Windows Xp Sp3 Rc1

Guest Reimar

Now available to the public: Windows XP Service Pack 3 RC 1

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system.

This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers experience with the operating system.

File Size: 336,070 KB

Microsoft made a build of XP SP3 available to subscribers to its Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) and TechNet subscribers on December 3. At that time, company officials declined to say when the company planned to make a public test build of XP SP3 available.

Microsoft officials have said the final XP SP3 bits should be available some time in the first half of 2008. Who knows: If the Windows team follows in the Office 2007 team’s “underpromise/overdeliver” footsteps, maybe we’ll see the final XP SP3 release a few months early….)

Windows-XP-SP3-RC1-Build-3244-Download-Here-4.png

XP SP3 is primarily a collection of fixes and updates that Microsoft has released over the past few years since it rolled out XP SP2 in 2004. XP SP3 also does include a few brand-new features, like black-hole router detection; support for Network Access Protection (NAP) security-quarantining; enhanced security for administrator and service policy entries; inclusion of the Microsoft Kernel Mode Cryptographic Module; and Windows Product Activation modifications.

Download at Microsoft

Starts fine, but around 40% say corrupt and closes ?? have tried 3 times

Advise please..

Just wondered my Browser is Firefox........... must I download this in IE7 ?

You need to use an Downlaod Manager which you can find at Download (Free Download manager).

Starts fine, but around 40% say corrupt and closes ?? have tried 3 times

Advise please..

Just wondered my Browser is Firefox........... must I download this in IE7 ?

You need to use an Downlaod Manager which you can find at Download (Free Download manager).

Thanks for the replys but the credit goes to Microsoft I just informred and placed the link!

Hi Reimar,

is this SP3 a safe and fully tested version? I am not in the mood of running into problems. Should I wait some time to see feed-back from more courageous users?

is this install a block install or can I select what I want it to install?

opalhort

Hi Reimar,

is this SP3 a safe and fully tested version? I am not in the mood of running into problems. Should I wait some time to see feed-back from more courageous users?

is this install a block install or can I select what I want it to install?

opalhort

I don't have any problems with it and it's the Release Candidate 1 which means is near to release state! The replys showing an improve of XP after installation and that's on my system as well.

It's an "block" install but it will cancel all already installed and esisting upgrades so the installation times varies from system to system. It's not like the SP1 for Vista which need a "special" procedure for installation (I posted that procedure already) to get it installed without problems.

But it's up to you install or not but if you're looking for some improvements in XP you should install it.

Cheers

O.K. so going forward.  If in the future I reinstall my XP home I would then run the sp3 while connected to the internet from say a cd or folder if I copy it into one, and then go to windows update site for anything that came out after SP3.  Is that the way this is going to work?.  I hope.  It like an update cd or file with some included tune ups.??

edit ya and the restore points good ?? will they be there after this runs.

Edited by RKASA

is it possible to roll back (system restore) if I should run into problems?

opalhort

To be doubble sur, just create an Restore Point on one hand and on the other run Remove from the Controll Panel >Add and remove Programs!

O.K. so going forward. If in the future I reinstall my XP home I would then run the sp3 while connected to the internet from say a cd or folder if I copy it into one, and then go to windows update site for anything that came out after SP3. Is that the way this is going to work?. I hope. It like an update cd or file with some included tune ups.??

For the Future if you burn the SP3 to an CD, you dn't need to be connected to tyhe Internet. After installing SP3 you can use Windows Update for to get the latest Upgrades.

I would create an Restore Point before any Installation of an program and that's include SP3! The Restore Points will be there after installing SP3!

Any idea if this is safe for streamline installation CDs? I remember that SP2 required SP2 Beta to be uninstalled first, and this meant all WinXP SP2beta streamlined installations could never be updated.

I know using a beta service pack on an install CD is not the greatest idea, but there was an assumption by some that final release of SP2 would simply overwrite the beta files. It didn't.

That is vary good then.  I can get most updates done offline and have av installed before connecting and make update site the first stop on the net.  This will resolve one of the worst things in XP right now for alot of people and thats updates after reinstall.  The last time I did it I had a cd from Hiese that uses WGA (must be connected to MS to use it), but the updates to july 07 are on the cd.  It really makes fast work of reinstalling, but another 80mb was still on the site and growing.

Any idea if this is safe for streamline installation CDs? I remember that SP2 required SP2 Beta to be uninstalled first, and this meant all WinXP SP2beta streamlined installations could never be updated.

I know using a beta service pack on an install CD is not the greatest idea, but there was an assumption by some that final release of SP2 would simply overwrite the beta files. It didn't.

No Info from MS yet. But normal the Beta needs to be uninstalled which the RC1 or later don't need to be! But I'll check with my Source next time I talk with them.

O.K. so going forward. If in the future I reinstall my XP home I would then run the sp3 while connected to the internet from say a cd or folder if I copy it into one, and then go to windows update site for anything that came out after SP3. Is that the way this is going to work?. I hope. It like an update cd or file with some included tune ups.??

You can make an XP Install Cd yourself with SP2 integrated . Google for "slipstream XP cd"

I just tried to install SP3 and got a 'file corrupt' error while unpacking the cab files.

Downloaded the same file again and got the same error.

I did download from the link provided by the OP.

Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

opalhort

screen shot of error message:

post-3742-1197550903_thumb.jpg

Edited by opalhort

I just tried to install SP3 and got a 'file corrupt' error while unpacking the cab files.

opalhort

Me too facing the same installation problem with files corrupt error, got no idea what's went wrong and would not install again until I get clearer answers from other forum members.

The first three downloads all ended up with a 'file corrupt' error on the same file, but after downloading it a fourth time it has now installed without problems.

So far it appears to be working OK apart from a small problem with a printer driver for an Epson printer which is shared via this SP3 PC.

Positive so far is that programs appear to load faster and the screen refresh after closing a window is instant compared to before when it took many seconds to refresh all desktop icons.

opalhort

opalhort

Me too facing the same installation problem with files corrupt error, got no idea what's went wrong and would not install again until I get clearer answers from other forum members.

Have now tried 5 times, have even download a differend Download manager, but still get the above error message every time

I've used Fresh Download manager for all my tries.

Could it be that their servers can't handle the traffic?

Reimar, since you certainly have a clean file and are an expert in uploading to the download section, can you not park the file there for a certain time?

opalhort

I've used Fresh Download manager for all my tries.

Could it be that their servers can't handle the traffic?

Reimar, since you certainly have a clean file and are an expert in uploading to the download section, can you not park the file there for a certain time?

opalhort

Within the next 2 or 3 days I'll haven't any time for that because I'm very busy with on kob which need to be finished as soo as possible. After tah I'll upload the file again to the download. w8ill inform here if finish.

Cheers

Within the next 2 or 3 days I'll haven't any time for that because I'm very busy with on kob which need to be finished as soo as possible. After tah I'll upload the file again to the download. w8ill inform here if finish.

Cheers

Hi Reimar,

since I've got now an apparently clean file I can give it a try in uploading it (never tried it on TV). since the file name is a KM long is there any problem if I change it to something shorter?

opalhort

edit: where do I find the upload option? Download section is OK but where can I upload a file?

Edited by opalhort

Cheers

Hi Reimar,

since I've got now an apparently clean file I can give it a try in uploading it (never tried it on TV). since the file name is a KM long is there any problem if I change it to something shorter?

opalhort

edit: where do I find the upload option? Download section is OK but where can I upload a file?

As I don't have the time in the moment to sit the whole day to look the new post on the forum, I wrote that I'm very busy in the moment, it even not works just so. That task you was asking for isn't that easy and fast.

By the way, I even send an answer to the PM you was send to me and others. Please read the PM.

Thanks.

Very Strange........ as possed before have tried 5 time to download this...

This morning the MS ballon popped up saying download undates ?

there was 1x update Windows Xp Sp3 Rc1 have clicked on download and it downloaded with no problems..

Did notice that direct from MS to my PC size was 108MB, [still took 2hr 23mins] Not the 136MB as on this post.