Windows Vista Sp1 Rc

Guest Reimar

Help! I had a similar experience about the installation of updates. I was about to surf the net when my internet explorer hanged so i tried to restart my laptop. a screen appeared that says "Please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing 1 of 1.." I didn't know that my laptop was installing any updates. This update installation took too long so i tried to turn it off press the power button. After a while, I again turned it on. The store's logo (where i bought my laptop) appeared as usuall and after that the screen where it says "Resuming Windows". I thought it worked but the screen that says "Please do not power off..." appeared again. This was on the whole morning and I'm getting impatient about this. What can I do? :o

Seems to be that you use a laptop.

Ok, hold down the Power switch until the system powers off totally. After that start the comp again but in Safe Mode. Disable the Windows Update total. and restart the laptop.

If you still have problems, please post again.

Cheers.

how can I turn it into safe mode? i turned the laptop off and turned it on again but it still continues with the screen "Resuming Windows" and then the blue and green screen with the installation. :D

Help! I had a similar experience about the installation of updates. I was about to surf the net when my internet explorer hanged so i tried to restart my laptop. a screen appeared that says "Please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing 1 of 1.." I didn't know that my laptop was installing any updates. This update installation took too long so i tried to turn it off press the power button. After a while, I again turned it on. The store's logo (where i bought my laptop) appeared as usuall and after that the screen where it says "Resuming Windows". I thought it worked but the screen that says "Please do not power off..." appeared again. This was on the whole morning and I'm getting impatient about this. What can I do? :D

Ok, hold down the Power switch until the system powers off totally. After that start the comp again but in Safe Mode. Disable the Windows Update total. and restart the laptop.

Cheers.

hey! thanks for helping! :o

i restarted my laptop and pressed, F2/F12 (as told in another forum) but ut didn't work so i then again tried to restart my laptop and pressed F2/F12 and tried to press Ctrl+Alt+Del after, then it asked if i should continue to windows or delete installation data. o chose the latter option. Finally, I can now access windows again and i changed the setting of updates to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.

The lesson here is, as what i have read in another forum, DON'T SET WINDOWS UPDATE TO INSTALL UPDATES AUTOMATICALLY. It is much better because you'll have control on what your pc or laptop is doing.

Thank you so much for your help! :D

Edited by boomboomboie

Help! I had a similar experience about the installation of updates. I was about to surf the net when my internet explorer hanged so i tried to restart my laptop. a screen appeared that says "Please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing 1 of 1.." I didn't know that my laptop was installing any updates. This update installation took too long so i tried to turn it off press the power button. After a while, I again turned it on. The store's logo (where i bought my laptop) appeared as usuall and after that the screen where it says "Resuming Windows". I thought it worked but the screen that says "Please do not power off..." appeared again. This was on the whole morning and I'm getting impatient about this. What can I do? :D

Cheers.

hey! thanks for helping! :o

i restarted my laptop and pressed, F2/F12 (as told in another forum) but ut didn't work so i then again tried to restart my laptop and pressed F2/F12 and tried to press Ctrl+Alt+Del after, then it asked if i should continue to windows or delete installation data. o chose the latter option. Finally, I can now access windows again and i changed the setting of updates to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.

The lesson here is, as what i have read in another forum, DON'T SET WINDOWS UPDATE TO INSTALL UPDATES AUTOMATICALLY. It is much better because you'll have control on what your pc or laptop is doing.

Thank you so much for your help! :D

At startup of the laptop keep in intervals hitting the F8 key until a menue in DOS mode appears which let you choose different Startup modes. Use Safe Mode.

By the way, I now monitor the whole time because I still have some other work to do. So be a bit patient please.

Cheers.

I really don't understand why people install beta or rc 'service packs'. The idea of a service pack is to increase the reliability of your system. Betas and rc's are by definition, unreliable...

Ok so maybe some of you think its fun. Me, I just want my computer to work and buggered if I'm going to do free bug hunting for M$

I am running fully paid and updated XP Pro SP2 on my 2-year old laptop and yesterday I started getting that 'blue screen of death' with mumbo jumbo about saving my system from a catastrophic crash.

I held onto Win2000 till XP SP2 was finally out and tested. I was considering that my baptism in Vista with a new laptop would be similarly road-tested by the masses.

Then I read this thread on how many hours you honest people are wasting, jumping through hoops, trying to get the Vista service pack to do what it ought to in the first place. My mind is made up. I am getting one of those rinky dink little Asus Eee mini-laptops that run on a Linux distro and for traveling, one of them Nokia N810's that use some other non MS o/s.

• 3 weeks later...
I am running fully paid and updated XP Pro SP2 on my 2-year old laptop and yesterday I started getting that 'blue screen of death' with mumbo jumbo about saving my system from a catastrophic crash.

I held onto Win2000 till XP SP2 was finally out and tested. I was considering that my baptism in Vista with a new laptop would be similarly road-tested by the masses.

Then I read this thread on how many hours you honest people are wasting, jumping through hoops, trying to get the Vista service pack to do what it ought to in the first place. My mind is made up. I am getting one of those rinky dink little Asus Eee mini-laptops that run on a Linux distro and for traveling, one of them Nokia N810's that use some other non MS o/s.

I was looking for a small laptop one month ago, but the Asus Eee is definitely too small for video and image. Then I bought a Compaq Presario V3000 (14" Thurion dual core) without operating system installed. My idea was to install winXP and Mandriva in dualboot (some apps like Skype doesn't work very well on GNU/Linux yet, at least the camera).

So I installed XP, but was unable to find drivers for most of the hardware in this laptop.It's designed for the crappy Vista OS. :o

Then I tried Vista, most of the hardware was recoignized, apart some drivers missing that I found on the net, one device that is still unknown to the OS and to me as Windows don't tell you much. About the Nvidia graphic card, I'm still unable to find a driver that will allow me to have a better definition than 1024x768, and on a widescreen its ugly ugly ugly. No need to say that I spend many hours on the net to find a proper driver. Actually 2-3 days.

No problem as in the meantime I had Mandriva installed. I just had to boot on the Mandriva 2008 One LiveCD to test the compatibility of the hardware, press the Install on CD icon and within 25min it was installed on my harddisk. GRUB, the bootloader installed on the MBR allows me to boot Win :D or Mandriva.

I had only to browse the forum to find a driver for the integrated camera and the wifi (using ndiswrapper and a windows driver found on the net), editing the xorg.conf (graphic configuration text file) I've a nice 1280x768 definition with all the 3D eyecandy and it's running as smoothly as I wanted.

mandrivazt7.th.jpg

I'll still keep the Vista on the first partition of the 160GB harddisk in hope of better days for this OS but never boot on it (I made only a 12GB partition to host it).

All Mandriva updates were successfull, and the laptop can run for days without hanging or any other problem. It'maybe time for you folks to have a look at the free software as they are more and more user friendly, free as a beer and free as in the GPL.

Actually I don't know the graphic card model as it's not indicated anywhere in the documentation included with the laptop. Browsing the compaq and HP websites is a nightmare. I've downloaded many drivers (big files) and none is working properly.

In Mandriva I use the

nvidia71xx-kernel-2.6.22.18-laptop-1mdv - nvidia71xx driver for kernel 2.6.22.18-laptop-1mdv​

that give me the correct definition for this card.

the "lspci"command in a Mandriva console return this information for this graphic card: 00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0531 (rev a2)

But at least the driver does the job to the perfection. :o

Edited by hp8000

Actually I don't know the graphic card model as it's not indicated anywhere in the documentation included with the laptop. Browsing the compaq and HP websites is a nightmare. I've downloaded many drivers (big files) and none is working properly.

In Mandriva I use the

nvidia71xx-kernel-2.6.22.18-laptop-1mdv - nvidia71xx driver for kernel 2.6.22.18-laptop-1mdv​

that give me the correct definition for this card.

the "lspci"command in a Mandriva console return this information for this graphic card: 00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0531 (rev a2)

But at least the driver does the job to the perfection. :o

Just download Everest from TV Download HERE and run it. It will give all infos about your Hardware. Any question, post it at Support Forum

Cheers

Thanks, I've installed Everest but it doesn't says much about my graphic card (no model name). Only this:

--------[ Vidéo Windows ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Standard VGA Graphics Adapter ]

Propriétés de la carte vidéo:
  Description du périphérique					   Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
  Identification de la carte						VGA
  Identification du BIOS							Chip Rev
  Type de circuit								   NVIDIA
  Type de DAC									   8 bit
  Pilotes installés								 vga (6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205)), framebuf (6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205)), vga256 (6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205)), vga64k (6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205))
  Taille de la mémoire							  64 Mo

I've tried the search feature on the Nvidia website and it says that I have to download the driver on the HP website coz this card has some specifical HP instructions. I'm downloading now but this is a huge file (130,51M) I hope it will work as I'm downloading it from the software and Drivers download page for the exact model I have "Compaq Presario V3723AU Notebook PC ".

I just have to cross my fingers and wait as the download speed is terribly slow. At the same time I'll download a soft for the camera who doesn't work yet.