Probability To Find A Job !?

Hi all !!

I am visiting this forum very often, but now I decided to join your community because I really want to ask a question:

WHAT DO YOU THINK ... IS THERE A HIGH PROBABILITY TO FIND A JOB IN THAILAND WITHIN 6 MONTHS?

I am a 25-year-old German man, no university, but commercial education ...

And I am prepared to work for 20,000 Baht per month.

Looking forward to receiving your replies.

Edited by bubu

Although native speakers are preferred it is still possible to get a job as an English Teacher without this.

Cold Calling financial sales appointment makers - plenty of English speaking ones - maybe German companies?

What other experience and skills do you have that Thailand wants and Thai's can not do?

Why not just try and get a job in something highly paid but with lots of time off like the oil and gas industry which is booming now and earn lots for half the year and party hard on much more than 20k THB a month the rest

20K a month you are subsisting not living!

Although native speakers are preferred it is still possible to get a job as an English Teacher without this.

Cold Calling financial sales appointment makers - plenty of English speaking ones - maybe German companies?

What other experience and skills do you have that Thailand wants and Thai's can not do?

Why not just try and get a job in something highly paid but with lots of time off like the oil and gas industry which is booming now and earn lots for half the year and party hard on much more than 20k THB a month the rest

20K a month you are subsisting not living!

20 K a month is mostly not legal (but teaching), as german I believe the minimum salary is 40 K a month.Even here (depending of your housing mostly and distance home-work place) it can be hard to reach the end of the month.

Cold calling can be the way, I know people doing that in office earning 60/80 K a month. The key being to find a company that work only with abroad base customers , located in Bkk for cost (still cheaper to pay a good commercial 80 K than to have him in E.U).

By experience, let say you must discard any job proposition below 40 K. The reason being you will not get the documentation (WP, Non B ....), run in problem at one moment or another, nor be cover by the local laws.

Employment can be difficult to find, on the other hand you still can create your own. There is still niches waiting you, if you have the right idea, the gutts and not spend your energy in the bars on a daily basis. More or less, all SME based here with foreign capital are in need of foreign commercials (all want to expand in EU or USA), all will depend if you are able or not to sell yourself and your competences to them.

My 2 cents

Why?

Because I really want to live in Thailand.

And I am sure it is much easier to find a job with 20.000 payment,

than a job with 40.000 ....

Most jobs expect bachelor degree ... and I don't have bachelor.

That means I have to accept everything that I could get.

Why?

And I am sure it is much easier to find a job with 20.000 payment,

than a job with 40.000 ....

Most jobs expect bachelor degree ... and I don't have bachelor.

That means I have to accept everything that I could get.

Not wanting to sound harsh but just because you really want to live in vThailand is not enough is it?

Very many Africans and Asians want to live in the UK, USA and even Germany but they just can not because they choose to even if they would accept wages below the norm.

I know many highly qualified, experienced peole who would love to live in Thailand but they can not get positions - no demand or wages too low - why work for a paper boy's salary when you can earn good money elsewhere and use part of it to fund a healthy lifestyle during visits to Thailand.

Not wanting to put you off - I once had impluses like you too (still do daft things) but plan a bit ahead - better to come in 5-10 years and stay forever if you want than to go home burned out and potless in a year!

Hi all !!

I am visiting this forum very often, but now I decided to join your community because I really want to ask a question:

WHAT DO YOU THINK ... IS THERE A HIGH PROBABILITY TO FIND A JOB IN THAILAND WITHIN 6 MONTHS?

Why not note your job skills in the jobs, HIRE ME section above, you never know your luck.

Why?

Not wanting to sound harsh but just because you really want to live in vThailand is not enough is it?

Not wanting to put you off - I once had impluses like you too (still do daft things) but plan a bit ahead - better to come in 5-10 years and stay forever if you want than to go home burned out and potless in a year!

Prakanong is exactly right. It's NOT enough. Listen to the voice of reason and common sense.

It is just foolish to think of coming to live in Thailand on 20,000/mo. No sort of desperation could make it worthwhile. You ALWAYS have the possibility of security and a future back home, and you have access to all the social services for which your taxes have paid. Save and invest and someday you can come over to live with a modicum of comfort.

You cannot live like a Thai and you wouldn't want to if you could. Besides, Immigration will harass you to death anyway. No farangs are particularly welcomed by the government here--but especially not poor farangs. It's gotten much more hostile in the past few years. Doubtless the trend will continue.

Don't find this out the hard way after you've thrown away whatever hope and goods you have back in Germany and it becomes difficult to go back.

If you really want to live in Thailand, you´d better start to do a research about the country you really want to live in .

Then you´ll find out what´s possible and what´s not. You´re still young, go and get education, skills and knowledge that is required in LOS. Soon it´s 2008 and you already found out about that Internet-thing. It is possible but it´s not easy. Do the research and find out. And I´d start to work on my English if I´d wish to work in an international environment.

Is she very beautiful ? :o ( Why do most of these threads come up in high-season?)

Hmmm ... why do you think that I want to live with comfort?

I am just back from my 5-weeks-trip ...

I stayed in Thailand three months this year.

Next trip is in 6 weeks ... that trip will last 10 weeks.

And I am sure I can/want to live like a Thai.

There are so many Thais earning less than 20.000, but they have a nice life.

Maybe a life without "western luxury", but who needs western luxury?

But the Thai's have access to medical care that you do not and would have to pay for.

Many Thai's have very strong family groups is their safety net in the way the welfare state is in the west.

You will not be legal on 20K a month

Are you projecting your own idealised fantasies on to these "noble" peasants being happy with their lot? - I can assure you they would all love to have more and not to have a subsistence living if thats what they have now.

Nothing we tell you here will put you off I can see - never mind so give it a go. Try to leave at least your fare home with a trusted family member back in Germany so you can at least get home if it all goes tits up.

I do understand your desire and how you feel. I even once considered English teaching, buying a bar or doing a Thai Studies MSc to try and stay there. I even worked in my own field for a while in Thailand at a pay cut from European rates (I was getting 10K - 15k THB a day still though)

In the end I went home - got myself back on the consulting/contracting round in IT - now back in Asia (Singapore) with a major MNC as a regional IT Manager in one of their divisions. I could have had this position moved to Thailand but now know just to be in Thailand is not the be all and end all - there is more out there in Asia

As I said - I do not want to put you off too much but really 20k is not enough - maybe out in the sticks for a year to experience it but not long term. Look at getting experience and skills that will let you earn a western wage in Thailland - it can be done you know. I only went to Uni at 25 after leaving school with no qualifications at 16 to go down the coal mine.

Good luck and enjoy your holidays there - as you know it can be bloody brilliant

You can't advise some people. He says 20k will be enough and he's not responding to posters' comments about the legality of that. Let him do what he wants. We can have a sweepstake about when he become's Thailand's youngest Pattaya Flyer.

Hi all !!

You won't be allowed to stay in Thailand on 20k per month. You would need to hide out somewhere as an illegal immigrant.

If you're looking to stay as a farmer in the countryside, perhaps you should try Cambodia instead? Much easier to stay without visa there.

Serious advice:

As your material requirements are low, why don't you work your butt off in Germany and live like a dog, save up as much cash as possible and go to Thailand for long holidays instead? You would end up working much less...

If you can't be bothered to sweat it in Germany, there is no way in h*ll that you will enjoy working (illegally) on a construction site or in a factory in Thailand.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes...

nm

"Western Luxury". Most westerners want western luxury.

"There are so many Thais earning less than 20.000, but they have a nice life.

Maybe a life without "western luxury", but who needs western luxury?"

I'm sure you must be disappointed to see so many posts advising you not to get into the situation you seek, but they're right.

If you really think about it, Thais generally pay less for things than farang do. Dual pricing is real and is encountered every day, so don't think you'll find the same deals that the Thais get.

At 20,000 a month, you won't be able to live in a city -- the rent will be higher than you can afford (If you do live in a place like Pattaya or Bangkok, all your earnings will all go toward just keeping a roof over your head and (hopefully) a bit of cheap food on your plate.) You've been coming here on holidays and having a great time, I assume (which probably means spending some cash in the bars and other places). That would not be the situation at 20,000 a month because you couldn't afford to pee in a pot.

Good luck with whatever you decide, though.

I am a 25-year-old German man, no university, but commercial educaton

I'm 34-year-old Italian man, still no university (i have just started a 3 years business economics night course after job) but commercial experience (7+ years) ....

First of all living in europe has become more difficult, a middle income of 1-2k euro is becoming not enough to plan a future, so i understand this desire of risking abroad (it happened the same during and after the ww2, now the war is ruled from the MARKET).

I know a lot of italians that live in Thailand from years and they live quite well (they spent their savings to start small businesses: mainly around restaurants).

But i know young men too that live with internet instruments only. And THIS is your opportunity i think.

To obtain a one year visa you can start subscribing to the thaiwalen.com school in Bangkok (29500 baht), you will obtain 2 goals: visa for 1 year and learning thai language. Then you need little incomes, i suggest you to live near the Pantip, you could test products to sell on ebay, it can take you 2-3 hours/day, but it can give you a middle income of 500 eu/month. Look for a cheap room with adsl or wireless.

A lot of tourism firms like agoda.com look for native language for their call center (but only if you live in bangkok, they don't reply if you don't live in thailand), a friend of mine works for 80.000 baht/month.

So if you are well organized and you have a little saving for the first six months (5-10k euro) you can try, in the worst case you can come back to your western life and try again later.

Good luck!!! :o

Edited by bolognamare

This thread is amusing :D

Of course you can live well off ฿20,000 per month.

As an example, there are very decent condo in Changklan Residence in Chiang Mai for ฿6,000 per month. You can eat rice, noodles at the food stalls or stuff at the 7/11 that will cost you around ฿50 per meal with a soft drink. Your electricity/water bill will be under ฿1,000 per month if you don't use the A/C too much (it's freezing in Chiang Mai now anyways).

Finding a job legally will be challenging, but i guess it's feasible. Maybe you can check with the Board of Investment regional office in the city you'll be living, and find out if there are any companies that are exporting to Germany or deal with German companies. These companies can issue work permits to foreigner easily, and might be interested in getting someone fluent in german to assist with their suppliers/customers. <- Just a wild idea.

A friend of mine, who just turned 27, lives with his Thai girlfriend on a budget of ~฿15,000 per month. They have a nice shop-house with AC (2 floors) for ฿4,000 per month - with all the commodities nearby. It all depends of what you are after, it's an experience for sure!

Don't let the old folks here scare you away, they just don't like it when their young thai wives/girl-friend see young attractive farangs and go "Oh snap! I could have gotten that!!" :o

Edited by kudroz
  • Like 1

How the hel_l to live on 20K per month. My Thai manager earns that and even he cant live realistically when it comes to paying for cellphones, air con bills, car insurance, car/motorbike servicing, public transport, dental bills, medical bills, medical insurance, trips home once in a while, girlfriends if and when, rent, beer if and when you want it, clothing, meals (and you will want a western meal once in a while). When you have been here a while a young guy like you will need to start about investment, planning for the future, paying for kids etc etc.

Think abut it. For 6 weeks 20K a month is doable. My outgoings are approaching 10 times that i i dont live extravagantly. I certainly dont have a Mercedes parked in the garage!

฿6,000 - 1 Bedroom Condo Rent

฿1,000 - Electricity/Water Bill

฿6,000 - Food

฿500 - Internet

฿1,500 - Health Insurance (Thai coverage)

฿5,000 - Misc Expenses

Total: ฿20,000 Per month

It's tight, but definitely doable. Long term? To each his own I guess :o

฿6,000 - Food

฿500 - Internet

฿5,000 - Misc Expenses

I would cut off half of the food budget and get one or two bottles Mekhong a day as you might want to have some entertainment while sitting in the box all day. A young body can take that for a few years.

Anyway if you have a roundturn ticket go and find out.

How the hel_l to live on 20K per month. My Thai manager earns that and even he cant live realistically when it comes to paying for cellphones, air con bills, car insurance, car/motorbike servicing, public transport, dental bills, medical bills, medical insurance, trips home once in a while, girlfriends if and when, rent, beer if and when you want it, clothing, meals (and you will want a western meal once in a while). When you have been here a while a young guy like you will need to start about investment, planning for the future, paying for kids etc etc.

Think abut it. For 6 weeks 20K a month is doable. My outgoings are approaching 10 times that i i dont live extravagantly. I certainly dont have a Mercedes parked in the garage!

Dont live extravagently on 200k per month - explain

฿6,000 - Food

฿500 - Internet

฿5,000 - Misc Expenses

And you are naked. Yep, no clothing budget!

In more ways than one. This above isn't realistic at all. Gotta include the computer, the restaurants, the TV, the furnishings, the girlfriend, the transportation (esp. car and/or motorbike), the splurges, the health bill that the little Thai insurance policy doesn't cover, immigration costs . . . just a million things that Misc can't include.

Edited by JSixpack

฿6,000 - Food

฿500 - Internet

฿5,000 - Misc Expenses

I will live with a friend in Bangkok ... that means nice condo for 5,000 ... including water, electricity, laundry, wireless internet ... health insurance is 1500 ...

So many Thai people earn less than 20,000 and they can survive.

Why should it be impossible for Farangs to survive with 20,000 or 25,000 ??

I think the problem is that most Farangs can not change their life; they are trying to live the same life as they do at "home" ...

Edited by bubu
  • Like 1

฿6,000 - Food

฿500 - Internet

฿5,000 - Misc Expenses

I will live with a friend in Bangkok ... that means nice condo for 5,000 ... including water, electricity, laundry, wireless internet ... health insurance is 1500 ...

So many Thai people earn less than 20,000 and they can survive.

Why should it be impossible for Farangs to survive with 20,000 or 25,000 ??

I think the problem is that most Farangs can not change their life; they are trying to live the same life as they do at "home" ...

That's partly the reason, the other reason is Thais can't cope as well with being alone and single, they tend to live with the family in groups and go out in big groups and operate as a family unit.

This is what tends to keep the costs down for the thais.

Again and again, the OP totally ignores the work permit issue. It's almost as if he believes the laws don't apply to him because he's white.

Oh well . . he can get his 20k a month job and live the way he wants to live, and then see what happens in a year or two's time.

I wish him well, but let's face it - we all know the end of the story, don't we?

Hi all !!

the problem is not to find a job for the money you are willing to work for but to obtain a work permit.

the problem is not to find a job for the money you are willing to work for but to obtain a work permit.

but it's very difficult (if not impossible) to find a firm from abroad, it's necessary to look directly in thailand, nobody offers job if u don't live around and a lot of opportunities are hidden if you don't experience the place where you want to live, being in the right place at the right time is difficult from another country.. 2-3 months (and more) looking for job is reasonable and i'm sure that a middle income of 50000 baht (and better) is not so hard to find..

A friend of mine came in Italy last summer (he is a canadian engineer, he worked longly in china for big firms), he thought to find a good job after few days, of course after 2 weeks he failed because these things require time and a lot of patience, first to come i suggested him to come alone and to rent a flat and after apply for interviews with the main websites and recruitment firms (employers in my country don't trust people without a residence). He didn't he came with his wife and he lived in a hotel in the worst time (summer when firms are closing). It proves that a degree+high job skills cannot be enough to plan a decent career abroad.