Security

zoolander

I have stainless security bars inside, decent locks

I have had one burglary event where they did not get in (hey hey the idiot farang has arrived, doubtless from the local drunks, I really don't know because has not yet been caught)

Apart from that, nothing.

Usual security precautions I suppose, lights outside, decent neighbours who keep an eye out. It happens all over the world, Issan is no worse or better

John

Edited by yorkman

I (sorry my wife) have a shop and home in a remote village. Last week my wife tells me the shop in the next village was looted during the night.

My question is what security measures do you take here in an Isaan village..........

I live on a farm outside of our village and funny how the thai people tend to avoid walking or cycling near our fenceline. Must be something to do with our young and large german shepherd barking at anyone who comes near. Truth be known, he wouldnt hurt a fly. But appearances can be an advantage.

I (sorry my wife) have a shop and home in a remote village. Last week my wife tells me the shop in the next village was looted during the night.

My question is what security measures do you take here in an Isaan village..........

A couple of large dogs that not only make a noise but look the part, inside a fenced area of your space.

Thai,s are generally apprehensive to come inside, to say the least.

Let the nearest Tourist police know of your location , if you haven,t already done so.

The ones that know where i am in Udonthani make infrequent drive bye,s, even at night.

More importantly they have visited the Moo Ban " BIG BOSS PUYAI " as she calls him and put the word out that i / we are to be looked after.

Now that is really nice of them and how considerate, don,t you think, especially while i,m in the U.K. and she,s alone.

Last night by coincidence was one of them while we were just going to bed, lights flashing on top of the patrol car.

They have totally refused any sort of reward that my wife offered them, but she will take them an appreciation gift for Christmas which cannot be seen as a bribe or whatever

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

Just locks the doors at night and installed outside lights. Else when the puppy gets bigger I hope he will voice is oppinion on anyone entering the property after dark.

Other than that the village head man is my wifes uncle. And on friendly terms with the neighbours. Else all is welcome to our house, but mostly it's just familly who comes by to have a chat with the wife.

There were a couple of village deadbeats coming over once to ask for lao kao. My wife sent them packing. They came back ten minutes later and eyed the new motocy and displaying some attitude. My wife again told them in not so nice and diplomatic words to get lost, and that night we locked the motocy inside the house. Next morning she had a chat with their folks, accompanied by her uncle, and the two idiots have not been seen around here since.

When we go away windows and doors get gets bolted up and chained shut, and the motocy's parked at the police station. And one of her uncles keep an eye on the place.

I feel very safe.

Two active dogs, an outside light left on at night, and on the same soi as the Police Station so there are policeman coming past to go on or off duty. Any criminal is going to go after some easier target.

It is my wife who doesn't feel safe!

She worries about "Gang come" whenever we hear about a burglary anywhere in the area.

The only crime that I have come across in ten years has been a couple of baddies from the city.

They set themselves up on a quiet road leading from a village to the Amphur and pretended to have a problem with their motorbike so they could do the 'highwayman' trick.

i feel very safe :o

10009553cp.jpg

matt

Hmmm.... and picture from the local clay pidgeon shooting club ( I can read the stock inscriptions) adds to this how?.

You are not suggesting shooting the local low lifes surely? A lower profile solution is all that is needed I would suggest :D You may want to buy a shirt as per the Thai on your left, it would lower your profile even further

A thief is a thief. You find them everywhere in every country. We have a ten rai farm in the middle of no where. We put in a pond and they steal the fish and anything else my wife grows. No wonder we got it for 18,000 baht per rai. We are now going to plant eucalyptus trees and hope they don't steal the trees. Stealing trees is NOT out of the question either. There were a few decent size hard wood trees when we bought the property and they are gone. Fortunately most thieves are cowards and are not violent.

A determined thief can get into nearly any house. We have a two meter high block wall around our property and the house has security bars on the doors and windows. Probably the best defense we have is our VERY large Golden Retriever. He is not the least bit aggressive BUT he has a loud bark and his deep growl would keep anyone from testing him after dark.

keep the doors and windows locked when we are out or asleep and hope for the best as in any country

We have 3 Thai Bangkaew dogs (and soon new puppies) sleeping outside the house,

and 2 French Mastifs sleeping inside.

Good alert/guard dogs, and good company! :o

Black & White are now 11 months, and the Mastifs are 3.5 year.

post-24958-1197262169_thumb.jpg

post-24958-1197262319_thumb.jpg

A good dog is a good idea.

In the UK alot of larger home owners swear by Geese as very good protection and making alot of noise if people come around. A good dog will understand if the Geese make noise there is good potential for trouble.

Are Geese any good for Thailand villages i have not seen many Geese.

I think maybe they taste too much like chicken. :o

A good dog is a good idea.

In the UK alot of larger home owners swear by Geese as very good protection and making alot of noise if people come around. A good dog will understand if the Geese make noise there is good potential for trouble.

Are Geese any good for Thailand villages i have not seen many Geese.

I think maybe they taste too much like chicken. :o

Actually in the UK they use (possibly used) Geese in Army ammunition dumps because they make one h**l of a racket if disturbed, especially at night. It was simpler than patrolling it all the time.

The problem is they are prone to the same behaviour at other times too, I would not want to live with that :D

.....its when the guns are turned on you when it might become a problem!

Well yes, but my initial response was rather based on it being a rather, IMHO, opinion a silly response to the OP's question.

Of the intrusions that I have heard of, they have not come armed (knives sometimes) and they dash off if disturbed. There may be exceptions.

Shooting one is likely to drop you deep in it... never mind the legal practicalities of a non citizen keeping a firearm at home.

As mentioned before, I have had an attemped burglary. They simply could not get in using, judging by the damage caused, prybars and a hammer. Anything more determined than that has got to be a professional job surely?

We had a spate of them in the area. The police (surprisingly) did respond and made themself a lot more visible and it stopped.

Ahhh, I forgot about this. In single storey buildings it is apparently common for entry to be made via the roof. I don't have that issue (I hope) being 2 storey but it might be worth some thought.

Ahhh, I forgot about this. In single storey buildings it is apparently common for entry to be made via the roof. I don't have that issue (I hope) being 2 storey but it might be worth some thought.

In that case I hope the bleeding tokay lizard up there will get'em. The little critter is sure noisy at night, doing his little "f....you, f.... you" then tramping around up there. :o

i feel very safe :D

10009553cp.jpg

matt

Please, do not bring Yank culture to Isaan, thank you.

Cheers

jb

I'm not a Yank and I'm not a Brit but if you have a look this bloke comes from the Channel islands.

Someone should send him home to his Mum and tell him to put his toys away, buy a shirt and grow up. :o

I have bars on the windows and a locked gate. No dogs geese or guns. I have never felt safer than i do now. A couple of times i have forgotten to lock or close the windows of my car and i even left my bike out overnight once, they were still there in the morning.

Like GaryA said, thieves are everywhere, (i worked in jail for 6 years and knew plenty), so if someone puts enough effort in to it they will rob you whatever precautions you take.

I'm not a Yank and I'm not a Brit but if you have a look this bloke comes from the Channel islands.

Someone should send him home to his Mum and tell him to put his toys away, buy a shirt and grow up. :D

Agreed, and to think the OP asked a simple question about home security in Issan, there is always one :o

Edited by yorkman

I have bars on the windows and a locked gate. No dogs geese or guns. I have never felt safer than i do now. A couple of times i have forgotten to lock or close the windows of my car and i even left my bike out overnight once, they were still there in the morning.

Exactly Nidge, its very safe in Issan

I have had one go at burglary, they failed (was probably a local drunk), not a problem since with basic precautions. I feel very safe too

We have no bars, poor quality locks, unlocked gates. The house is open all day, people come and go. We can leave the windows open when we go out. We have had no problems.

I am not saying there are no thieves, they are everywhere, but the village and locality I live they are good people, who havent lost the family ties, have respect for others etc.

Regarding robbery here, a garden wall would not stop someone, I have seen children on the top of the posts of my wall. The windows are easily smashed or the roof is easy. The walls wouldnt be that hard to break with a sledgehammer. But I am thinking like I did in England, where I was robbed when someone smashed the back door when I was out at work. The worry about robbery in the UK leads people to lock themselves away, not a way I wanted to live.

Around our village people leave rice out on the road, drying or in bags, no one steals it, but it would be easy money (800bht a bag) in the middle of the night.

In the two years I have been here, the only trouble was a farang in Pattaya wanting to try to beat me up for no reason.

Edited by andylee

• 2 weeks later...

The only thief we get is the father in law nicking my decent coffee every morning at 5am, other than that we have no trouble. If someone is determined then they will get in, we did have geese but they are dam_n noisy, much worse than dogs. The mum in law ate them one by one with my permission. Mum in law guards the place much better than anything i could buy.

Windows and doors have good quality bars so you can lock down the place at night time or when you go out, but normally someone is in the house. Good neighbours help. I bought a decent safe and had it bolted to the floor, which is handy for passports , documents and higher value items.