Train Trip Singapore To Bangkok

brianw

Is there anyone out there who could do me a great service by planning a trip for me ( a bit of a novice on internet) Next march I hope to travel to singapore by train from bangkok. I want to travel 1st class i.e sleepers where nescsary etc. and I would like the timings , where to change etc etc and cost and how to book. this is return trip thanks brian

Is there anyone out there who could do me a great service by planning a trip for me ( a bit of a novice on internet) Next march I hope to travel to singapore by train from bangkok. I want to travel 1st class i.e sleepers where nescsary etc. and I would like the timings , where to change etc etc and cost and how to book. this is return trip thanks brian

[/quote

Brian,

The Venice Simplon Orient Express runs a delux service between BKK and SNG and return. It may be just wha.

t you are looking for, but it is pricey.

Do a Google search on "Orient Express" to find their web site which would include schedule, and costs

Good luck!

Or try using the services of a professional travel agent.

I made the trip from Bangkok to Trang on the Thai train which was old japanese rolling stock but which had at the rear of the train 4 1st class compartments with upper and lower bunks. This compartment also had a shower and a seperate guard.

Comfortable enough and we got some rest but not western world first class comfort but then neither was the price too high at perhaps Bt1500 or so each (can't actually remember). That is only part of the way and about 16 hours. That train did go onto Butterworth I think which is the border with Malaysia.

Here is the Thai Railway website http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp The journey inside Thailand looks like 21 hours.

Here's the Malaysia train info. http://www.ktmb.com.my/ Looks like a change in Kuala Lumpur.

There may be other options but that's all I have. Hope it helps.

thanks alot so far but i would like a itinary of trip if some one could sort it ou tfor me

Really there is no travel agent who you can go to and sort it out yourself? Just wondering. There are some links other posters recommended and you stil need all the help without helping yourself at all?? Hmmm .. :o

Edited by legag

I made the trip from Bangkok to Trang on the Thai train which was old japanese rolling stock but which had at the rear of the train 4 1st class compartments with upper and lower bunks. This compartment also had a shower and a seperate guard.

Comfortable enough and we got some rest but not western world first class comfort but then neither was the price too high at perhaps Bt1500 or so each (can't actually remember). That is only part of the way and about 16 hours. That train did go onto Butterworth I think which is the border with Malaysia.

Here is the Thai Railway website http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp The journey inside Thailand looks like 21 hours.

Here's the Malaysia train info. http://www.ktmb.com.my/ Looks like a change in Kuala Lumpur.

There may be other options but that's all I have. Hope it helps.

Butterworth is next to Penang.

I travelled from Butterworth to Surat Thani on a sleeper.

Immigration was quite a few hours into the trip but all was very straight forward.

I miss rail travel as it gives the traveller a true feeling of the country they are moving through.

Have a great trip.

I was in second class and it was comfortable enough,,then again I like roughing it.

Edited by soihok

Singapore Railway station is like some strange back wood affair.Like the scene in Mad Max 1 when the bikers were collecting the coffin.

But Will get you to Bangkok in a number of days.

I really would love to make this trip but it aint going to happen with two kids in tow.

This agency will organise a luxury trip for you

so will Trailfinders in UK if you really want to lay back and do nothing

otherwise you can get the schedule and book yourself on the International trains using this guide but they are not first class by European standards.

Other than that I'm sure there are travel agents in Singapore you could contact (search the internet for their addresses) who would do it all for you

Singapore Railway station is like some strange back wood affair.Like the scene in Mad Max 1 when the bikers were collecting the coffin.

But Will get you to Bangkok in a number of days.

I really would love to make this trip but it aint going to happen with two kids in tow.

Geez, what a great visual and a good laugh to boot. Now I've got to go check out the Singapore station for myself, sounds like a hoot and a half! :o

thanks alot so far but i would like a itinary of trip if some one could sort it ou tfor me

Bangkok to Butterworth everyday train 35 leaves 14.45 arrives 11.45 [malaysia time] next day

Butterworth to KL everyday train leaves 21.30 arrives 6.45 [maybe] next day

KL to Singapore 3 trains a day

Dear Brian,

There is the "Eastern & Oriental Express train". I took it a few years ago and, trust me, it is a "once in a lifetime experience"!. But I hope that you won't travel alone!

Not particularly cheap but worth every cents of its price! More especially because their prices are...in US dollars!

You will find all the information you need at : "http://www.orient-express.com/web/eoe/eoe_a2a_home.jsp".

Have a good trip!

Krungbin

Hello Brian,

Well, we seem to be making some progress here. One kind person has already offered to arrange to have your bags carried at Bangkok station. Others have written down some of those web-site address thingies for you (sorry if you don’t really understand those). And on the debit side, there was just that nasty, nasty man who suggested you should “get off your arse and do something to help yourself”. Some people have no sympathy, do they?

Anyway, I’m prepared to trump all of the aforementioned and will show that nasty bad man how truly kind some of us Thaivisa.com chaps really are. I will plan your entire trip for you : I will work out the timings, where to change, the costs and how to book. And first class all the way, oh yes.

Of course I shall need something in return, and you’ll be glad to hear it’s not much. I’ll just need you to sacrifice two virgins for me. If possible on the 3rd day after full moon, in a month which has an ‘R’ in it. I’ll want it to be done on a small uninhabited island in the Pacific. Or, failing that, in front of the first 7-11 store on Sukhumvit soi 8. Actually, let's go with the second of those: then I won't need to do another travel itinerary for you. Is that all clear? And if you could perform a kind of war dance round the slumped bodies of the virgins afterwards that would be just splendid. (Do mind the traffic in soi 8).

So I think we have a programme worked out, don't we. Just get those virgins nicely sacrificed, and then I’ll get straight onto the case and work out your travel details for you. It’ll all be done in a jiffy. And remember, virgins, mind. Two fat old slags from Doncaster who’ve been “quite good, really” will not do. :o

Hello Brian,

Well, we seem to be making some progress here. One kind person has already offered to arrange to have your bags carried at Bangkok station. Others have written down some of those web-site address thingies for you (sorry if you don’t really understand those). And on the debit side, there was just that nasty, nasty man who suggested you should “get off your arse and do something to help yourself”. Some people have no sympathy, do they?

Anyway, I’m prepared to trump all of the aforementioned and will show that nasty bad man how truly kind some of us Thaivisa.com chaps really are. I will plan your entire trip for you : I will work out the timings, where to change, the costs and how to book. And first class all the way, oh yes.

Of course I shall need something in return, and you’ll be glad to hear it’s not much. I’ll just need you to sacrifice two virgins for me. If possible on the 3rd day after full moon, in a month which has an ‘R’ in it. I’ll want it to be done on a small uninhabited island in the Pacific. Or, failing that, in front of the first 7-11 store on Sukhumvit soi 8. Actually, let's go with the second of those: then I won't need to do another travel itinerary for you. Is that all clear? And if you could perform a kind of war dance round the slumped bodies of the virgins afterwards that would be just splendid. (Do mind the traffic in soi 8).

So I think we have a programme worked out, don't we. Just get those virgins nicely sacrificed, and then I’ll get straight onto the case and work out your travel details for you. It’ll all be done in a jiffy. And remember, virgins, mind. Two fat old slags from Doncaster who’ve been “quite good, really” will not do. :o

:D :D :D

The OP must be a troll, or one of the world's innocents who is in for a shock!!

Either way..very funny :D

Brian... look here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1loyjm4SOa0

Edited by yorkman

Your coming all the way from Surrey in Southern England to Thailand and want to lock yourself away in 1st class. You must be mad. Go 2nd class and mingle with the other travellers and experience life a little.

I've done Bangkok to Singapore and back a number of times by train. The Thai trains are in my opinion far better than the Malaysian ones. It's a long journey and would for a tourist be far better broken up into stages. Stay a few days in Penang, Genting Highlands and KL. If you're gonna be a tourist...Tour not just travel.

It's Monday we must be in Holland (day 6 of a 17 day, 21 country bus trip)...is not the way to go

I've done Bangkok to Singapore and back a number of times by train. The Thai trains are in my opinion far better than the Malaysian ones.

How come?? Especially the KL-Singapore route is with much newer trains than the Thai ones, which are only comparable with the Penang-KL trains...TV (OK, with video feed only, but still), private shower room in every compartment on the Malay trains, where do you see that here?

Dear Brian,

There is the "Eastern & Oriental Express train". I took it a few years ago and, trust me, it is a "once in a lifetime experience"!. But I hope that you won't travel alone!

Not particularly cheap but worth every cents of its price! More especially because their prices are...in US dollars!

You will find all the information you need at : "http://www.orient-express.com/web/eoe/eoe_a2a_home.jsp".

Have a good trip!

Krungbin

Certainly was when I took this trip with my ex-wife a few years ago. We were having a really enjoyable, unique experience when, all of a sudden, the train fell off the rails near Butterworth. No serious injuries but the train could not continue. EOE bussed us into Penang and put us up at the Shangrila overnight. Next day, flew us down to Singapore, first class (only 45 min flight so no real benefit there).

And - this is the best bit - EOE refunded us the entire cost of the trip!

As has been said, the EOE is an experience not to be missed - we were just unlucky that we only got halfway on the journey before the accident. Certainly not cheap - we were only able to afford it because it was part of a package deal with Kuoni - but if you're into luxurious travel you should certainly consider doing it.

DM