Let's Ask Nienke

Ulysses G.

If your cat returns, then it is also advisable to bring him to the vet for a check up as there is a lot of leukemia and FIV under the cats roaming the streets (both owned and strays). Especially male cats are prone to get infecting during fights over the females.

Nienke

Nieke, we have a male cat that we have taken in that has been neutered and has his shots. He has adopted a crazy female cat that is frightened of humans and sleeps and eats here when she feels like it, but is too nutty to give shots.

She had babies a few months ago, but they all died before we found them and she is so screwed up, I wouldn't be surprised if this happens every time she gets pregnant. We would like to fix her, but she is too wild. She has finally allowed us to get close to her and lightly pet her after staying with us for about 6 months, but she will bolt in a second if she wants to.

Do you have any suggestions about this situation?

Edited by Ulysses G.

Hi UG,

No, I don't really have experience in such situations. Unfortunately, I can't have any cats myself. My sweethearts dogs won't except that ... the b*strds, and they also keep all neighborhood strays out. The cats I have in boarding are all owned and are safe in their kennel. And boy, they know that! :o

Anyway, there are two options I can think off for your male cat's g/f is to catch her. A.) Catching her in such a metal cage that is used for rats. They go in and the door closes. Not exactly an easy thing to do as cats ain't stupid. B.) Sedate her with a blow-pipe (you can try to put it in the food, but most cats can smell the med and won't eat the food). For option B you must be 100% sure that you will be able to find the cat once it's sedated. Because once hit the cat very possible will run and hide.

Once caught you immediately bring the cat to the vet for spaying her, provided she is in good health. Whether she is in good health is difficult to tell as she can be carrier of leukemia and/or FIV or has other underlying diseases.

Priceless may be able to advice you better than I can, as he has much more experience with cats. And Allyt, as she has been working for Care for Dogs a considerable time and, I assume, has come accross stray cats and this problem a lot during that period. Firthermore, there is naigreg who's volunteering for Lanna Dog rescue.

Of course, you can also contact the other volunteers at Care for Dogs, like Karin or Sarah, or at Lanna Dog Rescue.

Nienke

Thank you for some ideas and the warnings. We would have to get her in a locked room to try anything as she would run for sure.

I am very careful now when they wake up from a sedative. The last two male cats that we had were quite good natured, but went absolutaly beserk when coming to after giving them the chop. :o

I've seen some cats waking up after the operation. I really didn't like what I saw. One otherwise very sweet and affectionate cat turned into a lioness. It took her two days to get back to her usual self. But then, there isn't much of an alternative.

It is very possible though, that after the operation you will never see her again. IMO, cats are very special animals and they can really get pissed off with someone.

Nienke

It's a tricky situation UG.

I had a wild cat in the pub, built up enough trust to be able to touch her (though not for any extended time.) She had kittens and fearing we would be overrun by constant litters I caught her and had her done. Kept her in a large room all week for recovery as I knew we would struggle to catch her to remove the stitches. Two months after being released she will still come nowhere near anyone although she still hangs around eats the food we put down. I suspecg she will never trust people to get close again but she looks in good health.

No particular advice to give but thought I would pass on my experience.

I believe it's Ally you need.

BTW - cat's not crazy - very likely has been abused :D:o .

I'm afraid that someone hurt her badly when she was young. On top of that her eyes don't seem to register light correctly, so her pupils don't change and she looks angry/crazy all of the time. Maybe from a blow to the head?

I'd guess that's a possibilty but there are many others. Might be congenital, might be carcinoma, might be something that can be treated. All the more reason to get her to a vet.

Obviously the disabilty compounds her woes.

Might be good to keep her inside to avoid pregnancy and other issues.

I do hope you will contact Ally.

I'd guess that's a possibilty but there are many others. Might be congenital, might be carcinoma, might be something that can be treated. All the more reason to get her to a vet.

Obviously the disabilty compounds her woes.

Might be good to keep her inside to avoid pregnancy and other issues.

I do hope you will contact Ally.

How do I contact Ally?