Thai Airways Orders 6 Airbus Superjumbos

george

Thai Airways Orders 6 Airbus Superjumbos

PARIS: -- Thai Airways has agreed to buy six Airbus A380s, becoming the 13th airline to order the new "superjumbo" airplane, the European aircraft maker said Friday.

Thai Airways International Ltd. signed a memorandum of understanding to acquire six of the 555-seaters in 2008 and 2009, as well as two A340 long-range jets, Airbus said in a statement.

The deal is worth up to $2.1 billion at list prices. But Airbus spokesman Tore Prang said final details of the order had yet to be negotiated with the airline.

The Airbus statement said Thai Airways planned to use the A380s on long-haul routes from Bangkok to European destinations.

Toulouse-based Airbus SAS is betting its future on strong demand for the A380 for busy long-haul routes. So far it has 129 firm orders as well as commitments to buy another 10 planes from a total of 13 customers. The A380 is set to enter service in 2006.

U.S. rival Boeing Co. is backing a different strategy based on its smaller 7E7 "Dreamliner," scheduled to enter service two years later.

Boeing says its new plane will fly faster, higher, farther, cleaner, quieter and more efficiently than any other medium-sized jet, using 20 percent less fuel. Boeing has dropped projects for an enlarged jumbo jet that would have directly competed with the A380.

Singapore Airlines Ltd., which is set to be the first airline to fly the A380 in 2006, delivered a blow to Airbus this week when it chose Boeing's 777-300ER over the Airbus A340-600.

In a deal worth $7.35 billion at list prices, Singapore ordered 18 of the long-range Boeing jets with options on a further 13, but postponed a decision on whether to buy the 7E7 in what was seen as a setback to Boeing's longer-term fortunes.

Airbus outpaced Boeing in deliveries for the first time ever last year, delivering 305 planes to Boeing's 281, and has said it is on track to beat that score in 2004 as the aviation market improves.

"The market's definitely turned," said Prang. "We're getting questions from customers on how they can get their aircraft delivered earlier."

--Agencies 2004-08-27

It would have served a better purpose to use those funds for repairs to equipment on exisiting craft - especially the seats, toilets and headphones! A small budget allocated towards tightening all screws, nuts and bolts, to reduce that hellish rattling on take-off would not hurt too!

If I am not mistaken, the runways at Don Muang are currently not capable of handling the A380. I wonder if the new airport is designed to accomodate the new design. This seems a rather risky order for an airline that is under serious pressure from competitors. Will be interested how this plays out.

If I am not mistaken, the runways at Don Muang are currently not capable of handling the A380.

I'm pretty sure that a standard jetway won't handle the A380's either which means reconfiguration at the terminal buildings.

The crocodile swamp airport shold be open next year and I am sure having read somewhere, they can accept 380ies.

Not long ago, Don Muang could not accomodate 777s on the main terminal. Had to park outside, every time I came in a 777 the pilot apologized but than mentioned that the bus will take us straight to immigration. Now they have the new thing, around gate 52 ....Takes half a day to walk from/to there unless you use one of the carts.

If I am not mistaken, the runways at Don Muang are currently not capable of handling the A380. I wonder if the new airport is designed to accomodate the new design. This seems a rather risky order for an airline that is under serious pressure from competitors. Will be interested how this plays out.

Phase 1 - currently under construction - is too far advanced to be modified to accept the new aircraft (or so they say).

Therefore Phases 2 and 3 are essential to maintain the BKK airport as a leading hub in SE Asia.

OK for me, hopefully means that I'll have work for the next five years. :o:D:D