Try Saying Something

tgeezer

Every time I put anything in this forum it never gets a rise. If anyone is interested in conversation I would like to start; my last attempt. I don't need Mary Hass says this. I googled it, etc how do you get on in the street? Yes I know it will be awful Thai, and everyone is at a different level but I think it would be good to share knowledge and experience. I tried once to write to a Thai correspondent here and it was a disaster, above my level, I tried to reply to a post with some conversation, no one criticised, how the f.. am I supposed to get anything out of this. The Kymer language may be of absorbing interest to some but not many Thais I mix with, same can be said of grammer. Thai writing may be interesting but on the street only any good for menues road signs etc. are you looking at dictionaries at the bus-stop? It may be that this forum is for a higher level of Thai where isolated words are discussed out of context and their relevence to the influence of Kymer or Sandskrit bla bla. in which case there should be one on practical Thai. It has just dawned on me as I imagine the response I will get that I may be on the wrong forum so does anyone know the right forum for this sort of thing?

eg. wan ni meua deun ma tung sa way nam mi ubatihate tang deun my riap mi bo lek lek u pom go(ก็) sadud lom hua kow baat plee ko mi pa pit plee my.

Now what I expect is criticism. Maybe people feel that unless you know the person you are speaking to you would probably only ask for a plaster, and maybe explain later, some of the expressions are wrong the words backwards could be better. I know it is understandable to me but I am English. Is any one interested? Frustrated from Filey.

Just a suggestion.

Long sentences/passages should be in Thai script with a reasonably sized font for readability. Anything else (especially a romanization scheme without tone indicators) is just too painful to wade through. Reminds me of the Lorem Ipsem placeholder text used by publishers..

I am not sure what you are asking.Are you interested in everyday conversation of Thai or the example you wrote corrected into proper Thai?I may be able to help as I live not far from Filey.

วันนี้เมื่อเดินมาถึงสระว่ายน้ำ / wan ni meua deun ma tung sa way nam /

มีอุบัติเหตุทางเดินไม่เรียบ / mi ubatihate tang deun my riap /

มีบ่อเล็กๆอยู่ /mi bo lek lek u /

ผมก็สะดุดล้ม / pom go(ก็) sadud lom /

หัวเข่าบาดแผล /hua kow baat plee / should be หัวเข่ามีบาดแผล / hua kow mee baat plae /

ขอมีผ้าปิดแผลไหม /ko mi pa pit plee my / should be ขอผ้าปิดแผลได้ไหม / ko pa pit plae dai mai /

I am not sure what you are asking.Are you interested in everyday conversation of Thai or the example you wrote corrected into proper Thai?I may be able to help as I live not far from Filey.

หัวเข่าบาดแผล /hua kow baat plee / should be หัวเข่ามีบาดแผล / hua kow mee baat plae /

ขอมีผ้าปิดแผลไหม /ko mi pa pit plee my / should be ขอผ้าปิดแผลได้ไหม / ko pa pit plae dai mai /

Absolutely right and without any problem with my romanized copy, which I take to mean that we are at a similar stage of development. So maybe we could have a meeting of minds. Would yo นr anyone else care to make a critique? ผมเขียนได้แต่ช้าเกินไปเพราะยังไม่ชิน

Just a suggestion.

Long sentences/passages should be in Thai script with a reasonably sized font for readability. Anything else (especially a romanization scheme without tone indicators) is just too painful to wade through. Reminds me of the Lorem Ipsem placeholder text used by publishers..

So, I'll take that as a 'no' shall I ? I don't want to have to 'Google' Lorem Ipsem.

Sorry I didn't answer your question, I am interested in all aspects of Thai but principally in this case conversation and discussions of same, such as; I wouldn't put it that way but... Are you not very far from Filey now?

Sorry I didn't answer your question, I am interested in all aspects of Thai but principally in this case conversation and discussions of same, such as; I wouldn't put it that way but... Are you not very far from Filey now?

tgeezer, i don't believe you'd have any problems being understood with what you said. if you want to expand on this a bit, you could try linking it up better.

eg. today WHILE i was walking to the pool i had an accident BECAUSE OF the uneven footpath. i tripped over a small pothole, RESULTING IN this cut on my knee etc etc.

i know that thais don't always speak in complete sentences but they can if they need to, so it could be good practise.

all the best.

ps. เมื่่อเดินมาถึง means "as i arrived at", i'm not sure whether you meant this or "while i was walking" ตอนที่ผมเดิน/ขณะที่ผมเดิน

"up the ante" เกเพิ่ม gae-perm.

เก sounds identical to another word เกย์, although the meanings are different.

เกย์ gay, is from the English word gay and has the same meaning. Also homosexual.

เก๋ gae, high sound, and rhyme with เห hae.

This possibly comes from the English word gay also. But the meaning was from the English usage of the previous generation, which meant cute. Example: เธอแต่งตัวเก๋ Her dress is gay, as merry, expressive, cute.