Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They have been using the same exchange rate for years to come up with the baht amount.

No, I mean $42 USD for Canadians

I guess I didn't get the meaning because that is about what it is if you calculate what 1500 is equal to in USD at todays exchange rates.

The fee is 1680 baht for Canadians according to the Lao embassy website.

http://www.bkklaoembassy.com/consular%20service/visafee.htm

Hmm..will be going up soon to grab myself a free double entry before the times up. Ive just downloaded the form..and quick question guys. I recently had a new passport issued in Thailand. In the section "Issued at"..do i actually put "Thailand", or is it still considered 'issued' by my home country? Sorry if it sounds like a silly question..just wish to make sure. Tnx.

I don't know about yours but my passport says where it was issued. If it does that is what I would put.

Most countries passports are actually issued in the home country now even though they were arranged for in Bangkok.

I'll summarise my trip.

Parked near the bridge and went across around 1 p.m. on Tuesday.

There were maybe two other foreigners on the bus.

No line at the Laos visa desk. Paid the 1500 Baht and got the passport back in under 3 minutes!

At the Embassy the next morning there were perhaps 20 people in line at 8:30 when I arrived. Took about 20 minutes for my number to be called then on to the next building to collect the receipt which took maybe another 30 minutes, so I was out in about an hour.

In hindsight, turning up at the 8:30 opening time was a waste of time as I saw that people turning up later were getting served immediately.

The next day, I stood in line behind the same 20 people or so. Then misunderstood the system so got a ticket after everyone else, but it was still only a 20 minute or so wait and recieved a double entry tourist visa for no fee.

Went straight to the bridge and there were maybe 5-6 foreigners there at that time and on the Thai side the lines at the emmigration desks were never more than about 4 people deep, and I had to fill in the arrival/departure card, so I lined up behind just one person.

I was struck by the difference to my last trip where the lines at the bridge immigration points on both sides were 20-30 minutes up each way.

Hmm..will be going up soon to grab myself a free double entry before the times up. Ive just downloaded the form..and quick question guys. I recently had a new passport issued in Thailand. In the section "Issued at"..do i actually put "Thailand", or is it still considered 'issued' by my home country? Sorry if it sounds like a silly question..just wish to make sure. Tnx.

Hi eek, P.M. sent

I always put FCO Bangkok. My UK Passport says FCO.

...I recently had a new passport issued in Thailand. In the section "Issued at"..do i actually put "Thailand", or is it still considered 'issued' by my home country? ...

I had 26 arrivals with Swiss passports issued in Bangkok, on the arrival/departure cards always indicated truthfully “issued at Bangkok”, and never had any problem with it.

post-21260-1243524576_thumb.jpg

--

Maestro

just back today, may 29. i got double entry, free, tourist visa no problem. here are some points i think might be of interest.

1) the number system.

applying for the visa seems to work ok, with minor line jumping by those whose culture already permits that kind of behavior. numbers are called in batches of 5 - 10 or so and even if your number is lower than someone else's and you are standing in front of them at the window they may try to crowd in front of you. try to stay calm.

picking up the visa the next day was a nightmare though. there are several buttons to push on the number machine and no one was quite sure which one to use, so finally everyone just got into a long line inside the building. each holding a number which appeared to be meaningless. and the crush, rush, crowd to get a number is obscene.

2) time

applications seemed to be accepted at a rate of about 1 per minute, so not too bad.

pickup, on the thursday i was doing it, was a mess. based on prior experience i had pre-purchased a 2 o'clock VTE to Udon Thani bus ticket expecting it to take about 30 minutes to pickup the visa and another 30 to get back to the bus station. but the gates did not open until after 1:15 and then the number mess made it impossible to make that bus connection. as it was i did just manage to get back to the bus station and get one of the last tickets for the 4 o'clock bus.

(a side note: the VTE - Udon bus drops you at the main bus terminal in Udon. you will need to go to the #2 bus terminal to get a bus to chiang mai.)

the late opening was caused by the backlog of visa applications that were still being processed at 1:30. so the inside of the building was jammed with people waiting in line to pickup their visas applied for the day before as well as those still being processed from that morning. they wouldn't issue the visas until all the applications had been processed.

lesson: mondays and thursdays should be avoided. fridays also, unless you want to spend a weekend in VTE. so, go on tuesday to apply and pick up on wednesday for best results.

3) touts, agents, etc.

i've never used one, but i ran across a guy who ended up helping me for free. he did an excellent job and i would strongly recommend him to all. if you want further assurances pm me. (what he did for me was above the call of duty and saved me much time. and he did not charge for it. i had hired him to transport me to and fro. he is not a tuk-tuk driver. he just does it on his own with his moto-bike. he is very, very knowledgeable about the visa process and speaks excellent english. i will call him next time i go and hire him by the day. a great find!)

Mr. Thai 020 791 9777. he works at the Tawee GH (which i have never used and really don't even know where it is, but i will look for it next time)

that's about it. for me it is a long long bus journey and i am tired now.

one final note: it appears that the tobacco sellers have been removed from the market behind the talat sao. not sure where they have gone. looks like VTE is trying to clean up their markets as the talat sao itself is under going major renovation.

Edited by altman

Also picked up my passport with dual entry tourist visa on Thursday. The number system actually broke on that day, so everyone was Qing but nobody had announced to do so. Many people sat and waited oblivious to the lack of progression on the number board. Worth noting that for some reason in the afternoon, some people were Qing to receive a slip of paper as if they had just submitted an application. I hadn't seen that before in the afternoons.

On submitting on weds morning, the agents get the first numbers. If you see a laos looking guy or girl turn up just before they open the gate, who does not Q, make sure you do your best to run past her when the gate opens. Why? She will stroll up to the lady handing out tickets, and immediately be given 50 or so numbers starting from the person immediately before her. I was a gentleman and let her walk in front of me- big mistake. I was 6th in line and in one foul move went from 6th to something like 60th. She refused to swap one with me, and then proceeded to flirt with me (go figure!!!).

I took the train from Bangkok - Nong khao - Tha Naleng. Tha naleng is heaven on earth for processing the visa into Laos. You do get stamped out of Thailand in Nong khai, its impossible to miss. Lots of friendly, smiling guards and staff. No hassle. Locals. I almost didn't want to mention this alternative route (although Im not the first) because I don't want all you smelly fat bastards using it too.

On the return I decided against using Tha naleng as there is a 2 hour wait in nong khai- which I can do on my own thanks, so I took the bridge over, very few people at 4:30pm, and ate some food outside the train station in nong khai, train left at 6:25 and arrived this morning in Bangkok at 7:00 (half an hour late).

...I recently had a new passport issued in Thailand. In the section "Issued at"..do i actually put "Thailand", or is it still considered 'issued' by my home country? ...

I had 26 arrivals with Swiss passports issued in Bangkok, on the arrival/departure cards always indicated truthfully “issued at Bangkok”, and never had any problem with it.

post-21260-1243524576_thumb.jpg

--

Maestro

My new Passport shows EDA Bern (you may have to change to that with your next passport)

My new Passport shows EDA Bern (you may have to change to that with your next passport)

Yes, the new Swiss passports (model 06) with the chip holding biometric data are all issued in Switzerland.

My current passport was not applied for in Bangkok but in Switzerland and therefore shows the regional passport office as place of issue.

post-21260-1243585024_thumb.png

--

Maestro

My story.

Day 1

Arrived Embassy at 9.25 got number 301 Ouch! Waited forever all through the process at 11.45! Ouch! 1/2 of the population of the Phillipines was in line with me, with a smattering of the usually crusty characters, and one drunk British guy-who went on and on to anyone who would listen about "The injustice of the visa process, conspiracy theories, etc..." I looked for the mysterious low number sellers but turned up none. Met another guy who was looking for the same but who had also come up empty handed. Where do they hang out? The second waiting was made painfully slow by every other applicant rushing the window asking if the visa was free or not, and then moaning about why theirs was not...As it was free they just put a little stamp on the number ticket.

Day 2

Arrived at 1.30 got number 169 Ouch! Got my 2x visa (free) at 3.40 Ouch! Not really sure what the delay was, only 2 people working maybe. taxi to border. Waited 30 minutes at Lao Immigration. Waited 40 minutes at Thai Immigration! Ouch! Got to Non Khai train station at about 5.40. It was quite a long day. I was originally scheduled for a flight at Udon but thankfully they had changed it to later because of weather and I decided just to take the train back instead! I never would have made the flight.

But have to say that this was the longest trip I have ever had to endure...I chalked it up just to bad luck and bad timing. The new system from a straw poll that I conducted with fellow waiters came up with 50% saying the new system was a little faster, and 50% saying it was the same as before. I read other posts and people seem to fly through the whole thing...I sure hope that I am one of those people next time!

It sounds like a typical Monday or Thursday at the consulate. Those are the worst days.

Visa run companies leave on Sunday and Wednesday evenings If you are going on your own Wednesday is the best and Tuesday as the 2nd best. Of course Friday is the very best if don't mind spending the weekend.

I'm about to do my second visa run to Vientiane for a Double-Entry Tourist Visa and I have a few questions. I hope someone can help...

1) I'm going to try to do this with just a single night's stay in Laos. The plan involves the early flight on Nok to UTH (arrives 07:05) on Tuesday, the shuttle to the bridge at Nong Khai, hopefully a quick crossing and up to VTE, check-in to a guesthouse (while I've still got my passport) and get to the Thai Consulate in time to apply.

Q. Am I being hopelessly naive about the timing? My gut tells me I should be at the Consulate no later than 10:00.

Q. What time does the crossing at the Friendship Bridge open? (The crossing itself, not the visa application station).

2) To facilitate a quick crossing, I'm going to get my visa to enter Laos in advance from their Embassy in Bangkok on Monday.

Q. My plan for that is to take MRT to Thailand Cultural Center, then hail a cab. Does that sound about right?

Q. I've already downloaded the Laos visa application. The form has a spot for 1 photo, the separate instructions call for 2 photos. Which is it?

Q. Along with my passport, the application form, money and photos, is the Laos Embassy going to need anything else such as a copy of my passport, and if so, which pages?

3) At the Thai Consulate in Vientiane...

Q. Along with my passport, the application form and 2 photos, is the requirement still in place to have a signed copy of the photo page of the passport?

Q. Are they requiring copies of anything else at this time?

4) Regarding my passport specifically, both Thailand and Laos require that you have at least 6 months validity left on your passport before they'll issue a visa. As of this moment, I've got precisely 6 months, 13 days.

Q. Am I likely to be refused by either Thailand or Laos? Are they all smart enough to realize that 6.4 is greater than 6 even though it's not 7?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help clear this up for me.

I'm about to do my second visa run to Vientiane for a Double-Entry Tourist Visa and I have a few questions. I hope someone can help...

1) I'm going to try to do this with just a single night's stay in Laos. The plan involves the early flight on Nok to UTH (arrives 07:05) on Tuesday, the shuttle to the bridge at Nong Khai, hopefully a quick crossing and up to VTE, check-in to a guesthouse (while I've still got my passport) and get to the Thai Consulate in time to apply.

Q. Am I being hopelessly naive about the timing? My gut tells me I should be at the Consulate no later than 10:00.

Q. What time does the crossing at the Friendship Bridge open? (The crossing itself, not the visa application station).

2) To facilitate a quick crossing, I'm going to get my visa to enter Laos in advance from their Embassy in Bangkok on Monday.

Q. My plan for that is to take MRT to Thailand Cultural Center, then hail a cab. Does that sound about right?

Q. I've already downloaded the Laos visa application. The form has a spot for 1 photo, the separate instructions call for 2 photos. Which is it?

Q. Along with my passport, the application form, money and photos, is the Laos Embassy going to need anything else such as a copy of my passport, and if so, which pages?

3) At the Thai Consulate in Vientiane...

Q. Along with my passport, the application form and 2 photos, is the requirement still in place to have a signed copy of the photo page of the passport?

Q. Are they requiring copies of anything else at this time?

4) Regarding my passport specifically, both Thailand and Laos require that you have at least 6 months validity left on your passport before they'll issue a visa. As of this moment, I've got precisely 6 months, 13 days.

Q. Am I likely to be refused by either Thailand or Laos? Are they all smart enough to realize that 6.4 is greater than 6 even though it's not 7?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help clear this up for me.

I'm not an expert but I think I can answer to your questions:

1 – I would avoid the guesthouse check-in and go straight to the Consulate.

2 – To save time at the border it's a good idea to get the Laos visa at the Embassy.

Make sure you ask urgent (more 200 baht) and they give you back the passport stamped in 30 minutes.

The MRT nearest is Hui Kwang (about 60 baht taxi from there).

You only need one photo there and only the application is needed + one photo + passport and the money.

3 – I don't think they ask a signed copy of the passport's photo page but to feel save take it and no, they don't need anything else.

Either, don't be worried about your passport's date – is still on time.

Good luck

I'm not an expert but I think I can answer to your questions:

1 – I would avoid the guesthouse check-in and go straight to the Consulate.

2 – To save time at the border it's a good idea to get the Laos visa at the Embassy.

Make sure you ask urgent (more 200 baht) and they give you back the passport stamped in 30 minutes.

The MRT nearest is Hui Kwang (about 60 baht taxi from there).

You only need one photo there and only the application is needed + one photo + passport and the money.

3 – I don't think they ask a signed copy of the passport's photo page but to feel save take it and no, they don't need anything else.

Either, don't be worried about your passport's date – is still on time.

Good luck

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thank you.

It's just a bit worrisome to me how one would check into a guesthouse without proper identification; I'm definitely conditioned to the Thai way of doing things in that regard. I have no prior relationship with the place I'm staying this time, and while I could go back to the accommodations I used last time, I doubt they'd remember me from a single prior visit.

Where I can see timetable for train Tha Naleng - Nong Khai? Somewhere it say depart 16.00 and some says 17.00. Is there bus to train station from bus station? Just in case I don't catch the first bus to Udon from Vientiane after I get my visa, I think I will try this way

Unless things have changed in last 4 days the ThaNaleng to Nong Khai train will leave the Tha Na Leng station at 15:45. It travels 15 minutes to Nong Khai station then waits for 2 hours for a departure from Nong Khai to Bangkok at 18:20. Local tuk tuks either havent heard of ThaNaleng or will tell you the wrong departure time.

However I did not take it personally, but this is what the ticket guy at thanaleng told me and I see the same report on a blog from a couple weeks ago.

Warning: tickets have to be booked in advance for that service, I dont think you can turn up at 15:30 and get on board the 15:45 without a ticket booked the day before- they dont have a printer and dont want to give hand written tickets so I was told. So, they send for them on the next train to nong khai. YMMV Personally I cant believe they would do this to you its such a small and informal service. But, I was told this first hand experience from a trusted friend who did the journey previously.

Edited by OxfordWill

Report of one more trip to Laos/Vientiane, written now on my way back: Sunday I took the 6.30 pm train Bangkok-Nong Khai (Hua Lampong St.), arrived 5.40 am next day. Tuk tuk to the border (30 baht), gates at the Immigration openned 6 am. Shuttle bus (20 baht) to cross the friendship bridge to Laos Immigration. Than a taxi (200 baht) straight to the Thai Consulate where I arrive 7.20 am. I'd counted 22 people on the queue but with the "usual suspects" (Philippine "jumpers" and travel agencies), I got the number 79. Can't complain as yesterday's morning more than 500 numbers! were given. For some reasons the expert Moderators of this board keep telling us to avoid the Mondays... Anyway, I got my TV receive (which is still free until the 4th) at 10.20 am. Next day (TODAY) and to be caucious about the pick-up Passport's queues I've decided to go early (11.30 am). Only 2 guys already there. 1.20 pm the gate was open, 20 minutes later coz the caos made by the "jumpers" (again) and the people already waiting on the queue in this very hot morning. Anyway, 5 minutes later (1.25 pm) I had in my hands what I was looking for - A DOUBLE TOURIST VISA ... free :) In aside note I truly recommend to take an umbrella for the sun (or rain).

just a thought....has anyone in CM tried getting a bus to Korat or Khonkaen and then gone to nongkhai from there?

You could do it but it would be a longer trip. KK and Korat are a lot farther from Nong Kai than Udon.

Just got my visa back couple of hours ago. double entry, free and back to back no problem (uk passport).

Can confirm that today was the last free day, there's a sign on the noticeboard near the toilets saying this.

It's a bit of a scrum picking up in the afternoon (1-3pm), but there's an orderly ticketing system and there's no advantage to arriving on time except having to wait in the sun. I would recommend turning up about two and walking straight in to the queueing machine and getting a ticket.

Was very glad I had a sun umbrella today.

just back from a vientiane run and it was pretty much a doddle again, the new embassy is far improved on the old one. there are of course the usual numbers of selfish and self-important tossers who think that it's fun to barge in at the front of the queue when two hundred other people have been standing there for an hour in the sweltering sunshine, but then i guess you're never really going to eliminate that entirely. embassy service was pretty quick and efficient again, very chuffed with it.

I just collected my double entry TR visa from the Thai Embassy.

I live here in VTE and thought I would take advantage of the free visas so applied for one on the last free day (yesterday). Picked it up without incident.

It's a shame that enough people have abused the system in Thailand to make the government warrant another change in the visa waiver rules, which has a negative knock on effect for those who don't live there and only want to visit for a few days, such as myself... :D

Middle-aged male, long-stay 'Tourists', talking about 'here' as if they were still in Thailand, arriving with a Beerlao can in one hand, the young Thai girlfriend in the other on their regular 'visa run' together... yes there's not another embassy I know in VTE like the Thai one... :)