Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

I'm going to Vientiane tomorrow, and am wondering which area should I stay? Or any recommendations of any hotel that aren't expensive, that is near the new Embassy (best by walking distance, or a short motor-ride)?

Why all the concern about where you stay? No matter where you are, you're not going to be more than 10 minutes or so from the consulate in a tuk-tuk.

My suggestion would be to stay in the tourist riverfront area where you have access to a lot of places to eat otherwise you may end up spending a lot in tuk-tuk fares to get to good cafe/restaurants.

Do you walk to save money, or just for exercise?

Edited by tropo

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to Vientiane tomorrow, and am wondering which area should I stay? Or any recommendations of any hotel that aren't expensive, that is near the new Embassy (best by walking distance, or a short motor-ride)?

Agree with Tropo.

You do not get your visa at the Embassy. You get it at the consulate which is not the same place. If you tell a taxi/tuk tuk driver embassy you will end up in the wrong place.

So some so-called visa agents are starting that scam again, are they?

If they send your passport and the visa application you signed to an address abroad while you remain in Thailand, then from the address abroad the application is sent to a Thai Consulate, returned by the consulate to the address abroad and from there to your agent in Thailand, the visa in your passport will be perfectly legal but you will have a 99.99% chance that when you leave Thailand and return with that visa, the immigration officer will not recognise the visa as valid, will cancel it and will give you just a visa-exempt entry stamp, and your visa agency will of course not return a single satang of the money you paid to them. A profitable business for them.

--

Maestro

So some so-called visa agents are starting that scam again, are they?

If they send your passport and the visa application you signed to an address abroad while you remain in Thailand, then from the address abroad the application is sent to a Thai Consulate, returned by the consulate to the address abroad and from there to your agent in Thailand, the visa in your passport will be perfectly legal but you will have a 99.99% chance that when you leave Thailand and return with that visa, the immigration officer will not recognise the visa as valid, will cancel it and will give you just a visa-exempt entry stamp, and your visa agency will of course not return a single satang of the money you paid to them. A profitable business for them.

--

Maestro

They don't do it that way. They have your passport stamped out of Thailand and stamped into Malaysia because visas are not required there. Meanwhile you stress out in Thailand without a passport hoping yours will actually come back. Then after your visa has been obtained from Hull your passport is stamped back into Thailand. The whole process can take over a month and it's not for the fainthearted...and of course it's illegal.

I believe the one year visas being offered in Vientiane are valid and obtained from the consulate there for between 30 - 35k. If you add to that the cost of traveling to and staying in Vientiane, the cost becomes quite prohibitive IMO. They could be non-O's but I'm not sure.

Latest Vientiane Lao Experience

I just got back late Tuesday night from Vientiane, used the fine services of Claudio from Sawasdee Transport (They leave from Onnut Tesco Lotus)

There have been some changes in the last 3 months since I had to do this last time. For reference this is my 3rd (and hopefully last) Non Immigrant B Visa from Laos.

It is quite simple, show up on Sunday or Wednesday night at Onnut Tesco-Lotus around 815pm, see Claudio who checks your paperwork to ensure all is in order for whatever Visa you are getting (Tourist, Non-Imm B, Non Imm Ed, etc.).

Hop in the Van (nice 10 passenger VIP style vans with DVD players/Large Overhead), relax and drive to Nong Khai with a couple of stops for toilet/food on the way. Get to the border around 530am or so. We used to go to a coffee shop, have a coffee, fill out all the paperwork (Thai Visa, Laos Visa, Laos Arrival/Departure Card), however it seems they don't do that at the moment, some hassle factor or something like that. So we just drove straight to the border and hung out there to fill out the forms.

Walk through Immigration and get stamped out of Thailand, then wait in the waiting area for the bus to take you across the border to Laos. If you are on Overstay you go into the Immigration office and wait until they call you to pay your fine and get your passport. This time I was over a day, had to pay 500B, just got a normal exit stamp in my passport.

When we got to Laos, they had a staff member waiting for us, she took our passports, Laos Visa form, Laos Arrival/Departure form and the proper Laos Visa fee (1,550 for Americans, I think 1750 for Canadian, forget the rest, Filipinos are free as they are ASEAN members) plus the fee for the trip (2,500 for transport, hotel in Laos, transport in Laos, Dinner first night, Breakfast next day). Then she took all the passports inside to the Laos Immigration folks while we waited outside. Then when they were ready we just walked through and went to waiting Vans to take us to the new consulate.

At the new consulate they have made life much simpler. I didn't get there until around 9am due to the delay from being on a day overstay, got number 180 and went and took a seat. They have seating for everyone under cover so no more stuck in the hot sun. Then someone ahead of me had an extra number lower than mine so the staff exchanged it for me. They called me at around 950am to go to the window to review my papers. They said all papers were in order, kept them and my passport and gave me back my number. Then I just gave my number to the staff of the visa service, plus my 2,000B for the Non-Imm B visa and jumped in a waiting van to go to the hotel (actually guesthouse). I was sitting eating late breakfast/early lunch at 1030am and downing my first Beer Lao!

Hung out that afternoon, took a nap, had dinner and then went out a bit. Got back and partied with the staff and the hotel owners until about 1am and then off to bed. Got up next day, had my breakfast, did some work and then we left the hotel around 130pm to head to the border. At the border we had some time for shopping in duty free until the staff showed up with our passports. While they took care of formalities we all exited Laos, got into the bus over the bridge and went to Thai immigration.

When we got to Thai immigration we walked through and had to wait this time at the Immigration office until the officer could match up our passports to our faces and she handed them to us personally. Last time this was not required. Then we hopped into the waiting vans for the ride back to Bangkok.

Everyone got the visas they had come for, the process was relatively painless other than the long ride in the vans to/from Nong Khai.

This time I expect to either extend this visa or head back to the USA for a trip and get a new 1 year multientry Visa.

Hope this helps and if anyone needs further details or contact information please PM me on the board.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that Laxman.

I'm heading up with Claudio (0818154803) and will post a report when I get back.

Sounds like a good service and the price is similar to doing it all yourself but without the hassle of changing buses at Udon Thani, getting a tuk-tuk from the road junction at Nong Khai, and then the other bits of transport required to get to the embassy/hotel/back to the embassy, back to Udon Thani etc.

Just back from doing the Laos visa run with Claudio and Sawasdee Transport Services.

Pretty much the way Laxman described. Get on the van at On Nut Tesco carpark and then off down Rama IX. Van stops every two hours which is a good thing as it helps keep the drivers refreshed. Arrive at the border around 5.30am and the staff take all the passports for stamp-outs. Onto the public bus across the bridge and all the passports and visa fees and transport fees are collected by the staff on the Laos side and given to Laos immigration.

Walk through immigration and onto Laos vans to the Thai consulate section. There was about 60 people waiting on Monday morning. Wait until your number is called and submit your passport and documents and then off to the hotel. A buffet dinner is included in the cost of the trip.

Next day depart the hotel at around 12.30pm and head to the border where we were passed through Lao Immigration while the staff went to collect the passports. On to the public bus back to the Thai side where we were again passed through immigration and loaded onto vans and taken to a holding area where cold drinks are available while waiting for our passports to arrive.

Everyone seemed to get the stamps they were after and staff were active in inquiring that all was okay. Back on the vans and back to Bangkok with vouchers provided for dinner at one of the roadside stops.

Over all a very good service. Only points to note are that the hotel being used in Laos is a little way away from the city center/river area but close to some of the foreign embassies. Rooms are basic but clean and comfortable with good air conditioning, cable TV and comfortable beds.

When we got back to Bangkok some people in our van didn't get dropped where they had asked to be and the driver was not cooperative in taking them to where they had asked to be dropped off. Apart from that a very smooth and painless service and only a few hundred baht more than if you did it all yourself, but without the hassles of changing buses and organising your own transport to and from the consulate.

Overall highly recommended.

Claudio can be contacted on 081.815.4803.

As it is the 5th of March, any reports, whether single or double tourist visas are given out for free? :o

I left my application for single entry tourist visa in Vientiane today and the fee was as promised 0 baht.

As it is the 5th of March, any reports, whether single or double tourist visas are given out for free? :o

Single Entry only.

That would be a nasty turn of events - if they stopped issuing double-entry tourist visas while the fee waiver is in effect.

Let's hope not! These consulates can change policies anytime they like.

Edited by tropo

Single Entry only.

That would be a nasty turn of events - if they stopped issuing double-entry tourist visas while the fee waiver is in effect.

Logic would say that if you applied for a Double Entry, you would only be charged for one of them. But........

Single Entry only.

Logic would say that if you applied for a Double Entry, you would only be charged for one of them. But........

Yeah, logic LOL.

My guess is that they will treat single and double entry tourist visas as completely different entities. There's lots of people applying everyday there...I hope we get a report soon so we can stop speculating.

Single Entry only.

Yeah, logic LOL.

My guess is that they will treat single and double entry tourist visas as completely different entities. There's lots of people applying everyday there...I hope we get a report soon so we can stop speculating.

For what it's worth, I went to the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh today (March 5th) and requested a double entry tourist visa and was told in no uncertain terms that only single entry will be granted until the visa waiver expires in June. I offered to pay for both entries and was declined. I was told to come back in June !!! Perhaps I should have applied yesterday ???

i'm in vientiane at the moment and today took advantage of the free tourist visa thing. was very straightforward and a welcome saving of 1,000 baht. the new consulate could do with a few more staff to speed the process up a bit though, was a lot faster at the old embassy last time i came here.

Single Entry only.

Yeah, logic LOL.

For what it's worth, I went to the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh today (March 5th) and requested a double entry tourist visa and was told in no uncertain terms that only single entry will be granted until the visa waiver expires in June. I offered to pay for both entries and was declined. I was told to come back in June !!! Perhaps I should have applied yesterday ???

1-0 To Tropo. That is crazy. Thanks for the report.

Single Entry only.

Yeah, logic LOL.

1-0 To Tropo. That is crazy. Thanks for the report.

LOL...I was hoping I was going to be wrong.

I was planning to head to Phnom Penh for a double entry tourist visa in May. This fee waiver is going to cost me a lot extra unless we can still get them in Vientiane.

Edited by tropo

Thai logic at its best. :o You get it for free, so take what we have on offer now and bugger off. Any 'extras', even for good cash - sorry, but we are inflexibel...

Edited by 7

Thai logic at its best. :o You get it for free, so take what we have on offer now and bugger off. Any 'extras', even for good cash - sorry, but we are inflexibel...

This is not an example of Thai logic. Where in the world are government departments (consulates in this case) flexible?

I'm about to take my first trip to Vientiane for a visa run. I'm been reading this board for about an hour. I hope my questions are not too stupid and that someone can help me.

First, I am a US citizen, 45 years of age and will be traveling to Udon Thani from Chiang Mai via bus or car, and then another bus across the border.

I understand that single entry tourist visas for Thailand are now free of charge and double entry tourist visas are perhaps not being offered at any price. (Hopefully I can get a double entry.) If I am successful in getting a double entry tourist visa, I understand that this visa will be valid only 90 days from the day it is issued. My first question is:

What does a double entry visa actually get you? I am assuming the following and please correct me if I am wrong:

With a double entry Thai tourist visa I can first enter Thailand for a maximum of 60 days. I can get that renewed for another 30 days at Chiang Mai Immigration (so basically I get 90 days.) Before the visa given to me in Vientiane expires -- which again is 90 days from the issue date -- I can then leave Thailand by any means (even going to Mae Sai, Myanmar, crossing the border on foot -- which is a lot easier from Chiang Mai than going to Vientiane) and re-enter Thailand the same day. The Thai autorities will then issue me a new 60 day visa which I can then again renew for another 30 days at Chiang Mai Immigration. Is this right?

I have other questions but this is the burning one. I'll post more late if I get responses to this one. Many, many thanks.

Or perhaps the issue is no longer relevant since the visas are now free and maybe only single entry ones are being issued. All comments welcome.

It is more or less right. You can get the extension at imigration, but it would cost 1,900 baht. Make sure you enter the 2nd time before the date the visa expires. There will be a stamp on the visa that says something like (use before ****).

Thanks. Glad to know my understanding is more or less correct. My next question:

Now that Thai visas are being issued free of charge, it does make sense that they may not even sell a double entry visa. Does anyone know for sure? Today is Tuesday Mar. 10 and I will be headed to Lao in four days (Saturday.) If no one knows I will post my experience upon my return.

Thanks. Glad to know my understanding is more or less correct. My next question:

Now that Thai visas are being issued free of charge, it does make sense that they may not even sell a double entry visa. Does anyone know for sure? Today is Tuesday Mar. 10 and I will be headed to Lao in four days (Saturday.) If no one knows I will post my experience upon my return.

It was confirmed on another thread that Vientiane is issuing double entry tourist visas free of charge. Hard to believe, isn't it?

How much is Claudio charging nowadays for a Laos visa run? Has anyone been there since the free visa rule took effect?

There is no "free visa rule". It's a 3 month waiver of tourist visa fees...until June.

Of course you'd expect any agent to take 1,000 or 2,000 baht off the price depending on single or double entry.

Edited by tropo

I just got my 2month tourist visa at Vientiane yesterday. Zero dollars. Be aware, now that they're using a numbering system - I was the 32nd person in line and was issued # 164. Other people arrived far later than me ( I was there at 7:45) and were helped much more quickly. They sell the lower #'s outside the gates where the drivers sit. 300 baht. If I'd known ahead of time, I'd have saved about 3 hours.

...Be aware, now that they're using a numbering system - I was the 32nd person in line and was issued # 164...

I wonder, do they start at #1 every morning? The probably do, if they limit the number of applicants per day to 400 or 500, as somebody posted.

...They sell the lower #'s outside the gates where the drivers sit. 300 baht...

What an ingenious racket, or should I say service to visa applicants? I’ve heard of ticket scalping, and this takes it one step further.

--

Maestro

The workers on the inside are totally in on it too. Any #'s that didn't sell...they skip over. So, naturally, they start out with "1...2..." then, Interestingly, you get to "18...26...49..." etc.

Well, ya, it IS brilliant. If I'd understood that a lower number was on offer when I was approached and asked if I wanted to "make go fast" - and if I'd known my wait would be 3 hours...I'm afraid I'd have totally taken him up on it. The sun was baking, y'all, and although the payment area is A/C, the submission area is not.

Side note - really nice new buildings! And just so everyone knows: NO CHARGE for my visa. You only wait in the pay building for a reciept stamped $0.00 (I presume to match your number up for tomorrow when you pick up your passport and visa).