Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

I don’t see how the rampant queue jumping at the old consulate has anything to do with the system in place at the new one. There is really no such thing as queue ‘jumping’ anymore with the number system.

IF you arrive late, be prepared to get a higher queue number and wait it out.

OR

buy a low queue number from the touts outside; it's that simple.

I just talked to a girl who shepherds foreigners for one of the "visa run companies", and she confirmed lower queue numbers are handed out in the morning to people outside the consulate. They in turn sell them to foreigners for a price.

When I asked her what the price was, she said it varied by how low the number was and what the number sellers thought they could get. She said it was usually between 300 to 700 baht depending on the stupidity of the foreigner.

She is trying to decide if it's worth it to reserve a 'block' of low numbers so her clients can get thru faster on the days she’s up there.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can do visa run on last day of permitted to stay stamp if that is what you are asking. I have no idea if you are capable of getting up at 5AM. :D

Ok thx. So if you go one or two days before they calculate the next two month extension from the day you go or the date the visa expires? (I have a double tourist).

Also, because free visas finish in June (5th?), and my visa will expire in July, I was planning to go early and get the freebie...any objections? :o

Edited by Green

If you cross a border and return on a new visa entry the time starts then (day 1). This is not an extension - it is a new entry.

If you extend a 60 day stay for 30 days at Immigration the time starts and the end of your current permitted to stay until stamp date (so you lose nothing in going early).

Yes you can obtain a new visa early.

. She said it was usually between 300 to 700 baht depending on the stupidity of the foreigner.

In the end, it's a matter of how much a person values their time.

300 baht for a low ticket number if I arrived after 9am would well be worth the money. Instead of skipping breakfast (most breakfast joints aren't open early enough) to get there an hour early, I could cruise and enjoy my breakfast.

700 is over the top if you can get there early, but it would be worth the money if a person wants to do the run in one day and arrives late on a busy day.

I am going up tonight, I'm expecting bedlam tomorrow as we've had the holiday but I don't want to overstay. Ho hum. Will report when I return. Friend came back after the Apr 6 hol said he got queue number 768 so he went and had breakfast and went back two hours later. I'll probably do something similar. Got to be better than standing in the sun like we used to do. We'll see.

I am going up tonight, I'm expecting bedlam tomorrow as we've had the holiday but I don't want to overstay. Ho hum. Will report when I return. Friend came back after the Apr 6 hol said he got queue number 768 so he went and had breakfast and went back two hours later. I'll probably do something similar. Got to be better than standing in the sun like we used to do. We'll see.

Number 768? I've heard reports that they have a daily allocation of applicants... at a maximum of 500.

They probably use a roll of 1000 tickets and continue on from the previous days numbers.

Edited by tropo

sorry guys -don't buy your arguements. Some can pay, others can't. I could, and obviously so could you. What's wrong with a bit of transparency here? Why should anyone have the right to pay more for a set service?(other than the old chestnut that I know you are going to throw out). Same for all I say. Arrest the buggers offering "quick service" -crikey, is that too much to ask of an official consulate?

Well I am off to Vientiane again tomorrow, fly to Udon in the morning. This time I really didn't fancy the wait at the border for my visa so I went to the Laos embassy in Bangkok this morning, I read on their site that for an extra 200 baht they will give you a visa the same day.

Anyway I got there around 9.30 and was the only farang, there were around 50 people waiting outsied and inside the embassy but only 2 people in the visa queue (I assume the others were waiting to collect). I paid for the visa and the extra 200 and expected to be told to come back in the afternoon but the guy said one hour. I went over the road for a bottle of water and went back into the embassy to sit down and the guy called me over, he had already done my visa and said "already, for you". I must have only been there 15 minutes from my arrival to getting my visa.

It is worth doing if you dont like the hot queue at the bridge followed by the other hot queue at the Thai consulate

If Vientiane is going to deteriorate into a free-for-all,those have the most cash wins, then I'd rather fly back to England and do it properly and transparently. It amazes me that those who were complaining previously are now crowing about how to abuse the new system!

2 questions as I have a visa run to do

1: approx travel time udon via thai/Lao customs then to embassy - I have two options Nok air gets into Udon @ 7am OR Air Asia gets intoUdon at 8am - enough time to hand in passport and docs?

2 Are the Non imm B visa free now like the tourist visas?

TIA

Agree it should not happen and people should not encourage it. And action should be taken to prevent it at a clean Embassy. And from previous reports Vientiane was very clean until quite recently.

I hope it does happen when I get there next week, as this little side enterprise could be very helpful. I have no quarms about exploiting it.

You cannot say the old consulate was "very clean" as there were plenty of "agents" willing to expediate the tourist visa process for a fee and guys making money helping applicants out the front. This has never been discouraged.

If Vientiane is going to deteriorate into a free-for-all,those have the most cash wins, then I'd rather fly back to England and do it properly and transparently. It amazes me that those who were complaining previously are now crowing about how to abuse the new system!

You'd fly to England out of principle just because a few enterprising Laotians are selling low tickets?

Talk about being a drama queen.

^ Was feeIing a IittIe down this evening..that provided a weII needed chuckIe!

Sorry bangkokgas, but reaIIy...dont you think you are being a tad extreme? :o

Anyway, nevermind, no need to answer pIease, as I dont actuaIIy mean to encourage antagonism. PersonaIIy I dont think its a big deaI if a few tickets are reserved and someone pays to go in front of me. But of course if you feeI so strongIy about it, then do whatever you feeI is the right thing for you. Even if you choose the most costIy personaI stand-off, at Ieast you wiII IikeIy cIock up some decent air miIe points in the process. :D

1: approx travel time udon via thai/Lao customs then to embassy - I have two options Nok air gets into Udon @ 7am OR Air Asia gets intoUdon at 8am - enough time to hand in passport and docs?

TIA

1. Dependent upon what the line is like to get the visa for Laos. I would figure on 3 hours to get to the conuslate from Udon. Whether you can get it done arriving late to the consulate will depend upon how busy the consulate is that day. I would not try it on a Monday.

2. Only tourist visas are free.

TIA

From recent report you can obtain a Laos visa here in Bangkok within an hour or so. So if it fits your plans you might come up here a day early to get the visa and then will not have to queue at border (which I understand is the major holdup). That should give you extra time to get to the Embassy.

Agree it should not happen and people should not encourage it. And action should be taken to prevent it at a clean Embassy. And from previous reports Vientiane was very clean until quite recently.

I hope it does happen when I get there next week, as this little side enterprise could be very helpful. I have no quarms about exploiting it.

You cannot say the old consulate was "very clean" as there were plenty of "agents" willing to expediate the tourist visa process for a fee and guys making money helping applicants out the front. This has never been discouraged.

I have never used Vientiane but I have read many posts on this forum that such activity was actively discouraged previously (although this was back before the throngs gathered). Even to extent of not accepting applications filled out by the touts (which I would not object to - that is a service). This current system is not fair (it is corrupt) and should not be encouraged in my opinion.

You'd fly to England out of principle just because a few enterprising Laotians are selling low tickets?

Talk about being a drama queen.

I didn't talk about being a "drama queen". You did. You seem to have double standards mate -fine by me. Just pay those Laoations then and all is well - at least as far as you are concerned. :o:D

OK just got back from Vientiane with my shiny new double entry tourist visa. Used the good services of Claudio, left On Nut Bangkok 9.30 pm, arrived at the border 5am, two pit stops on the way. Walked straight through Thai immigration with the shepherd. Waited for overstayers to pay and we were bussed across to Laos. Arrived 6.20 waited for visa on arrival till 7. At this point paid shepherd 4040 baht (2500 for trans and accom 1540 for Laos visa) Again straight through immigration with shepherd. Passport returned all stamps sorted. Van to consulate, arrived 7.40 looked like about 200 already in the queue. Already quite warm shepherd bought water for us. Gates opened at 8.30. Got to the ticket machine and got number 234 numbers were quickly past 500, if there is an allocation per day maybe this was waived today because of the long holiday. Many people used the photocopy service upstairs. Rip off!!! 25 baht per sheet. Two guys I was with were told they had to photocopy the Laos visa page as well. I had my ID page copied in BKK for 50 satang and it was the only one I supplied. My number was called at 10.00. Shepherd collected all our groups' queue numbers after we had applied and one of the staff stayed to collect receipts while we were taken to the hotel. Checked in at 11 had a much needed Beer Lao and a free lunch, though there only two choices. If you wanted anything else off the rather limited menu you paid. Room was fine, a.c, cable tv, hot shower. Shower,nap and then tuk tuk to the river. One rather annoying minus, the hotel is way out of town nobody managed to get a tuk tuk for less than 100 baht. Four times I paid 100 and twice I paid 120 coz i got sick of waiting. Couple of Beer lao some ribs and spring rolls came to about 200 baht watching the sun go down. Back to hotel for free buffet dinner all you could eat and well tasty. Another quick nap and out for the evening. Went to the Tex Mex place forget the name, pretty good singer in there and the Hare and Hounds. Back to the hotel at 11 as I didn't fancy a hangover the next day. Up at 7 there was a free breakfast but I like to have breakfast at Sabai Dee cafe down by the river on the corner of Francois Ngin. Good coffee and excellent omelettes little bit pricey at 191 baht but well worth it. Had a walk around town bought some baguettes and croissants from a boulangerie and back to the hotel. At 1 pm they took everyone over to duty free at the border but I waited for the shepherd who went to the consulate at 1.30. She collected all the passports. She said that the official told her there were over 800 applicants on Monday. Over to the border at 2.30, where once again we were shepherded through both Laos and Thai checkpoints. Passports returned, all stamps and visas present and correct. Set off back to Bangkok at 3.40. Stopped at a roadside joint for yet another free meal at 5.30 just a 30 baht coupon meal. Stopped once more around 8.30 to let the drivers rest and have a coffee and dropped off at Suan Lum at 11.45, you can choose a drop point anywhere in Central Bangkok you don't have to go back to On Nut. Taxi home was 120 baht. Door to door spent less than 6000 baht. Well impressed.

he got the visa and then we walked straight through... (no need to get a stamp in the passport once you get the visa on arrival)

Good luck!

A.

No need to get a 30 day entry stamp for Laos if you get the "Visa on Arrival".. Really???? If you did not get a stamp "in" what did the Lao immigration officer do when you wanted to leave?

What if I get a Lao visa in BKK - how much time will that save me at the border?

How much time you save will depend on what time you plan on crossing the bridge because at times it will be very busy and other not. It"s more a matter of luck than any thing else. You could save an hour or just 10 minutes.

If you are planning on a morning arrival in Nong Kai to apply for a visa that day It would be worth to insure you don't loose any time because you were unlucky and there were a lot of people getting the VOA.

I heard the border closes, anyone know what time?

If I arrive at 6pm on a flight to Udon, can i get to vientian that night? International bus or Mini van?

And after receiving the visa, how to people get back to udon in time to make the flight to bkk?

Nok or air asia preferences?

The visa on arrival for Laos closes at 10 PM. So you should be on the Thai side about 9 PM.

It only takes about 45 minutes to get from Udon to the bridge.

You can take a bus from Vientiane or get a taxi, tuk tuk or some other form of transport on the Thai side of the bridge to Udon.