Service Charge And Tax At Coffee Shop.

siam-i-am

Went to rimping supermarket near mae jo yesterday. As usual called in to S&P for coffee and cake bill varies from one visit to another one of the group of 4 pays the bill and leaves 20 bhat tip. On this visit one of the party picked up the bill and noticed 10% service charge plus 7% tax. This is a coffee shop! Well thats my last visit. I supose it explains why their not very busy. :o

Edited by siam-i-am

Yep - what a scam.

If "siam-i-am" applys this to all businesses then very shortly there will be no where left to go except another country. Tax is one of the facts of life - yes to be avoided if at all possible but sometimes just pay, smile and try to enjoy life. Ahh but then how would you leave, tax is added to all flight and bus tickets !

Edited by SamSipEt

. . . As usual called in to S&P for coffee and cake bill varies from one visit to another one of the group of 4 pays the bill and leaves 20 bhat tip. On this visit one of the party picked up the bill and noticed 10% service charge plus 7% tax. This is a coffee shop! Well thats my last visit. . . .

Luckily you were able to stop while it was still someone else's treat! :o

At least the OP didn't have to pay the tax, the tip, or the bill!

OK, let's avoid all those places that charge tax, and all those vendors who are stupid enough to pay tax (and thus pass it on in the price of their goods and services). But if we don't pay any tax and don't go with those who do, let's not complain that the cop on the beat needs his 200 baht tip, and the ambulance service sucks, and the politicians are corrupt, and the schools are crap, and....

Reminds me of the chant the Texas Baptist girls chanted, "I don't smoke, and I don't chew, and I don't go with the boys who do." :D:o

thats absurd!

i however remember my dining times in Americanos where a total of 15% was billed as taxes and a further 15% was anticipated as tips. even had a USD$1 tip tossed back at my face in Boston cause it was not 15%. although the service was as shit as it can be.

if you think its not worth paying the taxes, may i recommend you find somewhere else. it's not like S&P carries products that you can't find anywhere else.

TB

I can't guarantee this, but, I have been told that it is actually illegal to add the tax on as an extra to the price. It is supposed to be part of the price that is advertised. The other problem is that almost no employers are giving the complete service charge to employees. They are either keeping the whole thing or using it as part of the salary to save themselves money that shoud go to the staff. :o

We ( a group of all Thais) been to S&P several times on Sathorn Rd. (close to The Ascott condomenium and the one of Tha Maharaj (near Thammasat U.) because of the convenient locations, not because of the good food or good pastries, nothing from S&P even come close to that.

Everytime when the bill came, someone in our group would took a quick look at the total, and then paid, plus extra 15% tip. We didn't know then that we had been doubled paid the tip.

Then one day I was picking up the tab, had a chance to look at every item, that when I found out we were taken an easy ride for quite a while.

I feel that some Thais don't want to question the tab, it might make them look cheap.

For me it's just exercise my consumer's rights.

I feel that some Thais don't want to question the tab, it might make them look cheap.

My experience over the many years I've lived here, is that most Thai's will spend several minutes scrutinising the bill before paying (I do realise you said 'some' Thais) and it's the foreigners who lose face.

I've been boycotting S&P for a while now, after twice getting slow service, bad food and overpriced with tax and service charge.

Another on my list of boycott restraurants is Black Canyon.

both establishments try to cater to both thai and falang tastes and never hit it off with either.

IMHO

My experience over the many years I've lived here, is that most Thai's will spend several minutes scrutinising the bill before paying (I do realise you said 'some' Thais) and it's the foreigners who lose face.

I see your point.

Maybe I should hang out with a different kind of group. Serously, all these group were old friends from school and univ.

It's interesting to say that, now I always insist on checking the items on the tab before paying the bill. So far found some mistakes like we didn't get the dishes (2 items) we ordered because the restaurant ran out, but the waiter forgot to cross out before the cashier rang up the tab. Another time at the very popular restaurant among Thais,

we order some cocktails before our dinner, unfortunately, I had to sent back my drink cos it was a wrong drink but the waiter forgot to bring me the new one, I waited through out the meal. :o At the end I had the waiter taking out from the total of my tab.

Only the people who take good care of me deserved my generous :D tips. They have to earn it.

At least the OP didn't have to pay the tax, the tip, or the bill!

OK, let's avoid all those places that charge tax, and all those vendors who are stupid enough to pay tax (and thus pass it on in the price of their goods and services). But if we don't pay any tax and don't go with those who do, let's not complain that the cop on the beat needs his 200 baht tip, and the ambulance service sucks, and the politicians are corrupt, and the schools are crap, and....

Reminds me of the chant the Texas Baptist girls chanted, "I don't smoke, and I don't chew, and I don't go with the boys who do." :D:o

As if this tax would go to improving what you suggest - dream on!!

I've been boycotting S&P for a while now, after twice getting slow service, bad food and overpriced with tax and service charge.

Another on my list of boycott restraurants is Black Canyon.

both establishments try to cater to both thai and falang tastes and never hit it off with either.

IMHO

Agree.

Slow and forgetful service :o:D ( imagine, spending times trying to catch your server's attention during the courses of your meal), bad food :D ( third rate raw materials at the first rate price) could turn the anticipate a pleasent night out :bah: into a nightmare. :D:D

I'm a regular at Black Canyon Changklan Rd and have no complaints. Food is good, service OK and no hidden charges. In fact I have a discount card and get a 10% discount every time I go. I pass this on directly as a tip to the staff.

SP - don't like their food, overpriced menu, plus that extra 17%. No thanks. SP has a very good image with Thais though and I think many go just to get face, especially at the Rimping branch at Meechot. Thai airways does the best pies, closely followed by kasems IMO

I eat at Black Canyon every now and then.

Their 'fusion' food is pretty decent, in particular the green curry with spaghetti, and phat kee mao with fusilli. Wifey swears by Black Canyon's strawberry smoothies too. It's true not everything on the menu is that great though.

I'm not a fan of S&P - on the two occasions I have tried them, one dish was not enough to feel full, and I felt the overall price was too high for what I got, plus their interior design is too much like a faceless fast food joint.

Thai airways does the best pies, closely followed by kasems IMO

In my experience with Pies here, the best place is Chalerm Resort at Kp #141 on the Doi Saket/ Chiang Rai road. I have been a regular visitor more than 20 years and I really enjoy their Western style pies. Oh, they have food, too. :o

The second best place is the Chalerm Resort's place at the Airport Plaza. They make their own pies...

Pies in US and UK speak have different meanings. I know Charlerm's (next to a river) and the pies are bloody delicious, great with coffee. The pies at Kasem's and Thai Airways are of the Brit variety and therefore are stuffed with stodge and best with HP sauce.

I see your point.

Maybe I should hang out with a different kind of group. Serously, all these group were old friends from school and univ.

It's interesting to say that, now I always insist on checking the items on the tab before paying the bill. So far found some mistakes like we didn't get the dishes (2 items) we ordered because the restaurant ran out, but the waiter forgot to cross out before the cashier rang up the tab. Another time at the very popular restaurant among Thais,

we order some cocktails before our dinner, unfortunately, I had to sent back my drink cos it was a wrong drink but the waiter forgot to bring me the new one, I waited through out the meal. :o At the end I had the waiter taking out from the total of my tab.

Only the people who take good care of me deserved my generous :D tips. They have to earn it.

Hi Tinkell. Flat here!

Not only do I welcome you and FAR more Thais posting here, especially with your excellent English, I applaud your attitude on this subject.

YOU are correct. Please encourage your Thai friends to FOLLOW your policy and, maybe very long term, all Thai customers and ultimately good Thai restaurants will thank you? Or, should!!

I have to say S&P is used to be a very reasonable place to go and enjoy Thai (sorta farang's taste) meals but lately, for the past couple of years it has gone up to be very tourists/hi-commerce restuarant. Tax and service charge are ridiculous compare to food and service. My regular spots were Thong lor and Central Ladprao Mall. Service suck. They served like this was not Thailand but expected hella tips from us. No more S&P for me ever since. There are plenty of good food and service which I'll be more happy to spend with them.

A few thai dishes are quite good, but I go there for the iced coffee drinks! :o

Yes, the ice coffee there at BC ain't bad price and taste wise.

S&P bakery isn't that bad. But I'm still stand on my point that S&P service sucks!

I think the thread origin was partly about why the charge came in. I am not sure exactly but think that once a business passes a certain turnover, and maybe other criteria the tax has to be applied. I am not sure if the business has any discretion, possibly not. It seems that the service charge element is usually added at the same time, presumably that part is discretionary but again not sure - could be linked to tax authorities rules around taxing tips and service charges.

Agree with all said about S&P however - but the power of branding McDonald style will probably ensure their continued growth...sadly!

I think the thread origin was partly about why the charge came in. I am not sure exactly but think that once a business passes a certain turnover, and maybe other criteria the tax has to be applied. I am not sure if the business has any discretion, possibly not. It seems that the service charge element is usually added at the same time, presumably that part is discretionary but again not sure - could be linked to tax authorities rules around taxing tips and service charges.

Agree with all said about S&P however - but the power of branding McDonald style will probably ensure their continued growth...sadly!

This is all wrong. There is no point at which a business has to add on tax and service charge and seeing as you brought up McDonalds, there is your proof. They sell more than anyone else and have added neither.

Adding tax and service charge to prices was a scam thought up by greedy hotel owners and now a lot of other businesses are copying it! :o

This is all wrong. There is no point at which a business has to add on tax and service charge and seeing as you brought up McDonalds, there is your proof. They sell more than anyone else and have added neither.

Adding tax and service charge to prices was a scam thought up by greedy hotel owners and now a lot of other businesses are copying it! :o

My sentiments exactly, if a coffee is priced at 50bhat on the menu then they add 10% service plus 7% tax, that's as good as 59bhat. The reason they don't put 59bhat on the menu in the first place is deceit pure and simple.

I see your point.

Only the people who take good care of me deserved my generous :bah: tips. They have to earn it.

Hi Tinkell. Flat here!

Not only do I welcome you and FAR more Thais posting here, especially with your excellent English, I applaud your attitude on this subject.

YOU are correct. Please encourage your Thai friends to FOLLOW your policy and, maybe very long term, all Thai customers and ultimately good Thai restaurants will thank you? Or, should!!

Hello Flat,

Thanks for a nice post. Your kind words came at the right timing - it's holidays seasons. :D

As you know most Thais (talking about people I have met ) are not that aggresive. They like to keep things or situations quietly, hoping that the matter will eventually go away. Mai-pen-rai is their favorite phrase.

These are my childhood friends, little by little I'm trying to prove to them that there are many ways to handle the situations by speaking up in a solf low voice in a nice way. What they usually do is keeping quiet, pay the tab and walk away feeling boiling mad. :D:D

Merry Christmas, :D:bah: Flat

These are my long time childhood friends.