of there equipment.

Last but not least if you’re cutting long grass for the farm animals, throw the star blades or triangle blades in the bin, buy a 9”saw blade wood kind they bolt straight on and save time on the job.

Don’t know what kind of land clearing your doing or plain, but it’s better for me to rely on a combo of equipment..

Grass cutting animal feed:

A) Lightweight brush cutter x2

Land clearing:

A) Tractor x2

:o Stihl chainsaw’s can we talk about that, or do people start to go pale.

Regards

C-Cip

We call them 'weed whackwhackers' or 'weed eaters' in the us...

I've been thinking of getting one just to trim where the mower doesn't, but i prefer the string cutter head over that scary metal blade. not clearing brush, but trimming next to rocks and pathways. haven't seen the fixed string type of head here where you pre cut string and simply replace it when the string gets too short. not the continous feed string that always feeds too much string.

anyone seen them here?? CM or northern thailand preferably.

When I bought the four stroke Honda the dealer tried to discourage me. Told me that the two strokes had much more power. That is true but the Honda has plenty for our use. In fact my wife normally uses it at high idle. She is afraid to rev it up so a two stroke would be no advantage and probably a disadvantage for her. The four stroke has a lot more torque at low RPM's.

Added - As far as the string cutters, I have seen in magazines where they sell you a new cutting head and have individual strings. The plastic or whatever they are made from strings have a little ball on one end and snap into the cutting head. When one is worn out you snap a new one in. Looks like a great idea rather than the string wasting autofeeder.

Edited by Gary A

hi,

had a look around afew shops yesterday and looks like i will go for the 4 stroke honda. around b8000 with a years "garentee".

saw some of the robins about, but all were 2 stroke and around b10000. was also told that makita has taken over the company. makitas mostly around the b10000 also.

cheers.