House Built Of Timber

Interman

I built a home from wood myself 30 years ago and it is still in use. The only wood that the termites here will not eat is teak and it is now too expensive to use for house construction. Save yourself a lot of grief and trouble and make it out of concrete.

Blessed I am,

My wifes father is a lumber jack. And has plenty of teak for us. Did you build the house yourself?

Will not be using wood myself but I have seen some nice houses built from wood although one of my pet hates is the use of nails instead of screws.

After care is very important too in keeping them looking nice.

How would screws be better? I imagine there would be alot of pre drilling.

Will not be using wood myself but I have seen some nice houses built from wood although one of my pet hates is the use of nails instead of screws.

How would screws be better? I imagine there would be alot of pre drilling.

Having worked in the past with my dad, a carpenter all his life, he usually uses a screw.

Yes it involves alot of pre drilling but that encourages a better job imo.

I have seen the attitude of 'that'll do, it looks ok' when something is being nailed in place.

And if you need to make a repair, important in Thailand with the termite problem, or maybe change the look of something, it's always easier to unscrew something than prise out something that has been nailed into place.

Nails work perfectly fine for house building....I did however use screws for the railings around the balcony. Tjo build an entire house entirely with screws would appreciably increase the cost both for materials and for labor....and in most places nothing would really be gained.

The high quality woods used to construct houses are so hard that even when nailing you have to predrill holes for the nails.

There are woods other than teak that resist termites....termites will even eat teak so even teak is not termite proof.

Chownah

... one of my pet hates is the use of nails instead of screws.

When I work around my residence, I too like to use screws when I can.

I don't like the fence boards coming loose after years of service, due to the wood shrinking around the nails making the holes larger. When I fix it, I do it with screws.

If I build a new wooden fence in the future, I intend to use screws instead of nails.

Save yourself a lot of grief and trouble and make it out of concrete.

I have heard people complaining that it is so hot in summer evenings inside concrete buildings. Anyone living in a concrete building facing west or southwest shares that problem?

The high quality woods used to construct houses are so hard that even when nailing you have to predrill holes for the nails.

There are woods other than teak that resist termites....termites will even eat teak so even teak is not termite proof.

Chownah

Redwood, especially the old growth ones, is supposed to be safe from termites too.

Termites are a really big problem. We live on the 9th floor in a condo on the beach and had termites in one of the bathroom windows. Replaced the wood with aluminum. A wood house here would be a scary proposition.

On one of the other threads they are useing all steel frames. The little buggers won't eat that.

I had termites on the 14th floor eating away at the moldings.