Poll Shows Democrat Lead In Party-list Vote

george

Poll shows Democrat lead in party-list vote

BANGKOK: -- The Democrat party leads People Power party (PPP) in a tight race in party-list candidacy, according to a survey conducted by Bangkok University.

The survey, which assessed opinions of 1,472 people from Dec 4-10 in 16 provinces, said 34.2% of respondents will vote for Democrat party while 31.9% will vote for PPP.

Of all respondents, 34.8% think Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva is most suitable to be a new prime minister while 28% support PPP leader Samak Sundaravej.

The survey also predicted high voter turnout.

About 89.5% of respondents said they plan to go to vote while only 5.8% said they will not.

-- Bangkok Post 2007-12-13

I have been tipping a Democrat led coalition outcome all along.

But at what price? Would a Democrat-Chart Thai coalition land us with Banharn as PM?

No don't worry, it's Samak all the way, a return of Mr. T, another coup, an unelected government, a strong Baht, a new 'alien' business law that forbid everything, tougher capital control, LOS is back. :o

But at what price? Would a Democrat-Chart Thai coalition land us with Banharn as PM?

Aphisit will be the next Prime Minister. If you don't believe me, feel free to send me money when he is announced. If you don't send me money, I will send Chuck Norris to your house to kick your ass....

Aphisit will be the next Prime Minister. If you don't believe me, feel free to send me money when he is announced. If you don't send me money, I will send Chuck Norris to your house to kick your ass....

Nice to see someone is certain;)

I hope you're right (about Abhisit, not the Chuck Norris thing)!

So you are from salaya Whoa!, no wonder....ha...ha....ha.... :o

Current polls predict comletely opposite results. It wasn't so last year or in 2005 elections.

Nothing has happened in the country to significantly change the situation - Thaksin remains popular and Democrats' voter base is too small to challenge him, or PPP.

At best PPP will be isolated, at worst they form the government but won't be able to govern. Thaksin is simply finished in this country - there's too much opposition.

What a positive result this would be for Thailand, under privileged Thai citizens, and sensible, locally effected, expats.

No miracles over night, but a shift toward rebalancing the scales away from the embedded Puyai culture of the present 5% of the population that control society.

IMPO

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee voters, make it happen.

I promise not to complain for awhile and i will give them a fair chance to sort through the inevitable fallout from certain quarters, before getting impatient and doing a customary / usual rant.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

Don't worry. If the PPP get up, the junta has a contingency plan to have them deregistered and hand power to the Democrats.

And of course there is always the option of another coup to restore stability and peace if the voters get upset about the perversion of democracy. TIT.

Edited by ando

Don't worry. If the PPP get up, the junta has a contingency plan to have them deregistered and hand power to the Democrats.

And of course there is always the option of another coup to restore stability and peace if the voters get upset about the perversion of democracy. TIT.

Im not convinced that will happen now. It may just prove that leaving a weak PPP government in power at a time of economic and political uncertainty actually will be preferable to chaos if of course PPP win. But who really knows right now.

If PPP manages to form the government it will inevitably collapse - they just don't have enough competent people to run the country and promises they made during the election campaign have no chance of materialising ever.

People would vote for PPP to bring back good old times but the reality is that it's not going to happen. What they really feel is nostalgia for Thaksin's strong but caring hand, they want their master back. If they don't get him as a PM, it just won't feel the same, they are in for a big disappointment.

Thaksin needs PPP to save his ass from the courts, there's nothing he can do for his fans, it will all end in tears.

I doubt PPP will be able to help him either - they won't have the same clout as TRT had with 80% paramentary majority and Senate in its pocket, they won't be able to steamroll over judiciary and even pardoning banned TRT execs will be a tough proposition.

This will be a big learning experience for rural voters, perhaps the shortest way to political maturity, it will be relatively painless for everyone involved, and they can always blame the military to feel better about themselves.

Edited by Plus

Nonsense!

Chuck Norris can serve a round house kick to anyone anywhere in the world from the comfort of his home, mostly made of broken glass.

Well I think most farang expats are rooting for the democrats.

Nearly ten years of TRT conservative style in Thailand hasn't really been that fruitful and vibrant for the expat scene.

Hopefully the good old days will return for us with the Democrats getting elected :o

Come on you Demo's!

Current polls predict completely opposite results.

Tomorrow's advance vote will give the junta a real good idea as to what the strength of the PPP will be on Dec. 23rd.

and maybe lots of little tanks on the streets on Christmas morning and kiddies dressed up as soldiers........again.... :D

and wot about the 3 wise men then........?..oxi.moron..init...lets hope Not....... :o

Well I think most farang expats are rooting for the democrats.

Nearly ten years of TRT conservative style in Thailand hasn't really been that fruitful and vibrant for the expat scene.

Hopefully the good old days will return for us with the Democrats getting elected :o

Come on you Demo's!

Not those expats who wish to see a message sent that the Thais do NOT want the military to take over the running of the state anymore. And maybe- just maybe a significant portion of what appears as support for PPP is actually a vote against military coups.

Actually, the advance votes won't be counted until next weekend when they are counted along with the general election votes.

Actually, the advance votes will give the junta a real good idea of which way the Dec. 23rd election will go. The official count will be made later.

Actually, with a million and half votes cast on the first day, seems there was a high turnout. The overseas vote, which also will be counted later, is also a record high.

Actually, the advance votes won't be counted until next weekend when they are counted along with the general election votes.

Actually, the advance votes will give the junta a real good idea of which way the Dec. 23rd election will go. The official count will be made later.

Actually, with a million and half votes cast on the first day, seems there was a high turnout. The overseas vote, which also will be counted later, is also a record high.

If feed back from overseas is anything to go by then i don,t see many votes going the way of the PPP.

What happens to the votes that come from eligible voters abroad ?

Which candidates have been selected for listing ?

Does the winner qualify for anything as an individual representative and for which ward / district ?

Does it automatically translate into M.P. status for which ever party they represent / stand for ?

I,m not at all familiar with the proceedures from a Thai perspective, constitionally wise.

Genuine thanks for any enlightenment on my questions

marshbags

What a positive result this would be for Thailand, under privileged Thai citizens, and sensible, locally effected, expats.

No miracles over night, but a shift toward rebalancing the scales away from the embedded Puyai culture of the present 5% of the population that control society.

IMPO

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee voters, make it happen.

I promise not to complain for awhile and i will give them a fair chance to sort through the inevitable fallout from certain quarters, before getting impatient and doing a customary / usual rant.

marshbags

My wife couldn't do the advance voiting, so she'll drive with the car from Bangkok to Nakhon Si Thammarat, and than back again. just to vote for the Democrats.

And I sit beside her in the car for nothing.....

So don't complain at me if PPP wins.

I hope you're right (about Abhisit, not the Chuck Norris thing)!

Chuck Norris ....is an old man now .....send him over ( will have a cup of coffee with him ) :o

If feed back from overseas is anything to go by then i don,t see many votes going the way of the PPP.

What happens to the votes that come from eligible voters abroad ?

Which candidates have been selected for listing ?

Does the winner qualify for anything as an individual representative and for which ward / district ?

Does it automatically translate into M.P. status for which ever party they represent / stand for ?

I,m not at all familiar with the proceedures from a Thai perspective, constitionally wise.

Genuine thanks for any enlightenment on my questions

marshbags

Marshbags I understand all votes cast abroad or away from home are returned tothe polling station where you are registered and then counted there. Each absente voter had to sealtheir paper into an envelopewith a signed seal for security. So the absente votes willspread arounbdthe country