Buying A Harley

rono

I am looking for a response from the harley owners or riders who used to have a harley in LOS. For those among you who wont go public with answers or comment you can pm me.

I have always been a fan of Harley and always wanted to own one but it just never happened. Before investing the equivalent of a new car in a bike I like to know the cons of riding a Harley so my questions are: are they reliable, are spares readily available, are spares more expensive compared a japanese big bike, are there repair shops or good mechanics outside the big cities like bkk, phuket, pattaya.

I have the book 100 year history of harley and assume that the evolution and big twin engines are good but still want to know the experiences of the riders over here.

rono

What year are you thinking of buying?

Evo's ran until 2000 i believe and if they are well maintained they are basically bulletproof.

Twin cams are smoother (balanced) and have rubber mountings so only the engine shakes and not the whole bike (better for nuts not coming loose :D ) More powerful also.

I have a 92 fatboy which runs beautifully (engine was rebuilt in 02). :o

On a separate note I don't know what your looking to spent but I HIGHLY recommend this bike.

It really is dirt cheap for what it is, the parts and work thats gone into it is amazing.

I watched it being built from the start and have ridden along side it many times, its looks beautiful and go's and sounds brilliantly.-

custom Harley for sale.

Pics-

imgBjyfNY.jpg

imgef5jRW.jpg

You really need to see it in the flesh as it were. :o

I do not own this bike and have nothing to do with the sale of it I just love the thing and my friend built it! If i had the money it would be sitting outside mine now.

Edited by davethailand

Hi Dave, I expected you to be one of the first to reply, thanks.

I have been talking with some harley riders and they all said they didn't have unusual problems with their bikes.

Thebarnes and noble book "the harley-davidson century" confirmed the old storey in my homeland that HD had major quality problems during and shortly after their AMF period. The book also stated that with the evo and twin cams harley had engineered good engines and that HD is now one of the best managed companies is the USA and is one of the best bike manufacturers in the world.

I do trust the quality of the bikes but we are here in LOS where things are a bit different so my questions were mostly about service and repairs.

rono

Hi Dave, I expected you to be one of the first to reply, thanks.

I have been talking with some harley riders and they all said they didn't have unusual problems with their bikes.

Thebarnes and noble book "the harley-davidson century" confirmed the old storey in my homeland that HD had major quality problems during and shortly after their AMF period. The book also stated that with the evo and twin cams harley had engineered good engines and that HD is now one of the best managed companies is the USA and is one of the best bike manufacturers in the world.

I do trust the quality of the bikes but we are here in LOS where things are a bit different so my questions were mostly about service and repairs.

rono

Where do you live Rono? :o

HI

I have a 2001 Deuce, never had a problem with it.

The bike in the pic. i have seen it a few times here in Phuket, sound great.

As for AMF, everybody want to forget about it, a company there bought HD to make quick moneyand bad bikes.

And there is a few there can fix a Harley in Pattaya, you will soon find them if you buy a Harley, just do it.......

By the way, dont even know if you stay in Pattaya

Edited by HDRIDER

Dave

No rubber mount on softail.

Reno, just take one.

FL 4-Speed Dresser

FLH 4-Speed Electra Glide

FLHR Road King

FLHRCI Road King Classic

FLHS Electra Glide Sport

FLHT Electra Glide Standard

FLHTC Electra Glide Classic

FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic

FLST Heritage Softail

FLSTC Heritage Softail Classic

FLSTF Fat Boy

FLSTN Nostalgia

FLSTS Heritage Springer Softail

FLT Rubber Mount Dresser

FLTC Rubber Mount Dresser Classic

FLTCU Rubber Mount Dresser Classic Ultra

FLTR Road Glide

FLTRI Road Glide w/ Genuine Access

FLTRSEI Screamin Eagle Road Glide

FX Superglide, Kickstart

FXB Sturgis Belt

FXD Dyna Super Glide

FXDG Dyna Glide/Sturgis

FXDL Dyna Low Rider

FXDS-CON Dyna Convertible

FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide

FXDX Dyna Super Glide Sport

FXDXT Super Glide "T" Sport

FXE Superglide Electric Start

FXEF Fatbob

FXLR FX Lower Rider/Evolution

FXR Rubber Mount Super Glide

FXRS FXR Sport

FXRS-CON FXR Sport Convertible

FXRS-SP Low Rider Sport Edition

FXRT FXR Touring

FXS Low Rider/Shovelhead

FXSB Lowrider Belt

FXST Softail

FXSTB Night Train

FXSTC Softail Custom

FXSTD Softail Deuce

FXSTS Springer Softail

FXWG Wide Glide

XL 4-Speed Sportster

XL883 Sportster Hugger

XL883C Sportster 883 Custom

XL1100 Sportster 1100

XL1200 Sportster 1200

XL1200C Sportster 1200 Custom

XL1200S Sportster 1200 Sport

XLCH 4-Speed Sportster, Kickstart

XLH 4-Speed Sportster, Electric Start

XLH883 883 Hugger

XLH1200 1200

XLH1200S Sport

XLS 4-Speed Sportster Roadster

XLX 4-Speed 1000cc Ironhead

XR1000 XLH with XLR Heads

Regardless of the Harley model number, it's still a Harley and that's why we love 'em!

Thanks Dave and HD, I live in Khao Yai but it is possible I will move close to pattaya next year, anyway I am looking at some sites and ads and have to time, in the meantime my phantom will do.

A friend of mine living nearby is also looking to buy one, he is considering to buy a bike in parts and assemble it here..don't know about taxes however..

rono

Dave

No rubber mount on softail.

I did not know that. :D

Thanks Dave and HD, I live in Khao Yai but it is possible I will move close to pattaya next year, anyway I am looking at some sites and ads and have to time, in the meantime my phantom will do.

A friend of mine living nearby is also looking to buy one, he is considering to buy a bike in parts and assemble it here..don't know about taxes however..

rono

There are service shops here in Pattaya and there are also qualified guys here that you can call out of work hours as it were. :o

we're actually planning to ride up to Khao Yai on around the 27th of this month, small group on harleys including the guy that built the green one in the pic.

Edited by davethailand

HD, are all those on your list for sale here second hand? Where?

There is a sportster 883 for sale here, 2004 and costs 270,000 baht, maybe with some bargaining down to 250,000 however they say its a girls bike :o

rono

That's a great price if it has a book. But I doubt it. Had a 97 1200 S Sporty and nothing stock left me at the red light. I wouldn't tell Sonny Barger the Pres. RIP? of HA it's a girls bike.

On a separate note I don't know what your looking to spent but I HIGHLY recommend this bike.

It really is dirt cheap for what it is, the parts and work thats gone into it is amazing.

I watched it being built from the start and have ridden along side it many times, its looks beautiful and go's and sounds brilliantly.-

custom Harley for sale.

Pics-

imgBjyfNY.jpg

imgef5jRW.jpg

You really need to see it in the flesh as it were. :o

I do not own this bike and have nothing to do with the sale of it I just love the thing and my friend built it! If i had the money it would be sitting outside mine now.

I saw this bike being ridden around Phuket.. I dont like Harleys and 'custom styled' big bikes.. But I have to say this one looked great.

A real classy job done on it and really impressed me, maybe exactly because he hadnt gone the standard black and chrome style.

The pics dont do it justice.

• 1 month later...