America To Require 10 Fingerprints At All Airports

sriracha john

US to require 10 fingerprints at all airports

Washington - For foreign nationals upset about being fingerprinted when they enter the United States, it's getting worse. Over the next few months, major US airports from Boston to San Francisco will start requiring 10 fingerprints from most non-US citizens - not just both index fingers - to help prevent terrorism.

By the end of 2008, all US points of entry will enforce the rule, the Homeland Security Department (DHS) said Monday. The new rule will make it easier for border officials to check the fingerprints against a government database of terrorist suspects.

Dulles International, Washington's main airport, started the new procedure November 20. New York's Kennedy airport, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago OHare airport, San Francisco, Houston, Miami, Detroit and Orlando, Florida, will follow during the next few months, DHS said.

To enter the country, most foreign nationals between ages 14 and 79 who arrive in the US or apply for visas will have to provide the digital fingerprints as well as a photograph, DHS said.

- DPA

But I've only got eight fingers! :o

most foreign nationals between ages 14 and 79 who arrive in the US or apply for visas will have to provide the digital fingerprints

Are they placing the onus on the visitor to obtain the fingerprints? Sounds like a buck or two to be made at airports taking fingerprints but how, and in what format, does the traveller carry them?

I am sure they will just take the digital print of all fingers at their scanners and not just the index fingers. No really any more intrusive because already providing the index finger so what's the big deal about providing the other 8 as well.

Not that it will do any good...just more CYA activity by the Homeland Insecurity Department. Like OBL (or any potential terrorist) is going to purchase a first class ticket on a flight to the USA (he is from one of the richest families in Saudi) and try to enter the country thru an airport.

US to require 10 fingerprints at all airports

Washington - For foreign nationals upset about being fingerprinted when they enter the United States, it's getting worse. Over the next few months, major US airports from Boston to San Francisco will start requiring 10 fingerprints from most non-US citizens - not just both index fingers - to help prevent terrorism.

By the end of 2008, all US points of entry will enforce the rule, the Homeland Security Department (DHS) said Monday. The new rule will make it easier for border officials to check the fingerprints against a government database of terrorist suspects.

Dulles International, Washington's main airport, started the new procedure November 20. New York's Kennedy airport, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago OHare airport, San Francisco, Houston, Miami, Detroit and Orlando, Florida, will follow during the next few months, DHS said.

To enter the country, most foreign nationals between ages 14 and 79 who arrive in the US or apply for visas will have to provide the digital fingerprints as well as a photograph, DHS said.

- DPA

Another histerical sign of the agonising Bush administration which is NOT going to help anyone lest the perception that the USA regards the rest of the world as "potential terrorists"; very sad.

I think Japan recently started fingerprinting visitors again, after having done up until 2000, then halting the practice.

I think the EU and other countries are considering implementing similar procedures.

And, AFAIK, some people applying for Work Permits here in Thailand might be required to prove that they are not currently wanted for any crimes in their home country, and in some cases this requires submittal of fingerprints.

I think DHS is moving to the 10 fingerprint system in order to better integrate with the FBI's system (IAFIS). Doesn't seem like a big deal, just new scanners. I can't see how ten fingerprints is any more intrusive than two?

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/programs/gc_1194553866460.shtm

10-Fingerprint Scanners to Deploy at all Ports of Entry

The Department of Homeland Security plans to replace the current two-fingerprint scanners with new 10‑fingerprint scanners at all U.S. ports of entry over the next year.

On November 29, 2007, Homeland Security will begin the initial transition at Washington Dulles International Airport. In early 2008, nine U.S. airports will also collect additional fingerprints from international visitors. They include:

* Boston Logan International Airport (Boston, Mass.)

* Chicago O’Hare International Airport (Chicago, Ill.)

* Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (Detroit, Mich.)

* Hartsfield‑Jackson Atlanta International Airport (Atlanta, Ga.)

* George Bush Houston Intercontinental Airport (Houston, Texas)

* Miami International Airport (Miami, Fla.)

* John F. Kennedy International Airport (New York, N.Y.)

* Orlando International Airport (Orlando, Fla.)

* San Francisco International Airport. (San Francisco, Calif.)

The Department of State currently uses 10‑fingerprint scanners at most of its visa‑issuing posts and will complete deployment worldwide by the end of 2007.

The transition from collecting two digital fingerprints to collecting 10 fingerprints from international visitors is one of the department’s top priorities because it furthers the department's ability to keep dangerous people out of the United States, while making legitimate travel more efficient.

They don't treat alot of us returning citizens so well either; at least you get to have a good time with your rock hard Euros and pounds.

Treated very courteously on my recent return a few months ago (entry through SFO).

Proving absolutely NOTHING.

I feel a POLL coming on ...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=158221&hl=

Edited by Jingthing

It's just a matter of time before American Citizens returning from travel abroad are subject to fingerprinting as well. Let's see what happens after the next general election,

I certain wish they do. Consider what they found lot of homegrown Muslim terrorists in Miami, Tampa, Detroi recently. They are on trial at present.

Been very nervous every time taking a flight. All the inconvenients like fingerprints, x-ray, put out shoes-belt-coat-hat-watch-rings-necklets-liquid bottle etc, actually, it makes me feel more safe if the airport security officers do their job diligently.

This is the world we live now, whether you like it or not. Be realistic.

quoted....."Treated very courteously on my recent return a few months ago (entry through SFO). ..."

Same here!

That's why always feel good and in relax mood when coming home to the US. :D

I have nothing but praise them, start with "Welcome Home" along with sincere smile and a friendly small talk, I always joke back, ends with a big laugh. :o:D:D

I am sure they will just take the digital print of all fingers at their scanners and not just the index fingers. No really any more intrusive because already providing the index finger so what's the big deal about providing the other 8 as well.

Not that it will do any good...just more CYA activity by the Homeland Insecurity Department. Like OBL (or any potential terrorist) is going to purchase a first class ticket on a flight to the USA (he is from one of the richest families in Saudi) and try to enter the country thru an airport.

The requirement is no big deal as most agencies now do a "live scan" which takes all of ten seconds to complete (less with fewer fingers). :o Of course, you still have to do some form fill-ins, but isn't that the norm these days?

Just wait until the first would-be terrorist attempts to smuggle explosives onboard in their anus.

You think the fluid ban is a pain in the arse

OMG! Does that conjure a weird perverted image in my sick mind.

There could be 2 lines. One with a smiley face. the other with a grimace.

How about our DNA too while they're at it? The word LEMMINGS comes to mind.

I know, it's OK with you. We know. We know.

Jingthing--Shhhhh you might give 'em an idea about DNA samples.

Just wait until the first would-be terrorist attempts to smuggle explosives onboard in their anus.

You think the fluid ban is a pain in the arse

OMG! Does that conjure a weird perverted image in my sick mind.

There could be 2 lines. One with a smiley face. the other with a grimace.

Including the DNA sampling, they'll need 3 lines..... one leading to a door with a :o sign on it.

Edited by sriracha john

Doesn't apply to Mexicans - the source of the USA's cheap labour and to Canadians- the largest supplier of energy and most biggest consumer of USA products. Now maybe if those required to give fingerprints were of value, things would be different...............

Sort of like Thailand where money talks aint it?

It's just a matter of time before American Citizens returning from travel abroad are subject to fingerprinting as well. Let's see what happens after the next general election,

I certain wish they do. Consider what they found lot of homegrown Muslim terrorists in Miami, Tampa, Detroi recently. They are on trial at present.

Been very nervous every time taking a flight. All the inconvenients like fingerprints, x-ray, put out shoes-belt-coat-hat-watch-rings-necklets-liquid bottle etc, actually, it makes me feel more safe if the airport security officers do their job diligently.

This is the world we live now, whether you like it or not. Be realistic.

Haha, you get nervous every time you take a flight? Dude, you are pathetic. What else scares you? I'm guessing everything.

BTW, it was the US government who perpetrated 9/11, not some people in caves in Afghanistan, fyi. The only thing you should fear (and fight) is your own government.

I will visit the USA when Schwarzenegger becomes president and not before that. :o

Maybe in eight years?

Bloomberg/Schwarzenegger, don't let a petty item in the constitution get in the way of a great ticket!

The US did not attack itself and anyone who really believes that is probably certifiable. The same kind of people who don't believe a man ever walked on the moon ...

Edited by Jingthing

They don't treat alot of us returning citizens so well either; at least you get to have a good time with your rock hard Euros and pounds.

I concur with that. Even being a U.S. citizen, almost 50% of the time I go back to U.S. I get questioned by authorities for 10-20 min... while they were generally polite, in my book, government of a free society has no business asking their own citizens what they're up to, why they live where they do, why they're traveling, and why they're going back home. None of the "less free" countries I visited (and I've been to a few) had the least bit of interest in questioning me.

Land of the unfree and home of the scared... God bless America, we'll need it.

I think if usa continues down this silly path...soon all us citizens will require finger prints inbedded into an id card.

usa has become everything that wars were fought to prevent.

burn in flames.

Just don't take out anyone else on the way down.

I concur with that. Even being a U.S. citizen, almost 50% of the time I go back to U.S. I get questioned by authorities for 10-20 min... while they were generally polite, in my book, government of a free society has no business asking their own citizens what they're up to, why they live where they do, why they're traveling, and why they're going back home. None of the "less free" countries I visited (and I've been to a few) had the least bit of interest in questioning me.

Land of the unfree and home of the scared... God bless America, we'll need it.

I agree. I go further. This behavior is a strong symptom of a totalitarian police state. The sad part is that this didn't happen because the terrorists defeated us; rather we did it to ourselves, voluntarily.

And of course when our privacy is violated with these personal questions, we cooperate, like good lemmings, because we know if we don't its off the back room for the full cavity search.

You know the story of the frogs in a pot of water, and the temperature goes up very slowly, so the frogs don't realize they are slowly being boiled alive, all the while chattering about how their pot of water is the best and most free pot of water the world has ever known?

Edited by Jingthing