Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

Thx for this very helpful post Travelvice,

Anyone knows which currency is needed while being in Vientiane for visa purpose ?

Do they accept thai bahts ? (embassy, guest houses ... )

Thai Baht is accepted at the consulate and in the places I have stayed. Shops take Baht as well.

All you need in Vientiane are Thai baht for all transactions. I would recommend bringing enough US dollars to pay for the VOA.

You will usually get Laos Kip as change when you spend Thai baht. Try to use it all up before you leave as it is valueless once you leave Laos.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just done free double entry tourist visa.

If you go by train to Nong Khai just wait for 1 hour and then there is another train to take you over the border. So much faster through immigration as there were only about 30 people on the train.

You go to Thalaeng station in Loas from Nong Khai station and then do all the Loas visa/entry/immigration inside the station.

Also the Thai railway website will only let you book 2nd class aircon making it look like the 1st class is full, i went to a train station in Bangkok and booked my tickets within 5 minutes if you wish to travel 1st class.

got me visa today,

the forms i downloaded were wrong,

the "new"forms HAD a section for how many entries.

i put '2"IN IT AND GOT A DOUBLE ENTRY

Can you (or someone) be more specific about that? I mean the new forms.

Thank you.

got me visa today,

Thank you.

They have printed new form, which it has the type of visa and the number of entries desired on right top of the form.

Bishop

got me visa today,

Thank you.

Don't bother downloading form from the website..i did that and it is totally different to the one handed out in the consulate.

Opposite the main gate is a little shop where for 50 Thai Baht they photo copy relevant passport pages and write your form for you.

Its worth the 50 baht and it stops other touts and gives you time to relax and take in whats happening.

After you get this form filled in and passport copies walk into the compound to the window far right corner but take a ticket from the machine and wait in line.

Submit passport etc through window and then go inside the building on your left hand side and wait in line for your reciept.

They will keep your passport overnight and next day after 1pm go and hand in your reciept and recieve your passport complete with new free visa!

PPPSS At immigration back into Thailand make sure you write the visa number on the immigration card !!!

(not sure if it matters but better for it to be there than it cancelling your whole visa)

It matters - without a visa number they may just give you a visa exempt entry stamp for 15 days; although most would probably ask if they see the visa. It would not cancel any visa if you did not enter the information - but if you did not check stamp you might have a large overstay bill on exit.

got me visa today,

Thank you.

They have printed new form, which it has the type of visa and the number of entries desired on right top of the form.

Bishop

And where can I download this new form?

At Vientiane Consulate website still is the older ...

You get the form at the Embassy in Vientiane. Don't download anything, there will be plenty of forms there.

Don't bother with the touts either, just go in, punch the button for a number and start working on your form. If you don't get a number right away you will be waiting forever. Under your photos there is a space to write in how many entries you want. Put a two in the form.

Upstairs there will be a Thai Embassy guy running the copy machine. 15 baht gets you a copy of your main passport page, your Laos visa, and most recent Thai visa. That's all you need.

Don't forget your photos, or you will have to have them done outside.

When your number is called pass the paperwork into the window. The woman inside actually stamped my number and told me that I didn't have to go to the counter and pay, since it was a free tourist visa.

I would suggest getting there at around 1:30 the next day. You will not receive a number this time, use the one from yesterday. If you lose the ticket just remember the number. I got there at 12:45 and had to wait in line until about 1:30, by the time I got outside with my passport, the line was gone.

As of 28 July, double entry tourist visas are free in Vientiane. Everyone in line got one. No one was denied for tourist visa. Good luck!

You get the form at the Embassy in Vientiane. Don't download anything, there will be plenty of forms there.

Don't bother with the touts either, just go in, punch the button for a number and start working on your form. If you don't get a number right away you will be waiting forever. Under your photos there is a space to write in how many entries you want. Put a two in the form.

Upstairs there will be a Thai Embassy guy running the copy machine. 15 baht gets you a copy of your main passport page, your Laos visa, and most recent Thai visa. That's all you need.

When your number is called pass the paperwork into the window. The woman inside actually stamped my number and told me that I didn't have to go to the counter and pay, since it was a free tourist visa.

I would suggest getting there at around 1:30 the next day. You will not receive a number this time, use the one from yesterday. If you lose the ticket just remember the number. I got there at 12:45 and had to wait in line until about 1:30, by the time I got outside with my passport, the line was gone.

As of 28 July, double entry tourist visas are free in Vientiane. Everyone in line got one. No one was denied for tourist visa. Good luck!

Thank you Skettios

In fact I "made" Vientiane 4 times and I know how it works but I have the "bad habit" to do the papers work (Laos Visa in Bangkok, fill the form application, copies as you said above, etc.) before I travel.

With "this" new form I'm not sure if they accept the older one; that's why I had asked if I could download it from somewhere.

Cheers!

Roland

What is the quickest way to get back to Udon Thani airport from the friendship bridge?

Is there a shuttle, or direct bus? How long would it take, and how much does it cost?

Hoping I can collect my visa at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane and make a 5:40 flight from Udon back to Bkk the same day.

Thanks!

There are a few things here that differ from my experience a few months ago:

1. You say you need a photocopy of your passport main page, your Laos visa and the most recent Thai visa.

I only needed a copy of my passport main page.

2. You say you don't get a ticket when you go back to pick up your passport the next day and that you use the same number from the day before.

When I went they were issuing tickets on the passport pickup day.

Can anyone confirm these two changes?

Edited by tropo

What is the quickest way to get back to Udon Thani airport from the friendship bridge?

Is there a shuttle, or direct bus? How long would it take, and how much does it cost?

Hoping I can collect my visa at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane and make a 5:40 flight from Udon back to Bkk the same day.

Thanks!

That bus starts from the airport, so you can check the return schedule

while inside arrival lounge at Udon airport ...

the journey takes about an hour

You can get a shared (or private) minivan to the airport after you enter Thailand. Probably about 150-250 baht depending on how many passengers. It's not so far so there's plenty of time to catch your flight.

1. You say you need a photocopy of your passport main page, your Laos visa and the most recent Thai visa.

2. You say you don't get a ticket when you go back to pick up your passport the next day and that you use the same number from the day before.

You need a copy of the loas entry visa (available for 50baht opposite main gate or inside)

you get a ticket from the counter which is then exchanged for a receipt which you take back the next day to collect your passport and new shiny visa

You need a copy of the loas entry visa (available for 50baht opposite main gate or inside)

you get a ticket from the counter which is then exchanged for a receipt which you take back the next day to collect your passport and new shiny visa

There were some people saying that I needed a photocopy of my Laos visa for my application, but as it turned out last time I was there (April 27) I didn't need one. I still think it is a scam for the photocopy people to make a larger profit as it is not listed as a requirement on the consulate website.

Now that you mentioned they're selling them (Laos visa photocopies) for an incredible 50 baht I can see why they convince people they are needed.

I'm aware of the receipt and ticket system. I received a new ticket when I came to collect my visa.

Actually after a poster had mentioned the visa forms on the Thai embassy website were old, I checked around.

Best thing I found was to email the embassy in Vientiane and they sent me one.

It is the same as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs visa form, except there are two boxes for photos, instead of one. Also the boxes are reversed.

Anyway, the form is great, but they have written Lao script on it as well, which on my laptop comes out as %^&$@&*.

So anyone know how to open a form and get the Lao script, or shall I just erase the Lao script?

I have emailed them again to see if they will send a form with just English or a revised form that prints out okay.

...Anyway, the form is great, but they have written Lao script on it as well, which on my laptop comes out as %^&$@&*.

Is it a Microsoft Word Document? Upload it here as an attachment to your post and I or somebody else may be able to open it in Word with the Laotian text displaying, then save it as a PDF document and upload it.

I copied some Laotian text from a web page just now, pasted it into Word, saved it as PDF, and it worked. Perhaps I can do the same with a Word document that already has Laotian text in it.

--

Maestro

Laotian_text.pdf

Visa_Requested_1_.pdf Here is a PDF copy.

The Thai embassy were good enough to send me this instead of sending a Word doc like they did yesterday.

Thanks for trying to help.

...Anyway, the form is great, but they have written Lao script on it as well, which on my laptop comes out as %^&$@&*.

Is it a Microsoft Word Document? Upload it here as an attachment to your post and I or somebody else may be able to open it in Word with the Laotian text displaying, then save it as a PDF document and upload it.

I copied some Laotian text from a web page just now, pasted it into Word, saved it as PDF, and it worked. Perhaps I can do the same with a Word document that already has Laotian text in it.

--

Maestro

Laotian_text.pdf

--

Maestro

Laotian_text.pdf

Hello, I am new to this forum,so I hope it will work.

I am from Holland and 56 years old and have had a O multiple entry from Holland for 7 years now.I don't want to go to Holland,but want to try

to get the same visa in Vientiane.In Holland I only have to show my bankbook with 1250 euro and I will get the visa.I am not married in Holland or Thailand

but stay together with thai gf for almost 10 years.I no it is difficult but I try.

What papers do I need?I will take my old pasport as well to show them all my visa I had before.

Many thanks in advance.

Although you may obtain single entry for retirement do not believe you will be able to obtain multi entry closer than Perth, Australia. But nothing lost in trying and you will be able to obtain some kind of visa in any case and have time to adjust plans if required.

I got a double-entry Tourist Visa in Laos two weeks ago. I got to the embassy at about 8:30 am (Monday, July 27), and there seemed to be about 60-80 people ahead of me, maybe more. I submitted my application around 10:30 and left. The next day, since I had a ticket for a 2:00 bus from Vientiane to Udon, I went pretty early to pick up my visa - about 11:40 (gates open at 1:00) - and was about 5th in line. As time went on, various people started to cut in front of me - looked to be mostly Filipinos, so, since I didn’t know if their line-cutting would make me miss my bus, I decided to do something about it. I went to each person or group who was cutting in line, and told them that they couldn’t do that, and had to go to the back of the line (which now was quite long). One Filipino guy told me that he had heard (no doubt from his Filipino friends) that you didn’t have to wait in line - that when the gates opened, everybody would just rush through the gates! Another Filipino guy told me “I’m just up here visiting with my friend; I’m not cutting in line; we know the rules”. Most of the other Filipino-looking people I talked to just backed off a few feet from the line (obviously planning to cut in when the gates opened). The only really polite people were two guys who looked to be Japanese. When I talked with them about no line cutting (they were actually sitting on the sidewalk near the front of the line), I realized from their response that they thought that everybody in line was there to apply for a visa, and they thought that since they were picking up their visa, they could be near the front. When I explained that everyone in line had already applied for their visa and were waiting to pick it up just like them , they nodded and walked to the back of the line. Three cheers for Japanese politeness! I had heard that when picking up a visa, everyone would get a number and then wait until their number was called. So I planned to actually find a consulate official and point out some of the line-cutters (I speak Thai well, having lived in Thailand 13 years). As it turned out, no numbers were given - the line just went forward up to the counter where the passports were handed out, so by the time I got my passport (which only took about 10 minutes, even though 10-15 people had cut in front of me), most of the people who had cut in front of me were gone. I’ve lived in the Philippines before, and I know how common line-cutting is there. What I plan to tell the Filipino line-cutters the next time is, if they want to work outside of the Philippines, they need to learn to act according to international standards of politeness, and that their line-cutting is giving their country a really bad reputation among a lot of expats in Thailand.

By the way, the 2:00 direct bus from Vientiane to Udon took about two and a half hours to get to the old bus station in Udon.

By the way, can anyone tell me if the Lao Immigration officials at the border will accept (and give change for) a U.S.$100 bill when buying the $35 Lao visa? I have a $100 bill that I'd like to use, and I've not found any banks in northern Thailand that will give change in U.S. smaller bills. The only way to do that is to cash it into baht and then exchange the baht for U.S. dollars!

I got a double-entry Tourist Visa in Laos two weeks ago. I got to the embassy at about 8:30 am (Monday, July 27), and there seemed to be about 60-80 people ahead of me, maybe more. I submitted my application around 10:30 and left. The next day, since I had a ticket for a 2:00 bus from Vientiane to Udon, I went pretty early to pick up my visa - about 11:40 (gates open at 1:00) - and was about 5th in line. As time went on, various people started to cut in front of me - looked to be mostly Filipinos, so, since I didn’t know if their line-cutting would make me miss my bus, I decided to do something about it. I went to each person or group who was cutting in line, and told them that they couldn’t do that, and had to go to the back of the line (which now was quite long). One Filipino guy told me that he had heard (no doubt from his Filipino friends) that you didn’t have to wait in line - that when the gates opened, everybody would just rush through the gates! Another Filipino guy told me “I’m just up here visiting with my friend; I’m not cutting in line; we know the rules”. Most of the other Filipino-looking people I talked to just backed off a few feet from the line (obviously planning to cut in when the gates opened). The only really polite people were two guys who looked to be Japanese. When I talked with them about no line cutting (they were actually sitting on the sidewalk near the front of the line), I realized from their response that they thought that everybody in line was there to apply for a visa, and they thought that since they were picking up their visa, they could be near the front. When I explained that everyone in line had already applied for their visa and were waiting to pick it up just like them , they nodded and walked to the back of the line. Three cheers for Japanese politeness! I had heard that when picking up a visa, everyone would get a number and then wait until their number was called. So I planned to actually find a consulate official and point out some of the line-cutters (I speak Thai well, having lived in Thailand 13 years). As it turned out, no numbers were given - the line just went forward up to the counter where the passports were handed out, so by the time I got my passport (which only took about 10 minutes, even though 10-15 people had cut in front of me), most of the people who had cut in front of me were gone. I’ve lived in the Philippines before, and I know how common line-cutting is there. What I plan to tell the Filipino line-cutters the next time is, if they want to work outside of the Philippines, they need to learn to act according to international standards of politeness, and that their line-cutting is giving their country a really bad reputation among a lot of expats in Thailand.

By the way, the 2:00 direct bus from Vientiane to Udon took about two and a half hours to get to the old bus station in Udon.

Last time I was there to make an application I was about #30 in line when I arrived. By the time I got my ticket I was about #150. I hadn't been paying attention at the time, but over 100 people (mostly Filipinos) had cut in front of me in the 45 minutes I was standing outside. They do it in a very sneeky way.

On the day quite a few minivans full of Filipinos had arrived early and obviously they thought it was ok for their friends to hold position in the line while they relaxed in their vans or went for breakfast.

This type of nonsense will not happen to me next time I'm there as I'll be paying close attention. If they are not standing in line, then as far as I'm concerned they are not in the line and can go to the back.

By the way, can anyone tell me if the Lao Immigration officials at the border will accept (and give change for) a U.S.$100 bill when buying the $35 Lao visa? I have a $100 bill that I'd like to use, and I've not found any banks in northern Thailand that will give change in U.S. smaller bills. The only way to do that is to cash it into baht and then exchange the baht for U.S. dollars!

NO, they will only accept the exact amount in USD and make you wait longer than the people who pay in THB.

NO, they will only accept the exact amount in USD and make you wait longer than the people who pay in THB.

Not true!Many times paid with a 100 or 50 bill(not too much used)and they gave the change in $.May happen only if they are momentarily without change!

Not true!Many times paid with a 100 or 50 bill(not too much used)and they gave the change in $.May happen only if they are momentarily without change!

Thanks for your answer to my question, abdulrahman. Thanks also to visarunner for taking the time to answer. Looks like there's a pretty good chance that I can get change for a $100, but should probably have $35 in small bills just in case.

• 2 weeks later...