Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

I heard the border closes, anyone know what time?

If I arrive at 6pm on a flight to Udon, can i get to vientian that night? International bus or Mini van?

And after receiving the visa, how to people get back to udon in time to make the flight to bkk?

Nok or air asia preferences?

No problems at all. You're taking the same flight schedule as I am. I've done this twice before and it's a breeze. Both previous times the VOA for Laos took 5 minutes.

Take the limousine service from the airport to Friendship. It's 200 baht.

Coming back, take a tuk-tuk from the Consulate, clear the border and get a shared minivan (also 200 baht) back to the Udon Thani Airport. These are waiting just outside the Thai Immigration check point. They leave when they're full. You should get back with plenty of time to spare...enough time to have a buffet meal upstairs and relax.

What day are you leaving? I'm flying out on the 28th.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for those replys. Fly out on the 5th or 6th of may. Tropo which airline do u take? Nok is a bit cheaper but the last time I was there couple of guys I met somehow got return tickets from air asia for 1500.B, a special but i've never seen that...

I also need a recommendation for a place to stay. Last time was there rented a scooter, 300B for 24 hours, rode to the embassy and got around that way.

Thanks for those replys. Fly out on the 5th or 6th of may. Tropo which airline do u take? Nok is a bit cheaper but the last time I was there couple of guys I met somehow got return tickets from air asia for 1500.B, a special but i've never seen that...

I also need a recommendation for a place to stay. Last time was there rented a scooter, 300B for 24 hours, rode to the embassy and got around that way.

I've always used Air Asia and anytime I've compared prices, I've always found them cheaper. It's unlikely you'll get a deal like that unless you very lucky and get a booking way in advance. It just depends on luck and when you're going. I booked a month ahead and the best deal for my dates was over 3000 baht return.

Where did you rent your scooter? I like that idea.

I found the ultimate accommodation last time I was there for between 1000 - 1300 baht per night. Best location, great rooms, buffet breakfast included. If this is within your budget let me know and I'll PM you the details. I don't want to advertise it here because they may become too popular and I'll end up missing out on a room.

just back from vientian last night,

I flew with Nok air same as last time, This time I never booked a hotel but found a great place, 6 months old, spotlessly clean, big light room, great bathroom I paid 670 baht per night as I was alone, 750 if a couple. The hotel is called Soupaphone guesthouse, just round the corner from the Hare and Hounds. i would recommend this place, easy walking to the river and Khop Chai Der, From Khop Chai Der (near the fountain) walk along, pass the temple on the left then turn left, the hotel is first road on the right (Hare and Hounds is on this corner)

I asked about a scooter while I was there (just down from the Hare and Hounds) for 24 hours it is 60000 Kip for manual and 70000 for automatic (Honda Wave).

On another note there was no requirment to copy the entry visa into laos, the consulate never asked for this page

If, and it's Thai time remember, you get into Udon at 7 or 8...it's such a hassle getting transpo to and across the border, I've done it twice and both times the first day was a total write-off in terms of getting there in time to submit your paperwork. Just my experience.

Sawasdee Khrup,

Arrived fifteen minutes too late on Monday at the Thai Consular offices in Vientiane to apply for the visa.

Tuesday 8:30am : had application form with two photos ready and filled out, was in a smallish queue (thirty people ?>) when the offices opened. Took about two hours total time there before I had my receipt and the information that I could return the next day between 1-3pm to pick up the double entry tourist visa. Yes, it was free as of yesterday. This being Amazing Thailand, I'll believe the free double-entry when I hold it in my hands.

Mistake : arriving in Udon Thani I made the mistake of telling the moto-taxi driver I wanted to go to Vientiane, so he took me to the bus station where they do have a direct bus to V. ... but you must have Laos visa already to board. The other "bus station" is a bunch of shacks on the highway. That mistake probably cost me a precious hour. Be sure and say you want to go to Nongkhai by bus :o

The guest houses along the Mekong River road I had seen before and thought I might stay in : one was full, and the other was very expensive. I discovered a hotel called the Mekong Sunshine Hotel further north on the river road that is either new or has just been thoroughly rejuvenated. Spoltlessly clean. My fourth floor room (AC, single) for $25 US per night (800 baht or 200k kip) including breakfast (well, I can eat the fried eggs). Free, reasonably fast, internet in the hotel lobby.

Very few guests, and my room has a view of the Mekong through a lovely flame tree (Laos : don fai) in full reddish-orange bloom, the

long dry black-tan seed pods hanging off the limbs making a very scenic contrast, which is filled with happy pairs of mynah birds chattering

at 6am. No smell of cigarettes in the entire hotel ! Staff very friendly, very helplful. www.mekongsunshinehotel.com

My one "regret" is that I could not predict when I could return to Chiang Mai, so today, when I arrive in Udon Thani, I fear that I will have to spend a day there, or take the much deprecated (here on Thai Visa) Chakrapong bus back (or, worse, the non-vip bus).

regards, ~o:37;

I would be interested in knowing if the double entry visa was definitely free and moreover, if you found a better bus back to CM as I can testify the Chakrapong bus is dreadful...

I merged in a post that is just before yours that confirms that visas are still free and will be until June 4th.

I can't help with the bus. But you could make a post on the Chiang Mai forum for a quicker answer.

I would be interested in knowing if the double entry visa was definitely free and moreover, if you found a better bus back to CM as I can testify the Chakrapong bus is dreadful...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun ThreeDot,

Yes, the double-entry visa was free.

I made it back to Chiang Mai vai direct bus from Vientiane to Udon Thani, made it to Oosuksatour at bus station number two in Udon Thani in time to find the VIP back fully booked, but a "first class" leaving at 7:30PM with one seat available. Given the choice of staying over in Udon Thani (and I wasn't sure that company had a bus back on odd-numbered days) or getting back to CM, I took that bus. I survived :)

In the next day or two I'll post full details on the Chiang Mai Forum.

regards, ~o:37;

Just completed a tourist visa run to Vientiane. I'll post a few comments in order to expand on recent topics and queries.

I hit a very busy day at the consulate because all people were doing their applications this day (Wednesday) to get in before the long weekend.

1. They process no more than 500 applications per day, so if you suspect it's going to be busy, get there early.

2. Queue jumping is still alive and well BEFORE the gates open. When I arrived at 7:30 am I was 35th in line. My ticket number was 126 (after the gates opened at 8:30am), so 90 people had somehow materialized out of thin air in front of me in 1 hour. I wasn't paying close attention at the time as I was chatting to some other people in line, but I wish I had been more vigilant as I was shocked when I saw how high my ticket number was. Perhaps some people were holding a place in the queue for many others, but I don't believe this is fair play.

3. As has been stated many times already, and just to confirm for the sceptical amongst you, a double-entry tourist visa is free right now and until June 4. Make sure you indicate "x2" next to the tourist visa box on the application form. I should have asked for a triple-entry visa, but I didn't think about it at the time. Perhaps someone else could try this while tourist visas are still free.

4. Do download your application forms online and complete them before you arrive to save you messing around in the tropical heat trying to complete yours or paying one of the "hustlers" outside to do it for you.

5. Someone a few pages back stated that you must also have a photocopy of your Laos visa and entry stamp. THIS IS NOT TRUE! There is no such requirement.

6. I did NOT come across anyone selling low ticket numbers. If there is anyone doing this, it's probably later in the day.

7. If you need to get back to Udon for a return flight to Bangkok on AirAsia at 5:40 pm on a busy day, you better move your a*ss. Get to the consulate and wait in line well before it opens at 1 pm. I had very little time to spare when I finally reached the Airport. Just to give you an idea of waiting time, when I picked up my passport at the consulate I had ticket #123. This took 50 minutes. If I was ticket 300 + I could have missed my flight. The second big delay was at the Thai Immigration check point. This line moved very slowly and probably held me up for the best part of an hour. They only had 2 passport lanes open, so obviously they couldn't care less about tourists waiting in the hot tropical sun. By the time I finally got through it was almost 4 pm. I had no choice but to immedately hire a taxi straight to the airport. There was no time to wait for a cheaper share ride.

8. It's getting harder to bargain with tuk-tuk drivers as they now have an official fare placard which they bring out when you ask them prices. 100 baht across town to the consulate is about the right price. They start at about 150 baht. They normally give prices in Kip in the hope of confusing unwary tourists. A good way to get from your hotel to the consulate and later the border on passport pickup day is to get a tuk-tuk driver to wait for you with your luggage at the consulate and then take you to the border. This cost me 400 baht for two.

9. It's a really good idea to bring an umbrella if you cannot handle the tropical sun and/or you want to stay dry if it rains. Especially necessary if you arrive to pick up your passport before the gates open at 1pm. Noon heat in April/May can easily run into the 40's. There is no shade outside the gate. It will also come in handy on a busy day at the Thai Immigration checkpoint where the queue can run VERY slowly.

Edited by tropo

notes on Chiang Mai <=> Vientiane visa trip April 26 - April 29 (long)

hope you find something useful in all the details :) regards, ~o:37;

CM : Chiang Mi

TCO : Thai Consular Offices in Vientiane

UT : Udon thani

VN : Vientiane

Just for my own benefit, while the events are still fresh, I'll describe the various hoops this aging circus pony jumped through in the course of getting a double-entry Thai visa in VN.

With hindsight :

1. if I hadn't made the one mistake of going to the wrong bus station in Udon Thani, would I have gotten to the TCO in time to apply for the visa the first day ?

I'm not sure. It was a Monday, and the fact the TCO will be closed May 1,5, and 8, might have meant a huge crowd there Monday early am.

2. if I had been reliably able to estimate how many days it would take to get the visa, then I would have been able to buy a return VIP ticket from UT to CM in advance, which would have been very nice. But, given my general paranoia regarding all interactions with Thai officialdom, I felt I didn't dare take the risk of buying a return ticket that I would not be able to change or get a refund on. While Oosuksatour has e-mail, and I had their phone number in UT and CM, my guess is there is no way to book a ticket except by paying cash at the office in UT.

3. while it seems consensus (on Thai Visa) that Oosuksatour run buses CM to UT on even numbered days, I didn't find out exactly what days they run buses UT to CM. Since I returned on an odd-numbered day on which they did have a VIP bus, even though it was fully booked, I assume Oosuksatour runs UT to CM on odd numbered days ?

4. I looked in vain for some kind of mini-van service from VN to CM or UT; from what i was told, this may be available in the winter peak season tourist months only.

5. too bad there aren't direct flights from CM <=> UT any more.

Miscellaneous notes :

1. The Talat Sao (Morning Market) is a rip-off. Ridiculous pricing compared to Talat Chatujak in Bangkok, or the Night Market, or Ban Tawai, in Chiang Mai. However, it is the only place where I've seen copies (Chinese) of higher-end name-brand mobile phones being sold ! I assume they work to some extent, but they are not for me.

The Journey :

Sunday 26

1. Oosuksatour (at Arcade bus station on the Superhighway across from Carrefour) VIP CM to UT : 8PM 600 baht

a. amazing grace : reading lights in a bus in Thailand that actually work ! another small divine favor : no ear-shattering luk-theung ballads

b. descending in the dark down the steep stairs to the first level of the bus to use the toilet : edges of the jet black steps are high-lighted in

blue led lights giving a very strange effect. an image of an obstacle course in a disco designed to cull out the aged and partially sighted came to my mind :D

Monday 27

2. arrive UT bus station number two about 7am

3. mistake : said I wanted to go to "VN" to the moto-taxi guy; should have said Nongkhai : he takes me to bus station one, where there is a direct bus to VN, but which requires pre-approved Laos visa.

4. so, by moto-taxi again to some place on the road where I get a lousy, crowded, hot, bus to Nongkhai.

5. moto-taxi at Nong Khai to the border

6. exit Land of Smiles via Thai immgration, no charge. Young Israeli guy next to me in line has no departure card : I see him the next day, and he says they held him up for about half an hour before finally giving him a departure card.

7. across the bridge by small bus, 30 baht

8. enter Laos immigration, 1500 baht; one photo or two ? don't remember clearly ?

9. moto-taxi into VN to new Thai consular offices building : too late by fifteen minutes to get in and get application. They close at noon.

a. the usual touts are out front trying to sell you services. I was offered same day double-entry for 2500 baht.

10. taxi driver takes me to Mekong Sunshine Hotel; he has application form for Thai visa. excellent hotel for 800 baht per night ! clean, free internet, no cigarette smell, fourth-floor walk-up (no lift) room is quiet and has view of Mekhong.

a. the river frontage road guest houses I checked out, thinking they'd be cheap, were very expensive !

b. checked out the Malinamphu Guest House someone on Thai Visa had recommended. It was on a crowded,

dusty street with lots of traffic. So didn't go in to see the rooms.

Tuesday 28

11. 8:20 AM : arrive Thai consular offices building, in queue for about twenty minutes before gates are opened.

a. swarms of people, finally get to the ticket machine and get a number. this is an outside area.

b. i had visa application all filled out, two photos glued on, already. multiple signed copies of the front page of my passport, and the Thai exit stamp page.

c. waited for my number to be called in the outside area, where I handed in my completed forms

d. told to go into the second building and wait

e. bathroom facilities have no toilet paper !

12. in second (air con) building about 40 minutes when my number (same number as used outside) is called, and I am given a receipt that says I can pick up the visa the next day between 1-3PM.

Wednesday 29

13. arrive Thai consular services building about 1PM. queue of about thirty people ahead of me. in queue for about twenty minutes before we can go in.

14. back to the same ticket machine in the outside area to get a number again

15. back in the air-con area in the second building to wait

16. about 2:30PM my number is called and I receive passport with double-entry visa : no charge.

17. by moto-taxi from TCO to VN bus station behind the Talat Sao or "Morning Market"

18. next bus direct to UT is at 4PM : ticket 80 baht. they do ask to see your passport.

19. relax in internet cafe (good air con) on 3rd. floor of Talat Sao, and hydrate myself.

20. 4pm : pretty poor condition bus from VN to UT. hot, crowded, but at least i have a seat. does not leave until about 4:20pm.

21. Laos immigration at Friendship Bridge : everybody out of the bus, go through Laos ex-migration, pay an exit fee which was supposed to be 2500 kip : I give the guy 3000 kip : he will not give me change. Not about to take a stand over a few baht !

22. back on the bus to UT

23. Thai immigration at Friendship Bridge : everybody out of the bus, no apparent source of arrival/departure cards which you must fill out, but someone in line with me finds them, and brings back a bunch for everyone.

24. back on the bus : it's now already after 5PM.

25. arrive UT bus station one about 7:10PM.

26. moto-taxi seven kilometers to bus station two where Oosuksatour has its buses, and other buses also go to CM.

27. Oosuksatour's 8PM VIP is full, but they have a "first-class" leaving 7:30PM, and two seats left. Having to choose between a rougher ride for twelve-thirteen hours and staying overnight in Udon : is an easy choice. I'm on that bus. 565 baht or so. Definitely below VIP standard, but tolerable given how whacked out I was by all the hoops I had jumped through already. Reading lights don't work, and the ride is too jumpy to read anyway (:

7. across the bridge by small bus, 30 baht

The fare is 20 baht from Thailand to Laos and 4000 kip (17 baht) return.

8. enter Laos immigration, 1500 baht; one photo or two ? don't remember clearly ?

One photo is required but US $1 can be paid in lieu of a photo. Money can be saved by paying in US dollars. Visa prices vary greatly depending on nationality

a. the usual touts are out front trying to sell you services. I was offered same day double-entry for 2500 baht.

In your situation, paying 2,500 baht to get your visa may have been worthwhile.

Wednesday 29

13. arrive Thai consular services building about 1PM. queue of about thirty people ahead of me. in queue for about twenty minutes before we can go in.

In my experience, they open the gates at exactly 1 pm.

16. about 2:30PM my number is called and I receive passport with double-entry visa : no charge.

Perhaps you meant 1:30 pm. I had 140 people in front of me yet received my passport by 1:50 pm.

21. Laos immigration at Friendship Bridge : everybody out of the bus, go through Laos ex-migration, pay an exit fee which was supposed to be 2500 kip : I give the guy 3000 kip : he will not give me change. Not about to take a stand over a few baht !

No one was charged an exit fee yesterday.

23. Thai immigration at Friendship Bridge : everybody out of the bus, no apparent source of arrival/departure cards which you must fill out, but someone in line with me finds them, and brings back a bunch for everyone.

They've changed the procedure. They used to have someone giving out arrival/departure cards out the front. Now you have to get a form from an unmarked booth by presenting a passport.

Hi Khun Tropo,

thanks for your detailed response ! in my case I am absolutely sure the gates did not open at 1PM, but at least ten minutes after 1PM. and I am very clear as to how long I waited for the processed visa to be picked up. And there most definitely is an exit fee paid to the Laos government; I now realize why it was 3000 kip : there was a 500 kip "overtime" charge due to the time of day (a friend of mine in Chiang Mai clarified this for me).

Unless you are pyschic, I don't believe you can say that it might have been better for me to have gotten same day service for 2500 baht; it was already too late for same day service on the Monday I got there, I would have had to stay one night in Vientiane anyway; staying another night only cost me 800 baht or so. It also greatly pleased me not to feed the "pimps."

Keep polishing your crystal ball :) The more information we have, the merrier.

regards, o~37;

Edited by orang37

Hi Khun Tropo,

thanks for your detailed response ! in my case I am absolutely sure the gates did not open at 1PM, but at least ten minutes after 1PM. and I am very clear as to how long I waited for the processed visa to be picked up. And there most definitely is an exit fee paid to the Laos government; I now realize why it was 3000 kip : there was a 500 kip "overtime" charge due to the time of day (a friend of mine in Chiang Mai clarified this for me).

Unless you are pyschic, I don't believe you can say that it might have been better for me to have gotten same day service for 2500 baht; it was already too late for same day service on the Monday I got there, I would have had to stay one night in Vientiane anyway; staying another night only cost me 800 baht or so. It also greatly pleased me not to feed the "pimps."

regards, o~37;

Hi Khun Orang37,

Thank you for your sarcastic response.

I'm replying to clear up some discrepancies in your report. I've been posting on this thread since it started in Dec 2007, so I believe it's important that we keep the information as accurate as possible.

In my quote "it may have been worthwhile", please note that I used the word "may". It was merely suggestive and had nothing at all to do with crystal balls or fortune telling. The difference in money doesn't take into consideration other factors such as the necessity to get back by a certain time, catching a pre-booked flight etc. This is a forum to help other people, and paying the 2,500 baht for an express tourist visa could be useful for other people.

I find it hard to believe that it took 1.5 hours for you to get your passport back the next day. You stated that there were only 30 people ahead of you in the queue. You're expecting me to believe it took 1.5 hours for them to hand back 30 passports. As I stated in my response, it took 50 minutes on Wednesday (April 30) for them to hand back 143 passports. Either you had the time wrong, or you misrepresented your place in the queue. In your post yesterday you stated it took 20 minutes to go in, yet today you stated it wasn't until 10 minutes past 1 pm that they opened the gates. Perhaps if you can remember your ticket number it may shed some light on this anomaly.

We should be clear on this point, because we don't want people to think that they will be there all afternoon to pick up their passports. Some people book afternoon flights back to Bangkok and getting their passport back early is important. This is my 3rd trip there, and it never took very long to get my passport back on any occasion. If it took me as long as it took you on April 29, I would have missed my flight.

There most definitely was NO departure fee from Laos on April 30, the day after you left and paid a departure fee. I have no idea why. We need to hear from other people on this one. Perhaps you're confusing the 4000 kip bus fare across the bridge with a departure fee.

Regards,

T~0

PS. For some reason I can no longer post photos, but I have a photo showing #67 being called out at 13:34:16. The more passports they hand out the quicker the process because they have less passports to sort through. #67 to #143 took another 16 minutes.

Just got back from Vientiane also. My partner and I both got our doubles with no problems!!!! Thanks everyone for walking us through it!!

what hotel did u stay in? price/quality, close to embassy? and i heard the "turn in" must be before 11am, and pick up next day after 1pm? thanks for any info

Hi Khun Tropo,

regards, o~37;

Hi Khun Orang37,

Thank you for your sarcastic response.

I'm replying to clear up some discrepancies in your report. I've been posting on this thread since it started in Dec 2007, so I believe it's important that we keep the information as accurate as possible.

In my quote "it may have been worthwhile", please note that I used the word "may". It was merely suggestive and had nothing at all to do with crystal balls or fortune telling. The difference in money doesn't take into consideration other factors such as the necessity to get back by a certain time, catching a pre-booked flight etc. This is a forum to help other people, and paying the 2,500 baht for an express tourist visa could be useful for other people.

I find it hard to believe that it took 1.5 hours for you to get your passport back the next day. You stated that there were only 30 people ahead of you in the queue. You're expecting me to believe it took 1.5 hours for them to hand back 30 passports. As I stated in my response, it took 50 minutes on Wednesday (April 30) for them to hand back 143 passports. Either you had the time wrong, or you misrepresented your place in the queue. In your post yesterday you stated it took 20 minutes to go in, yet today you stated it wasn't until 10 minutes past 1 pm that they opened the gates. Perhaps if you can remember your ticket number it may shed some light on this anomaly.

We should be clear on this point, because we don't want people to think that they will be there all afternoon to pick up their passports. Some people book afternoon flights back to Bangkok and getting their passport back early is important. This is my 3rd trip there, and it never took very long to get my passport back on any occasion. If it took me as long as it took you on April 29, I would have missed my flight.

There most definitely was NO departure fee from Laos on April 30, the day after you left and paid a departure fee. I have no idea why. We need to hear from other people on this one. Perhaps you're confusing the 4000 kip bus fare across the bridge with a departure fee.

Regards,

T~0

PS. For some reason I can no longer post photos, but I have a photo showing #67 being called out at 13:34:16. The more passports they hand out the quicker the process because they have less passports to sort through. #67 to #143 took another 16 minutes.

I wonder why not many people take the train from Bkk to Nong Khai, it is simple, more comfortable than being squashed in a van, and I think better & safer than a bus trip, but of course can't beat a flight..

(apart from the cost) The trains leave at 8pm at night, and arrive between 8.30 am and 9/9.30am the next morning. You can take either the fan sleepers, about 460B, or aircond. ones, about 780 B, price varies slightly with upper or lower bed. When you get off the train, go to the ticket office, and buy a ticket on the new service that goes across to Laos. The connecting one leaves at 10am, pass through the new Immi. offices at the station in minutes, board the train & take about a 10 minutes ride to Thanalang, in Laos, get off the train, and get your Laos visa, again only minutes to do so. Then hop on one of the Thai Laos buses waiting there, pay 40 B. or, 10,000 kip,and travel to the bus centre in Vientianne.

So easy, but not as early for you to get to the Thai Consulate, although I was in the city before 11am. Of course, once it becomes popular, times will be longer, but it's great now.

I wonder why not many people take the train from Bkk to Nong Khai, it is simple, more comfortable than being squashed in a van, and I think better & safer than a bus trip, but of course can't beat a flight..

(apart from the cost)

The trains tickets are difficult to obtain near National Holidays or at the weekend,if you don't reserve early.

The trains leave at 8pm at night, and arrive between 8.30 am and 9/9.30am the next morning. You can take either the fan sleepers, about 460B, or aircond. ones, about 780 B, price varies slightly with upper or lower bed.

Strange,this,I pay always a little,more.Double pricing,again?

IF the Train is on schedule,the bus to the Friendship Bridge is faster.

When you get off the train, go to the ticket office, and buy a ticket on the new service that goes across to Laos. The connecting one leaves at 10am, pass through the new Immi. offices at the station in minutes, board the train & take about a 10 minutes ride to Thanalang, in Laos, get off the train, and get your Laos visa, again only minutes to do so. Then hop on one of the Thai Laos buses waiting there, pay 40 B. or, 10,000 kip,and travel to the bus centre in Vientianne.

So easy, but not as early for you to get to the Thai Consulate, although I was in the city before 11am. Of course, once it becomes popular, times will be longer, but it's great now.

It will be great,and more crowded,when the Train will arrive in Vientiane City.Don't hold your breath. :)

(apart from the cost) The trains leave at 8pm at night, and arrive between 8.30 am and 9/9.30am the next morning. You can take either the fan sleepers, about 460B, or aircond. ones, about 780 B, price varies slightly with upper or lower bed. When you get off the train, go to the ticket office, and buy a ticket on the new service that goes across to Laos. The connecting one leaves at 10am, pass through the new Immi. offices at the station in minutes, board the train & take about a 10 minutes ride to Thanalang, in Laos, get off the train, and get your Laos visa, again only minutes to do so. Then hop on one of the Thai Laos buses waiting there, pay 40 B. or, 10,000 kip,and travel to the bus centre in Vientianne.

- Because Orang37, as weII as myseIf, Iive in Chiang Mai. (As it says in his post 'Chiang Mai <=> Vientiane visa') :)

----

edit: but not together! :D

Edited by eek

As I am in Laos on holiday for a couple of weeks I thought I would try and get a multiple Non B here in Vietianne rather than have to go to KL in a few months.

A few things......................

The map shown on this thread has the embassy shown far too far along the road. As you turn into the road (left turn coming from the toyota garage on the main road) its immediately on the right hand side. During the day when its open you couldnt really fail to see it but if you are checking where it is the night before etc or coming from the other end you may miss it.

Got there at 7.45 am and there were approximately 30 people in front of me in the queue, a few of which were girl friends etc of the applicants so maybe 20 to 25 people actually ahead of me.

The gates opened at 8.30am and there was no rushing forward, just an orderly walk to the application area. A member of staff (?) was handing out the tickets at the machine rather than letting us take them. The reason for this was immediately apparent as the first number that was handed out was 23 !

I ended up with number 58 and in got served at 9.30 so the wait was only one hour. What took up most of the time was when the touts / agents arrived with the low numbers that had been kept aside for them (three of them got there all at once at about 8.50am) they had a pile of tickets each and a STACK of applications that took both people serving quite a while to go through.

On the application form (printed from their website - DO NOT BUY one from the touts outside, they have them available inside for free anyway and you will have plenty of time to fill it in) there was no box to tick for whether you wanted a single or multiple entry non imm. When being served I informed the staff member that I required a multilple entry and he said single only. Showed him the work permit with the valid stamp till Feb next year, still said no, showed the two previous multiple b's in passport and he said "from kl". I said that KL was a Thai embassy / consulate same as here and it shouldnt matter at all. He checked with another person who they all deferred to (in fact they were pretty much groveling) he duly looked through all the paperwork and said multiple entry no problem.

So I dont know if it was just luck that he was there or if they would have actually checked if he hadn't but I have ended up with a multiple entry and saved a trip to KL.

If only bringing the car in and out of Thailand was as organised as the embassy!!!

You got very lucky.

But I am sure it was because you had all the right papers and the boss was there. Plus a bit of persistance.

Maybe it will lead to others. But thats a very big maybe.

- Because Orang37, as weII as myseIf, Iive in Chiang Mai. (As it says in his post 'Chiang Mai <=> Vientiane visa') :)

----

edit: but not together! :D

Well, thinking logically, I was refering to the people who travel from Bkk by van or bus, and even those fliers, who worry about safety in land vehicles, and it seems there are many who go everyday from there, of course if you live in Chaing Mai, or other areas away from Bkk then this would not apply to you.....

I've only been to the old consulate before and was surprised to discover the new one (have not been following this thread). The new one is of course much nicer as there is now an actual queing system and you're allowed to sit down. If I go again I'll make sure to bring my laptop as there are plenty of chairs and power points upstairs.

Also, what's with the complete lack of Africans now? Did the Thais change the laws or something?

Sorry - another question rather than a reply - but what's the story with the Africans in Vientiane?

Also, can someone please confirm which bus station I need in Udon for the 'regular' bus to Nong Khai? (Above it says not No 1 and presumably it's not No 2 either.) Cheers.

The consulate no longer issues tourist visas to "Africans". They started only giving them transit visas a few months ago.

Can't help on the bus. If you are flying in you should check for a van from the airport,