Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

What is the earliest time you can go to apply for the visa and does it get issued the same day or do you have to go back the following day to collect your passport?

If I turn up in Vientien early morning from Thailand, can I be back out in to Thailand with my new double entry visa the same day?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is the earliest time you can go to apply for the visa and does it get issued the same day or do you have to go back the following day to collect your passport?

If I turn up in Vientien early morning from Thailand, can I be back out in to Thailand with my new double entry visa the same day?

NO. The process is drop off your passport and application the morning of the first day, retrieve passport the afternoon of the 2nd day.

FROM THE THAI EMBASSY VIENTIANE WEBSITE:

Visa Application:

Processing Time: 2 working daysApplication Acceptance:08.30-12.00 hours (Monday-Friday, except Thai/Lao holidays)Visa Pick-up:13.00-16.30 hours (Monday-Friday, except Thai/Lao holidays)

Official Holidays 2009 (2552)January 1

Thursday

New Year’s Day

Thai & Lao

January 2

Friday

Substitute for New Year’s Day

Thai

February 9

Monday

Makha Bucha Day

Thai

March 9

Monday

Women’s Day

Lao

April 6

Monday

Chakri Memorial Day

Thai

April 13

Monday

Songkran Festival Day

Thai

April 14

Tuesday

Songkran Festival Day

Thai & Lao

April 15

Wednesday

Songkran Festival Day

Thai & Lao

April 16

Thursday

Songkran Festival Day

Lao

May 1

Friday

National Labour Day

Lao

May 5

Tuesday

Coronation Day

Thai

May 8

Friday

Visakha Bucha Day

Thai & Lao

July 7

Tuesday

Asalha Bucha Day

Thai

July 8

Wednesday

Buddhist Lent Day

Thai & Lao

August 12

Wednesday

H.M. the Queen’s Birthday

Thai

October 5

Monday

Boath Racing Festival

Lao

October 23

Friday

King Chulalongkorn Day

Thai

December 2

Wednesday

Lao National Day

Lao

December 7

Monday

Substitute for H.M. the King’s Birthday

Thai

December 10

Thursday

Constitution Day

Thai

December 31

Thursday

New Year’s Eve

Thai

Office Hours : Monday to Friday 08.30 Hrs. - 12.00 Hrs. & 13.00 Hrs. - 16.30 Hrs.

Consular Section : Monday to Friday 08.30 Hrs. – 12.00 Hrs. : Application for Visa

13.00 Hrs. – 16.30 Hrs. : Distribution of Passports

Affixed with AppropriateVisa

Weekly Holiday : Saturday - Sunday

I hope this it helpful. Good luck.

Edited by johnefallis

Allo,

Rightho, visa runs out on the 29th of this month, no further extensions available so need to leave the country, got some friends going to Laos next week so works out nicely to go along with them.

Problem is, I don't do mornings at all well and was wondering if anybody had any experience with using one of the passport guys that hang around outside the embassy, but getting them to pick up the passport from the place you stay at and dropping it back with the visa in it a couple of days later. Money is not an issue, just not really able to do the really early morning thing for various reasons and trying to work out a no hassle way around it.

Has anyone done this, or found another way around actually having to go to the embassy in person?

Many thanks in advance,

Tom.

You could go to the Consulate at 9am or 10am and still get through ok...but just avoid Mondays.

Quick question about double entry tourist visa renewal at suan plu and then the border run, according to these dates, what day can i do my renewal at suan plu and then the visa run to cambodia?

issued:21Jan2009

arrival stamp in thai: 22Jan09

Enter before: 20 April 09

thx.

You cannot get a “tourist visa renewal” at an immigration office but you can get a 30-day extension of stay.

In your case your arrived in Thailand on 21 JAN 2009 using the first entry of your double-entry visa. Therefore, you now should have permission to stay until 21 MAR 2009 stamped in your passport. The extension of 30 days will give you permission to stay until 20 APR 2009.

Your visa says that you must enter before 20 APR 2009. Therefore, your second arrival in Thailand with your visa must be not later than 19 APR 2009.

--

Maestro

Thanks Tropo,

So in theory would it be possible to get there around 9 or 10 then leave the passport with one of the touts outside for processing, picking it up the following day?

Really don't fancy going through the whole queuing up thing...

Cheers,

Tom.

At the old consulate it was possible, not sure about the new one (you could even arrive just after midday). Price at the old consulate was double the price you'd pay by doing it yourself.

Allo,

Rightho, visa runs out on the 29th of this month, no further extensions available so need to leave the country, got some friends going to Laos next week so works out nicely to go along with them.

Problem is, I don't do mornings at all well and was wondering if anybody had any experience with using one of the passport guys that hang around outside the embassy, but getting them to pick up the passport from the place you stay at and dropping it back with the visa in it a couple of days later. Money is not an issue, just not really able to do the really early morning thing for various reasons and trying to work out a no hassle way around it.

Has anyone done this, or found another way around actually having to go to the embassy in person?

Many thanks in advance,

Tom.

You could go to the Consulate at 9am or 10am and still get through ok...but just avoid Mondays.

Thanks Tropo,

So in theory would it be possible to get there around 9 or 10 then leave the passport with one of the touts outside for processing, picking it up the following day?

Really don't fancy going through the whole queuing up thing...

Cheers,

Tom.

One person reported that you can buy ticket numbers for 300 baht. Perhaps you could arrive at 10 am and buy one to get you through quickly.

There's also a good possibility that if you arrive late you won't have to wait long because the majority of applicants arrive early. Friday is a very slow day, so if you don't mind spending some extra time in Vientiane I'm sure you could sail through on Friday even arriving very late.

You cannot get a “tourist visa renewal” at an immigration office but you can get a 30-day extension of stay.

In your case your arrived in Thailand on 21 JAN 2009 using the first entry of your double-entry visa. Therefore, you now should have permission to stay until 21 MAR 2009 stamped in your passport. The extension of 30 days will give you permission to stay until 20 APR 2009.

Your visa says that you must enter before 20 APR 2009. Therefore, your second arrival in Thailand with your visa must be not later than 19 APR 2009.

--

Maestro

Thx Maestro, actually it is stamped 'admitted until 22 Mar 2009' which is this sunday, is immigration open Saturday? Am i supposed to go on the date stamped? Can i just go tomrow (Friday 20th) and still get the extension until 20 APR 2009?

Thx Maestro, actually it is stamped 'admitted until 22 Mar 2009' which is this sunday, is immigration open Saturday? Am i supposed to go on the date stamped? Can i just go tomrow (Friday 20th) and still get the extension until 20 APR 2009?

Yes you must go today (Thurs) or tommorrow (Fri) Your 30 day extension will be added to your admitted to stay date.

You will not loose any days. This should take you up to 21st April.

Yes you must go today (Thurs) or tommorrow (Fri) Your 30 day extension will be added to your admitted to stay date.

Hi, I got the double entry tourist visa with no charge from the Thai Consulate. I arrived at 7:20 a.m. on Tuesday. There were 10 people in front of me at that time. An elderly Lao gentleman came up to me and asked me if I had all the proper documents, photos, etc. He said you also needed a copy of the Lao entry stamp in your passport. I didn't have this so I asked a couple of guys in the line and they confirmed that you did indeed need to show the stamp. This was my third trip to Vientiane and had never heard this before so was suprised. I reluctantly gave the man my passport to go make a copy of this page. After 5 minutes he returned and handed my passport back to me. Total charge was 40 Baht.

At 8:30 went in through the gate and got my number which was 32. I had checked x 2 next to visa type requested, but she asked me again as I had "tourist" written next to Purpose of visit. So she marked x 2 next to this also. After that I waited for my number to be called in the adjacent room and received the receipt at 9:05 and was finished. There was a big crowd the next day but we all managed to get in, get a number to pick up our passports, and wait inside. It took approximately 40 minutes to get the passport. It seemed the old consulate system with no numbers was quicker when retrieving your passport, but not necessarily so when submitting your passport.

Edited by stoney79

Hi, I got the double entry tourist visa with no charge from the Thai Consulate. I arrived at 7:20 a.m. on Tuesday. There were 10 people in front of me at that time. An elderly Lao gentleman came up to me and asked me if I had all the proper documents, photos, etc. He said you also needed a copy of the Lao entry stamp in your passport. I didn't have this so I asked a couple of guys in the line and they confirmed that you did indeed need to show the stamp. This was my third trip to Vientiane and had never heard this before so was suprised. I reluctantly gave the man my passport to go make a copy of this page. After 5 minutes he returned and handed my passport back to me. Total charge was 40 Baht.

At 8:30 went in through the gate and got my number which was 32. I had checked x 2 next to visa type requested, but she asked me again as I had "tourist" written next to Purpose of visit. So she marked x 2 next to this also. After that I waited for my number to be called in the adjacent room and received the receipt at 9:05 and was finished. There was a big crowd the next day but we all managed to get in, get a number to pick up our passports, and wait inside. It took approximately 40 minutes to get the passport. It seemed the old consulate system with no numbers was quicker when retrieving your passport, but not necessarily so when submitting your passport.

When you submitted your papers did they take your photocopy of the Laos entry stamp?

This really sounds like a scam for the guys outside to make extra money by doing photocopies. There no indication on the Laos Consulate website about the requirement. How would the guys next to you in the line know whether this is a requirement or not?

When you submitted your papers did they take your photocopy of the Laos entry stamp?

This really sounds like a scam for the guys outside to make extra money by doing photocopies. There no indication on the Laos Consulate website about the requirement. How would the guys next to you in the line know whether this is a requirement or not?

The lady at the desk took all the documents. The guys in the line had a friend who got the visa a few days before. He said that he needed to submit the copy of the Lao entry stamp, otherwise the consulate wouldn't take his documents.

Edited by Lite Beer
Fix Quote

The lady at the desk took all the documents. The guys in the line had a friend who got the visa a few days before. He said that he needed to submit the copy of the Lao entry stamp, otherwise the consulate wouldn't take his documents.

OK, fair enough. One more thing to do next time I go.

• 3 weeks later...

Into Laos by train, with less visa hassle

I suspect this may be welcome news to some people who regularly go to Vientiane for new visas. It was posted in another topic by Aussieboi and I am copying it here for your information:

NONG KHAI TO LAOS BY TRAIN..

I should also add, and sorry for not doing it when I wrote this post, as I have not seen much about it here, ( and admitedly I am not a regular viewer here,) how simple my trip to Laos was this time, on April 29th.

I took the overnight sleeper from Bkk to Nong Khai, and it arrived pretty much on time at just after 8.45 am. I walked the few steps to the rail office, and bought a ticket from there, to Thanaleng, Laos, for 10am, and paid 50 baht.

The new Immi offices are there, and would open at 9.30 they told me. And they did open on time, I went through Immi. in mere minutes, as I was the only farang, apart from some Chinese and Korean tourists. The train arrived empty, and I boarded at 5 minutes to 10, and it left the station, again pretty much on time.

I was stamped out of Thailand. The trip was slow, and about 15 minutes later arrived in Thanaleng, got off the train, and paid, and received my Laos visa, again in about 10 minutes. I barely had time to take photos, it was all so quick, unlike the normal bridge Immigration where there is a wait of hours to get through both sides sometimes.

There was one of the Thai/Laos bus waiting to take all 12 of us into Vientienne, for the small sum of 40 baht. No annoying tuk tuk drivers anywhere to be seen !!

Now I highly recommend this, :o so quick, uncrowded (for now) and easy, and none of those tuk tuk drivers trying to hassle you.

Hope this is in the correct section, the moderators are welcome to move it if not.

--

Maestro

Just to let you know, where you sit in the waiting area, outside the windows numbered 1 & 2, untill your number is called, you can go upstairs, and there is photocopying, and a toilet available. There are signs indicating this. Photocopies are 20 baht, or 5000 kip, and the toilet is free..

What's the working time on Nong Khai border check point ?

Wonder how late can I arrive , since my flight from bkk arrive to Udon around 6pm.

Thanks in advance.

Border closes at 10pm, just got back, Free x2 tourist no problem.

The new embassy is a marked improvement on the old one. Same set up, same procedure for applying, but the facilities are much much better, toilets a fairsized

comfortable seating area to sit and wait, no more standing in the sun. You go to the front pick a number out of a machine and sit and wait till its your turn....go to window 1 or 2 hand paperwork over...they check it then tell you to go into the building opposite to get receipt for passport. Again number machine, take a ticket and sit and wait, but this room as aircon, and I would say 4 times bigger than the other little room at the other embassy, plenty of comfortable seats.

I take that as a 'no'! The queue jumpers were a total nuisance at the old place. I started queuing about an hour before the place opened so got near the front of the queue but a crowd of mostly Filipinos decided they were above queuing and just jumped in when the gates opened. Can someone give us a bit of information about how the new system changes this. The old advice used to be to get there early but would it be better just to arrive at 1030 and take your ticket? Is there a queue outside the building to get into the building to take your ticket?

Edited by edwardandtubs

Just to let you know, where you sit in the waiting area, outside the windows numbered 1 & 2, untill your number is called, you can go upstairs, and there is photocopying, and a toilet available. There are signs indicating this. Photocopies are 20 baht, or 5000 kip, and the toilet is free..

Thanks Aussieboi for this useful information.

I take that as a 'no'! The queue jumpers were a total nuisance at the old place. I started queuing about an hour before the place opened so got near the front of the queue but a crowd of mostly Filipinos decided they were above queuing and just jumped in when the gates opened. Can someone give us a bit of information about how the new system changes this. The old advice used to be to get there early but would it be better just to arrive at 1030 and take your ticket? Is there a queue outside the building to get into the building to take your ticket?

I haven't visited the new Consulate myself yet (will so in 12 days time), but as far as I can gather from many reports on here, queue jumping is no longer a problem with the ticket system. I've even read that you can purchase low ticket numbers for a price.

^ :o

I haven't visited the new Consulate myself yet (will so in 12 days time), but as far as I can gather from many reports on here, queue jumping is no longer a problem with the ticket system. I've even read that you can purchase low ticket numbers for a price.

Tropo, when you go, any chance you can ask about the price of those low tickets (if they are actually doing that)?

Very curious to know what kind of asking price (I imagine pretty outrageous!)

:o Let me get this straight. There are a few people on this thread who, after complaining about queue jumping are now prepared to do the same by purchasing "low" number tickets in the consulate??!!! Unnnnnnnnnnnnnbelievable...be ashamed!

I didn't like the queue jumping at the old consulate but this is a new low as far as I am concerned.

^ pardon? If you are referring to what i posted, i think you jumped the gun a bit and didnt get it straight at all.

Seeing as I have always preferred to get to the consulate at least one hour before it officially opens, ive never needed to queue jump or will need to purchase a low number ticket.

Im curious to know what goes on with the new system. Wanting to be informed is no reason to make presumptions.

However, if people want to buy a low number ticket for some outrageous sum, thats up to them. I personally dont think its a new low at all. Paying for the privilege is one thing, people waltzing in from the back of the queue after you waited for over an hour is another. Id be a heck of a lot less ticked off by someone who paid several hundred (thousand?) baht to go ahead of me, than a individuals (or worse..a group) acting as though its perfectly normal to storm in front acting nonchalant.

^ pardon? If you are referring to what i posted, i think you jumped the gun a bit and didnt get it straight at all.

Seeing as I have always preferred to get to the consulate at least one hour before it officially opens, ive never needed to queue jump or will need to purchase a low number ticket.

Im curious to know what goes on with the new system. Wanting to be informed is no reason to make presumptions.

However, if people want to buy a low number ticket for some outrageous sum, thats up to them. I personally dont think its a new low at all. Paying for the privilege is one thing, people waltzing in from the back of the queue after you waited for over an hour is another. Id be a heck of a lot less ticked off by someone who paid several hundred (thousand?) baht to go ahead of me, than a individuals (or worse..a group) acting as though its perfectly normal to storm in front acting nonchalant.

I agree. Bangkokgas is definitely getting carried away here. It would be no different than someone offering a low ticket number to someone else for a kickback. AirAsia charge people for priority boarding of their aircraft...again, a similar thing.

I do the same as you....I arrive an hour before the gates open to ensure an early departure. I would have no animosity towards anyone willing to pay for a low number in the queue...but if they jumped the queue for free...that's a different story.

I shall let you know the price for a low ticket number if they are still on sale.

Edited by tropo

A lower starting price than i thought it would be, thanks rrose.

Wonder how many they keep in reserve.

Thanks too Tropo. Still always worth finding out how that price might fluctuate, if you feel like it.

Bit of a while before I need to make the trip again myself. But, I think i will go early and try get myself that free double entry TV! Will post trip details when I do.