Search Is On For Baby Killing Monkey

sriracha john

Search for baby-killer monkey

A female monkey that bit a two-month-old baby to death was still on the run yesterday. Officials from agencies and foundations searched bushes in Samut Sakhon's Krathum Baen district where the monkey was briefly sighted.

"We are trying to catch it as soon as possible to reduce local people's worry," said Siriwat Paowongsa, head of the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department's wildlife protection division.

Siriwat said people had described the monkey as "rather fierce". He had received a report that the monkey once attacked a worker at a scrap shop where it was raised.

The monkey had been kept at the shop for years but it went missing about a week ago. On Thursday, it bit Pongnarin Iamsamang while he was lying unattended in a cradle. Sustaining serious wounds to his head, he died from his injuries at Srivichai 3 Hospital later in the day.

Pongnarin's cremation took place yesterday. His mother, Noojan Pangrad, was advised to hold the cremation right away because she did not have the money for a funeral service.

The monkey's owner, Ruchakorn Tipnet, yesterday gave Noojan Bt10,000 towards the cost of the cremation. Noojan owes more than Bt50,000 to the hospital for the treatment given to her baby.

Krathum Baen Police Station inspector Lt-Colonel Pramote Aksornphan said Ruchakorn would face criminal and civil charges.

- The Nation

From WikiHow...

How to Prevent or Survive a Monkey Attack

Whether in the remote forests of Bali or in the backyard of some exotic animal dealer, you may encounter a monkey. To avoid bodily injury to yourself or to the monkey, read on for tips on how to protect yourself from any "unwanted" contact.

Steps

Learn that whatever the situation is, never heckle a monkey. They have feelings and get irritated, and they are very instinctive. So if you piss off a monkey it will bite, scratch or inflict other bodily harm upon you.

Take proper precautions, depending on the situation. Look around and think to yourself, "Is the monkey in a secure enclosure?" If not, "Is there a place where I can secure myself if the monkey were to attack?"

Avoid operations where monkeys are on leashes or tied to trees.

Recognize that even if the monkey is in a cage or enclosure, you need to stay a distance away from the cage. Do not put your hands on the cage, either. Just watch from a distance.

If you are in a situation where the monkey is not in a cage, you're playing a whole different ball game. Again think, "Is the monkey loose?" "On a chain or rope?" "Within grabbing distance?" If the situation seems safe, proceed to the next step.

Step back and look at yourself. Do you have food, shiny jewelery, glasses, children or toys with you? If so, you should remove those items or yourself from the situation. Monkeys are attracted things that shine, smell good and make noise, so be aware of what you may be dangling in front of their faces.

Stay calm in the unfortunate and unlikely event that you are attacked. If the monkey charges you, don't fight back. The monkey can run, jump and climb better that you. Find something to get in between you and the monkey--a garbage can lid, a car or a steel door, anything you have that works.

Protect yourself by barricading yourself somewhere--a bathroom or building of some sort, your car. Anything safe and secure should be fine. Unless you've really pissed off the monkey, it should lose interest within minutes and go away.

Notify the owner first and then animal control, but only if absolutely necessary.

Never get within the monkey's reach.

Many monkeys roam wild but are frequently in contact with humans. Monkeys like these are frequently taunted by children throwing stones and other objects at them. A good tactic for scaring away a monkey is to pretend to throw something at them or to carry a couple of small rocks to throw at the ground near the monkey's feet. Never throw the stone directly at the monkey unless you are in serious danger.

Tips

Be careful of piercings. Enough said.

Never, ever show your teeth. To a monkey, a big toothy grin means a challenge. He will definitely attack you.

Keep your distance. It takes a long time for a monkey to trust you enough to let you get close--several weeks to months. Unless you are in a controlled situation, do not go near the monkey.

Do not underestimate a monkey's strength. They are stronger that you think.

Be the bigger primate. Don't yell, scream or sing to the monkey. Being aggressive will only get you attacked. You are the human, you have the frontal cortex, you can differentiate between right and wrong. So don't act like an idiot.

Long hair is dangerous. Tie it back or put it up when around monkeys.

Use common sense and be safe!

Warnings

Monkeys are animals; they are dangerous and unpredictable.

Certain monkeys, when in groups, defend and attack together, so don't go out drunk wanting to pick a fight with a band of monkeys because they will probably win.

I'm very sorry to hear about this poor little boy. My condolences to the family.

The last quote from the article stood out for me:

"Warnings

Monkeys are animals; they are dangerous and unpredictable.

Certain monkeys, when in groups, defend and attack together, so don't go out drunk wanting to pick a fight with a band of monkeys because they will probably win."

:D Who goes out to pick a fight with a band of monkeys? They are like a bunch of delinquents or sociopaths, as intelligent as humans but less civilized. I hae friends that have traveled throughout India who have loads of funny monkey stories. They are like petty criminals, and do everything from minor shakedowns of people with food to very organized group heists. They get on the train in India to travel to different cities and then get back on to RETURN to the city they're from. I think they will organize their own political party soon.

:o

Anyone have their own noteworthy stories about monkeys?

Monkeys are unbelievably strong and quick! A 10 pounder is more than a match for a 6' tall man. 25 years ago I was feeding one through the bars of its cage at a zoo here in Thailand and I guess it got tired of getting one peanut at a time. It grabbed my arm and pulled it slamming my body against the bars then liberated the bag of nuts from me and turned me loose then calmly sat down and ate them. I weigh 100 kilos and am not weak by any standards.

In Mombassa, Kenya last january my mother was taking a siesta in her room and a monkey ran in and stole her banana!! She threw a shoe at it. The guys that worked at the hotel called the monkeys banditos. and warned everyone to lock all windows and doors. At around sundown we would gather to have a drink and the monkeys would sit about 5 meters away from us, we sat and stared at them and they sat and stared at us. The males had blue balls.

In Mombassa, Kenya last january my mother was taking a siesta in her room and a monkey ran in and stole her banana!! She threw a shoe at it. The guys that worked at the hotel called the monkeys banditos. and warned everyone to lock all windows and doors. At around sundown we would gather to have a drink and the monkeys would sit about 5 meters away from us, we sat and stared at them and they sat and stared at us. The males had blue balls.

My mind reels with responses to this!

I am confident other Posters will be less reluctant to comment publicly :o .

Patrick

I have been suffering with the same problem since the weather has turned very cold up here in Chiang Mai.

When will people learn that many species of exotic animals are not suitable to be kept as pets?

These animals require specilised care by keepers that should know what they are doing, if they must for reasons I cant understand, keep these wonderful creatures in captivity.

Tragic of course for the child and family, but sad for the poor monkey that had to be destroyed through no fault on it`s part.

Edited by distortedlink

Monkeys are unbelievably strong and quick! A 10 pounder is more than a match for a 6' tall man. 25 years ago I was feeding one through the bars of its cage at a zoo here in Thailand and I guess it got tired of getting one peanut at a time. It grabbed my arm and pulled it slamming my body against the bars then liberated the bag of nuts from me and turned me loose then calmly sat down and ate them. I weigh 100 kilos and am not weak by any standards.

:D

Yep, they are unbelievably powerful pound-for-pound. Had same sort of scenario several years ago at a place I was staying in the south of Thailand. Thought I was pretty good friends with the monkey as I could go up to the cage and stroke him without him attacking me ... apparently, only the owner could do that. Anyway, was giving him some tomato while sitting down eating breakfast (table closest to monkey cage) and he pretended he couldn't reach and got me to stretch. I was right on the edge of my chair at the time. He then grabbed the tomato with one hand and pulled me off the chair with the other lightning fast, much to the amusement of everyone in the restaurant. Little bugger :o

Anyway, after that, I found out that the same monkey had snatched someone's passport out of their shirt pocket and ate it while they were getting ready to go to the airport. :D

Couple years ago, was feeding nuts to some monkeys and like a pratt I put my boy on the ground. There was a female there with her little babby on her chest and the boy went to pat it (didn't see this), so the female bit his arm... little b*tch :D Only a nip but so fast.

Not a major story. But we stopped at Khao Sammuk, near Bangsaen ,once and were throwing food to the monkeys. Our little nephew decided to hand a banana in person, but when the monkey came close, withdrew the hand. The monkey, of course, bared its teeth and young nephew quickly dropped the banana. Never let kids get too close.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

To lend a bit of specificity as to their strength:

"Because of their dense bones and muscle tissue, chimpanzees’ upper body strength is 8-10 times stronger than that of humans (Rowe,1996)..."

"In tests with a dynamometer (a scale that measures the mechanical force of a

pull on a spring), a female chimp, weighing a mere 135 pounds, checked in with a

one-handed pull of 1,260 pounds while a 165-pound man, by comparison, could manage a one-handed pull of about 210 pounds."

"In dead lifts, chimps have been known to manage weights of 600 pounds with ease."

- Google answers

Edited by sriracha john

Read somewhere once that an average Silver Back is twice as strong as the world's strongest man and six times stronger than an average bloke. Not just the strength, though, it's the speed to go with it. Don't <deleted> with the apes :o

Captive Monkey kills Baby, who is to blame?

Bangkok, 15 December 2007

The recent killing of a human baby by a captive monkey unfortunately illustrates again that keeping a wild animal a pet is in principal a dangerous matter. The pig-tailed macaque that was held as a pet escaped from its leech on December 5th and although the owner tried to catch the monkey and asked for help from the Department of National Parks and Wildlife they were not able to get a hold on it. Subsequently the macaque killed a two month old baby on the thirteenth of December. The monkey was shot dead the next day.

Besides the fact that the owner of the monkey is in principal guilty of any damage done by the macaque, it does occur to us that some blame is to be with the Department of National Parks and Wildlife (DNP) for not enforcing the wildlife preservation act that stipulates that no one is allowed to hunt, transport or keep endangered wildlife. All macaque species are subject to this law that was issued in 1992. Around Thailand we find wild animals as pets with private citizen and small businesses, some for personal satisfaction, some to attract customers or tourists, but in almost all cases hunted from the wild. A survey in 2006 by the Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand (WFFT) suggests that over 4,000 primates (Monkeys and gibbons) alone are being illegally kept as "pets" over the country. The WFFT has send over 40 complaints and reports on this issue to the DNP over the last 18 months and has yet to receive the first reply form the authorities, while no legal action was taken. Another tragedy is about to happen again if the status quo remains unchanged.

The DNP has numerous times forbidden any NGO to rescue, help or care for captive wildlife however lacks the motivation and/or expertise to deal effectively with the matter themselves. Recently a juvenile bear that was rescued from a temple in Cha-am Petchaburi by forestry officials, escaped only days later from a sub-standard cage at the government facility and has been roaming a community forest near Hua-hin for over a month, scaring local villagers. Offers by the WFFT Wildlife rescue Team to help locate and catch the bear to move it elsewhere have not been accepted, it will probably be shot dead, paying with its life for the incompetence of one person.

Since the story on the killed baby broke the news the WFFT has received several calls from wildlife pet owners that want to give up their monkey to the foundation. One family drove up without even calling in advance and handed over a pig-tailed macaque expressing fear of a similar attack, the monkey was refused at a government facility ass they were supposedly full..

Edwin Wiek

Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand

www.wfft.org

Read somewhere once that an average Silver Back is twice as strong as the world's strongest man and six times stronger than an average bloke. Not just the strength, though, it's the speed to go with it. Don't <deleted> with the apes :D

We never really stood a chance in the original "Planet Of The Apes" even with NRA chairperson and Ben Hur charioteer Charlton Heston representing us... scary. :o

Read somewhere once that an average Silver Back is twice as strong as the world's strongest man and six times stronger than an average bloke. Not just the strength, though, it's the speed to go with it. Don't <deleted> with the apes :D

And that's just an average Silver Back. Imagine the world's strongest SB! Make Geoff Capes et al look like the Vienna Boy's Choir :o

We never really stood a chance in the original "Planet Of The Apes" even with NRA chairperson and Ben Hur charioteer Charlton Heston representing us... scary. :D

"Get yer filthy paws off of me!"

But, yeah, in all seriousness, keep the kids away from even the cutest looking monkey, because they'll sink their teeth in for the smallest thing. My boy had to have a set of 5 jabs after his incident. Imagine what the little un looked like after being attacked by that pig-tailed macaque!