Bangkok Really Needs This Huge Amount Of Taxis?

CatManTH

How we can reduce the trafice jam created by taxis  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi

every day I drive in Bangkok I get angry about the taxi drivers.

First of all, most of them are drive without thinking on other divers.

Second, when I see at at 5:45 in the morning 30 taxis in one road - one bulk to hunt for one customer, driving 20 to 30 km/h and creating a big traffic jam around, then I could not get there friends.

They not only producing senseless pollution and traffic jams around, they also endanger other drivers by driving in turtle speed to get a customer and when the catch one they turn to a rocket.

I really thinking the Metropolitan Authority of Bangkok should thinking on this issue also when it is not popular in the first time.

When I think back to Austria or Germany, we have a strict regulated taxi concession. And to avoid the situation like in Bangkok or other Asian countries, it is forbidden to take a customer from the street, if the customer not call the taxi before via phone or via an other calling system.

Taxis must park - with stopped engines - on there special marked taxi stand. And only there a customer can take a taxi. On all other places the taxi must called via the taxi center. These taxi stands are located in average circles of 3 to 5 km, or in a distance that all customer can get a taxi very fast.

What is the outcome? Not a lot of traffic from empty taxis in the city, the pollution and gas consumption will reduced.

The impact is much bigger then first seen, because we not need so a huge amount of taxis anymore. Therefore many taxi drivers are out of there job. But the taxi drivers are still drive must show a good knowledge of the city where they are working. if they not know the city, and not pass the tests, they not get the license.

In Austria, also in German taxi and bus drivers must have a special license but in opposite to Thailand, the have a course with a length of a 1/2 year to learn drive safety and also to learn first aid rules.

Summarizing, I think the outcome is for all in general a better service, less pollution and traffic jam in our roads. But we can not forget in the first time that possible 20000 ro maybe 30000 taxi drivers are lose there income source.

I am highly interested what other people think about. :o

Best regards,

The Cat.

I had the questionable pleasure to use taxis in Germany and prefer by far the system in Bangkok. If taxi driving becomes not profitable the number will decrease. I use taxis only for routes where I cannot take a bus (or metro).

As for driving behavior: watch out for buses, they drive much more reckless than taxis IMHO. This includes minibuses.

Pollution: most taxis use NGV nowadays. If traffic congestion (and pollution) is to be eased then through the reduction of private cars. Why would anyone need a private car in Bkk?

When I think back to Austria or Germany,

thats your problem ,

you are not in germany now so stop thinking that you know better what is right for thailand just because you are a european. if you want european ways , go to europe. dont bring any more euro-madness here please.

we have a strict regulated taxi concession

thats your problem , everything in europe is so strictly controlled it ceases to be convenient either for the supplier or the end user.

And to avoid the situation like in Bangkok or other Asian countries, it is forbidden to take a customer from the street, if the customer not call the taxi before via phone or via an other calling system.

if a taxi cant take a customer from the street then whats the point of having taxis?

taxis are about convenience for the public , and cruising taxis are very convenient for the public.

Taxis must park - with stopped engines - on there special marked taxi stand. And only there a customer can take a taxi. On all other places the taxi must called via the taxi center. These taxi stands are located in average circles of 3 to 5 km, or in a distance that all customer can get a taxi very fast.

rules , rules , and more rules. the european obsession with regulating every minute aspect of our lives takes all the spontaneity out of life

leave your car at home and take a taxi , then you wont get so angry ,and you will have less stress.

It has to left to market-forces, no rules can be enforced consistently in any free country and the measures which you describe in Germany will not work here. Sometimes where I live it can be difficult to find a taxi so they are mostly where they will find a fare, public transport is more important than private, so you must expect to be cut-out by busses taxis etc. In all cities of the World if the public transport have to fight it out with private vehicles they can not afford to follow the traffic rules. The police appreciate this and give them a lot of leeway as we should.

my experience when i lived near the ARI bts station is that it was impossible to flag down a taxi during the afternoon rush hour and on weekend evenings.

If the taxi drivers were'nt making a living, there would not be as many taxis.. I think its best to let supply and demand dictate the numbers of taxis on the streets

Hi all,

it's nice to see, that no one is willing to learn from out actual problem with our climate.

I like to see all af you in 15 years, when our climate is dramatically change and you have then the choice to swim or to take a boat. :o

Very nice people, like the American government, nit thinking the future, only thinking there own actual moment, the rest - not interesting them.

Good luck and good swim :D

Cu The Cat

rules , rules , and more rules. the european obsession with regulating every minute aspect of our lives takes all the spontaneity out of life

Hi

I hate rules and regulations possible more then other onces hate them.

But to you take your own nose and control your self in energy consumption, in wasting nature, life and time?

You take care our world for our and for our children? or you only consume all?

If you only consume, you need rules and regulation, if you think about, you are able to control your self.

Think about it

Cu The Cat

Hi all,

it's nice to see, that no one is willing to learn from out actual problem with our climate.

I like to see all af you in 15 years, when our climate is dramatically change and you have then the choice to swim or to take a boat. :D

Very nice people, like the American government, nit thinking the future, only thinking there own actual moment, the rest - not interesting them.

Cu The Cat

You must have missed the part about taxis running on the NVG fuel systems... if anything its you (the private car owner/driver) thats causing the pollution in this world. So please, if you don't mind, stop polluting our world, your going to drastically effect the climate and i'm going to have to take a boat to work (or swim) - i think this is most selfish of you!!!!! :o

Get rid of 50% of the Private cars in Bangkok, not only will that improve the pollution problems, it will also lessen the traffic congestion and give more room for the cleaner taxi's to operate. Tax the sh*t out of them, double the price of petrol for private use, triple the toll way prices for private transportation

I would be much happier if the taxis had a real licensing system, and were forced to do their jobs properly - no refusing fares, not refusing to turn on the meter. etc. More or less taxis? I admit, there are a lot, which is why these guys make so little money. I say, increase the flag fall, but take complaints seriously and pull their license. Taxi drivers make more, consumers are protected. Reality, never gonna happen.

I also suspect driving would be a lot easier if you got the motorcycle situation under control (more so than taxis) – to me, they are the ones that cause the most havoc on the road.

Hi all,

I like to see all af you in 15 years, when our climate is dramatically change and you have then the choice to swim or to take a boat. :o

Cu The Cat

It's YOU not thinking of the future my friend. Sell your car and ride the skytrain, MRT, or NGV taxi like most of us and stop polluting our city!

Get rid of 50% of the Private cars in Bangkok, not only will that improve the pollution problems, it will also lessen the traffic congestion and give more room for the cleaner taxi's to operate. Tax the sh*t out of them, double the price of petrol for private use, triple the toll way prices for private transportation

:o

Edited by surface

Hi

I not miss the information, that taxis, and many sedans are using NGV.

But you think NGV is free of pollution?

Yes I agree to remove 80% of the private cars in Bangkok, but then there must be a well organized public transportation working.

I am not selfish with my car, but I have no other way, because public transportation is not working for me.

And not come up to use hybrid cars - the batteries are still not efficient enough to work longer then 1 year with full power and when you have a running air conditioner in your car, the car engine, powered by gas or NGV must still running, because the batteries have a limited load.

Also 100% electric powered cars are only move the power producing problem to an other place, in this case to the power plant. And the power plants in this time are not free of pollution if you are not using alternate energy.

But it is nice to read what people are thinking about all, and also the different ways of approach the problem. :o

My intention with this thread was to weak up some people and to get to start thinking all of us what we can do for our own future.

I hope this thread will run in this direction.

Cu The Cat.

NGV is less polluting than other fuels, fact! Why don’t you ride a motorcycle instead if you’re so worried about pollution, or even a bicycle? Your ideas on taxi regulations are ridiculous and the main reason why euro taxis are not convenient and are a complete rip off.

I always use taxi.

Cant be too many of them.

Try getting a taxi during the rush hours.

Or when it is raining.

Not easy.

Obviously the market is there.

But I totally agree about the annoyance when many taxis line up, waiting for a passenger, totally disregarding the cars behind them.

Plenty of taxis means most of them are willing to take most fares and most of them are willing to use the meters. If you want to see what happens to this when there aren't plenty of taxis, look at Chiang Mai and Pattaya. I love that you can almost always easily find a taxi in Bangkok, don't mess with it!

But to you take your own nose and control your self in energy consumption, in wasting nature, life and time?

You take care our world for our and for our children? or you only consume all?

every day I drive in Bangkok

why arent you using public transport ?

the last thing thailand needs is another euro-jesus telling us all how wasteful you think we are.

get a life.

Edited by taxexile

Hi

Second, when I see at at 5:45 in the morning 30 taxis in one road - one bulk to hunt for one customer, driving 20 to 30 km/h and creating a big traffic jam around, then I could not get there friends.

They not only producing senseless pollution and traffic jams around, they also endanger other drivers by driving in turtle speed to get a customer and when the catch one they turn to a rocket.

I really thinking the Metropolitan Authority of Bangkok should thinking on this issue also when it is not popular in the first time.

When I think back to Austria or Germany, we have a strict regulated taxi concession. And to avoid the situation like in Bangkok or other Asian countries, it is forbidden to take a customer from the street, if the customer not call the taxi before via phone or via an other calling system.

What is the outcome? Not a lot of traffic from empty taxis in the city, the pollution and gas consumption will reduced.

The impact is much bigger then first seen, because we not need so a huge amount of taxis anymore. Therefore many taxi drivers are out of there job. But the taxi drivers are still drive must show a good knowledge of the city where they are working. if they not know the city, and not pass the tests, they not get the license.

In Austria, also in German taxi and bus drivers must have a special license but in opposite to Thailand, the have a course with a length of a 1/2 year to learn drive safety and also to learn first aid rules.

Summarizing, I think the outcome is for all in general a better service, less pollution and traffic jam in our roads. But we can not forget in the first time that possible 20000 ro maybe 30000 taxi drivers are lose there income source.

I am highly interested what other people think about. :D

Best regards,

The Cat.

:o I wouldn't mind seeing taxis in Bangkok reduced, but first there has to be another form of transportation as convenient as taxis. The BTS and the bus system is a start, but not directed to those who need to go outside the core areas in BKK.

One thing I would like to see is a system like Singapore where private cars are restricted or liscensed in certain areas of the city. If you want to drive in those areas, you have to get a sticker that you have to pay for. As someone else pointed out in the comments on this topic, there are too many private cars in the center (business areas) of Bangkok. I have seen Sukhumvit road so packed with traffic that it was faster to get out and walk then to try and drive a car. Not that walking is a practical choice with the terrible condition of many of the pavements and the construction on Sukhumvit.

I know of Thai friends who work in the Silom road area, that require nearly 2 hours each way by bus to get to work. They leave their house at 6 A.M. inorder to be at work by 8 A.M. Returning in the evening is often worse that going to work. The BTS system is nice, but just try getting into a Sukhumvit road BTS car between 4:30 and 8:00 on most work days. Not easy for a 250 pound European to fit in.

:D

And to avoid the situation like in Bangkok or other Asian countries, it is forbidden to take a customer from the street, if the customer not call the taxi before via phone or via an other calling system.

if a taxi cant take a customer from the street then whats the point of having taxis?

taxis are about convenience for the public , and cruising taxis are very convenient for the public.

agreed.

after a night out in my native scotland I have to queue for a taxi - sometimes this can last hours (although I usually just walk if it looks like it'll take longer than 30 mins or so).

in bkk, I come out of a bar, stick my thumb in the air and hey presto. much better.

agreed.

after a night out in my native scotland I have to queue for a taxi - sometimes this can last hours (although I usually just walk if it looks like it'll take longer than 30 mins or so).

in bkk, I come out of a bar, stick my thumb in the air and hey presto. much better.

You've obviously never had to get a taxi at a BTS station late at night. The queue can sometimes be more than 50 people.

I walked halfway home once.

Hi

I agree 100% that a regulation for private cars but also for motorcycles and other motorized transportations should implemented.

People who can show up that they life there and also have a parking lot, can enter the restricted area for free. Other once must have a full car or pay a specified amount one time, monthly or yearly.

I also find it nice to see the idea of pedestrian plazas in shopping areas. there cars can only go in side for free to time the day, for example from 7am to 9 am and from 5pm to 7pm. Outside this time is the area closed for everybody, also for motorcycles, allowed are only bicycles, also taxis are not allowed only under special conditions (deliver or pickup disabled peoples).

I think this regulations, are not harm normal people but will increase the quality of life of everybody there. i also guess that more people come for shopping there because the air is more clean and the surrounding ore more nice then now.

But outside of restricted areas must also provide enough parking space for cars and motorcycles and also a cheap ride inside the regulated areas.

I hope someone from the BMA is reading here too, and will catch some of these ideas. :o

Cu

The Cat

I say long live all the taxis. In fact, I say increase the number of taxis by 50% for those times when one is hard to come by. As for the OP, I think he's out of his mind to have a car in Bangkok. I say if he can't make the transport system work for him then he should move to an area of the city where he can take public transport. I love love love Bangkok taxis! Private cars I always feel are driven by nut jobs who can't figure out that having a car in BKK is insane

I haven't been in BKK for the last 6 months, but, from my 14 prior years of being in and out of the country I can tell you that the taxi situation is dire. More often than not, I have to tell the taxi which way to travel. Also, no matter if the fare is a fat one or not, if the driver has EVER had a traffic jam in the local that I am going, they will not take me, regardless if the area would be jammed at the specific time I may be going or not. I have zero pity for them. If they are too ignorant, and there is nothing wrong with being ignorant, then they shouldn't be driving; if they are stupid/rude, then that is another matter entirely. Many times I must ask at least a half-dozen cabs before one will take me to "my destination", and mind you, I NEVER take a cab if there will be a traffic jam, NEVER. Never will I fail to report a cab (to the taxi authority) that refuses my fare, either, and neither should you; they are obligated to take you anywhere you wish to go , anytime.

I always use taxi.

Cant be too many of them.

Try getting a taxi during the rush hours.

Or when it is raining.

Not easy.

Obviously the market is there.

But I totally agree about the annoyance when many taxis line up, waiting for a passenger, totally disregarding the cars behind them.

+1

Your observation applies not only to taxis but to all low-skilled jobs in Thailand. Take a look at any building site, department store or government office. I guarantee you'll find 4 people doing the work of one or more often 3 people hanging around while one works and they take turns to be the one working.

Thais like it this way. It means they don't have to work too hard and work can have an aspect of 'sanook'. They accept a lower salary as the downside. Don't try and impose your Germanic work ethic.

When you're place isn't far, rain, walkin distance from any public transportation stops and it isn't oever midnight, oh yeah pls. use them bus/bts/mrt. Faster, safer, avoid any dramas, hang on to the routh map tight and there you get to where you wanna go.

Too many cabs in this city. It's ridiculous!! and I can say 50% like to take tourists somewhere else where mini-skirt monsters and all 'love you long time' are at without asking!!

Bkk needs to take 'taxi stop/line up' seriously. You can't just hop in the cab anytime, anywhere you want!! esp. middle of the street and traffic!! (gezz!!) Any of you have been to Ratchada soi 4 where are the teens clubs there? It's a nightmare where these cabs just park and block the road, leave one lane or two for others :D:o:D:D

Hi

Best regards,

The Cat.

I'm interested in why you have to drive in Bangkok. Parking places are nearly non existent and you don't save any time. The subway or sky train is my preferred method of transportation.

Hi

Best regards,

The Cat.

I'm interested in why you have to drive in Bangkok. Parking places are nearly non existent and you don't save any time. The subway or sky train is my preferred method of transportation.

Because it most cases the subway and skytrain don't meet our needs. Taking a taxi to and from the train system is more expensive than owning a car and less convenient.

For example If I want to go to siam square from school and take the bts it will cost 80 baht to get to the bts then another 35 baht to take the train down there. Total trip takes at least 45 minutes and if there is another person with me it will be even less cost-effective.

If I take a taxi straight into town it will cost about 150 baht plus toll that can be split four ways between me and my friends.

If I have a car it will cost around 3 baht a kilometer so about 60 baht plus toll and parking. It's cheaper and faster than the BTS, on par with a taxi, and the most comfortable option; books, clothes, other stuff can be locked in the trunk instead of being carried everywhere.

I need to transport a small number of boxes around Bangkok - 5 to 15 case of beer size boxes - and it is VERY difficult to find a taxi that will do it though it only takes an extra 30 seconds to load and unload and I don't ask for help. The other thing is that these w*nkers are very particular about where they will go if they admit that the meter is actually working.

If there were any less taxis, it would be impossible to get them to do anything other than transport one or two passengers to places that they want to go, and for an absurd fee. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Bkk needs to take 'taxi stop/line up' seriously. You can't just hop in the cab anytime, anywhere you want!! esp. middle of the street and traffic!! (gezz!!) Any of you have been to Ratchada soi 4 where are the teens clubs there? It's a nightmare where these cabs just park and block the road, leave one lane or two for others :D:o:D:D

I've been to Ratchada Soi 4 dozens of times, and the fact that there are taxis lined up in front of there, as well as other nightspots, is one of the things I love most about Bangkok. I think it's fantastic that you can quickly, easily, and cheaply get a cab home and not have to risk driving home drunk. If the traffic there bothers you, it's easy to avoid Ratchada at night, but for people that go to these clubs it's wonderful. There are thousands of young people there every night (No teens like you claim, they are very strict with ID cards) and taxis are the best way for them to safely get home. I certainly don't want most of them to get behind the wheel after drinking a bottle of 100 Pipers.