The Dodo Bird Returns

theateratthegate

THE DODO BIRD RETURNS!

The Gate Theater Group of Chiang Mai will restage their hit production, The Dodo Bird starting in January at the AUA language school auditorium, 25 Rajadamoen Rd. in Chiang Mai. The play will run Fridays and Saturdays for six performances starting Jan. 11th through the 26th. Doors open at 7:00 pm and performances starts at 7:30 pm. Donation at the door, 250 Bt.

The Dodo Bird is an intense one act drama which explores what it means to live on the fringe of society, to be a man who failed to achieve the universal dream of being able to sustain himself and his family and ceased to live by the culture’s standards.

The Dodo Bird represents those we often choose not to see: the guy with glazed eyes walking down the street talking to himself, carrying a bottle in a brown paper bag, maybe asking for change. All these Dodo Birds came from someplace, had parents once, maybe their own family, maybe a job. The story of how this particular human being reached this point of desperation and isolation is revealed in one evening in a bar across the street from the foundry, where the Dodo Bird is sober, washed, and waiting for a visit from his

estranged daughter.

Written by Emanuel Fried, The Dodo bird is a play to which people all over of the world can easily relate. Characters are blue collar work workers. The dialogue is natural and reveals the substance and fears of each as they banter about the hazards of the job, foibles of co-workers, unfairness of the bosses, and the questionable decisions of union bosses. However when the joke of the group, the one they all tease, the Dodo Bird of the title, orders coffee instead of a drink, the play changes direction. No one believes his explanation and the game that follows and the bets that are made just to get him to return to the way they are accustomed to seeing him, makes for a tensely, revealing, and dramatic evening of theater.

The play features Carissa Cabrera, James Kateley, David Arnold, and Stephan Turner.

For more information or reservations write to thegatetheater(at)asia.com or call 08-71-772195 No advance ticket sales.[/size]

Edited by theateratthegate

• 4 weeks later...

Gate Theater, I'm coming to see the show tonight! I hear good things from the 5 or so folks I know who saw it last time around. I expect it to be intense n good. Can't wait. I'll be there with a couple friends in tow. And then I'll make a little follow up tmw after I've seen it. Finally a little theater and culture in CM! Imagine that.

can someone give me directions

From the original post:

"at the AUA language school auditorium, 25 Rajadamoen Rd. in Chiang Mai."

From Thapae Gate, inside the moat, go about 100 meters. It's on the right hand side.

Great stuff last night! Theater in Chiang Mai. There wasn't one person who didn't enjoy the show. Everybody said they'd recommend it to others too. Sadly it's the word of mouth that's gonna have to generate publicity for your existence and performances in Chiang Mai, as the Expat community is so spread out and diverse. I hope more go to see it. Powerful show. Thought provoking. And something different to do for a couple hours in Chiang Mai. Anybody wavering or thinking you maybe should go, JUST GO! You won't have any regrets. I'm excited to see any progress with getting the arts and culture going in CM. Keep us posted as the new projects come along.

Great stuff last night! Theater in Chiang Mai. There wasn't one person who didn't enjoy the show. Everybody said they'd recommend it to others too. Sadly it's the word of mouth that's gonna have to generate publicity for your existence and performances in Chiang Mai, as the Expat community is so spread out and diverse. I hope more go to see it. Powerful show. Thought provoking. And something different to do for a couple hours in Chiang Mai. Anybody wavering or thinking you maybe should go, JUST GO! You won't have any regrets. I'm excited to see any progress with getting the arts and culture going in CM. Keep us posted as the new projects come along.

Thanks for your support and we really appreciate the support of the Writers Club as well. Real nice bunch of people who share a common interest in the arts.

If we can stay the course we feel positive the audience numbers will increase. Starting out is always the toughest time. But If we can attract the first time theater goers they will see something unique and hopefully, as you say, word of mouth will kick in.

I know you have been working with the Do it Night open Mic over at Sanita's Gratto for over a year. Have you noticed a word of mouth effect in terms of increasing your audiences?

• 2 weeks later...

Just doing my little part to remind ppl that Tonight n Tmw nights are the last to catch The Dodo Bird! It is a great performance and will leave you thinking, moved, etc. And what a cool thing to support all of these ppl who went to all the trouble behind the scenes to make this happen here! Everyone who was in attendance the night I saw it felt that way and said they'd pass on the good word to others. Here I am doing that to my virtual acquaintances. Get yer ar$es out there n go see it!

And ..it's only 250B, at the AUA. An easy good night out with something to do.

THE DODO BIRD RETURNS!

The Gate Theater Group of Chiang Mai will restage their hit production, The Dodo Bird starting in January at the AUA language school auditorium, 25 Rajadamoen Rd. in Chiang Mai. The play will run Fridays and Saturdays for six performances starting Jan. 11th through the 26th. Doors open at 7:00 pm and performances starts at 7:30 pm. Donation at the door, 250 Bt.

The Dodo Bird is an intense one act drama which explores what it means to live on the fringe of society, to be a man who failed to achieve the universal dream of being able to sustain himself and his family and ceased to live by the culture’s standards.

The Dodo Bird represents those we often choose not to see: the guy with glazed eyes walking down the street talking to himself, carrying a bottle in a brown paper bag, maybe asking for change. All these Dodo Birds came from someplace, had parents once, maybe their own family, maybe a job. The story of how this particular human being reached this point of desperation and isolation is revealed in one evening in a bar across the street from the foundry, where the Dodo Bird is sober, washed, and waiting for a visit from his

estranged daughter.

Written by Emanuel Fried, The Dodo bird is a play to which people all over of the world can easily relate. Characters are blue collar work workers. The dialogue is natural and reveals the substance and fears of each as they banter about the hazards of the job, foibles of co-workers, unfairness of the bosses, and the questionable decisions of union bosses. However when the joke of the group, the one they all tease, the Dodo Bird of the title, orders coffee instead of a drink, the play changes direction. No one believes his explanation and the game that follows and the bets that are made just to get him to return to the way they are accustomed to seeing him, makes for a tensely, revealing, and dramatic evening of theater.

The play features Carissa Cabrera, James Kateley, David Arnold, and Stephan Turner.

For more information or reservations write to thegatetheater(at)asia.com or call 08-71-772195 No advance ticket sales.[/size]

This is by far one of the best live, English Language theater performances ever staged in Chiang Mai. The play has received great reviews which are very well deserved. The last performance is tonight (Friday) at 7:30 pm. Don't miss it!

Just doing my little part to remind ppl that Tonight n Tmw nights are the last to catch The Dodo Bird! It is a great performance and will leave you thinking, moved, etc. And what a cool thing to support all of these ppl who went to all the trouble behind the scenes to make this happen here! Everyone who was in attendance the night I saw it felt that way and said they'd pass on the good word to others. Here I am doing that to my virtual acquaintances. Get yer ar$es out there n go see it!

And ..it's only 250B, at the AUA. An easy good night out with something to do.

Well, I got my ar** out there yesterday evening (last performance), with my family, and we all thought it was great performance. So, I can absolutely second what RTD was saying.

A big thanks to all involved in The Dodo Bird for a great evening! :o

Nienke