Cement Fish Pond

bubbaba

Johnh101,

I'm hoping you can come up with some reference for the sulphur resistent portland cement and its use in submerged concrete...I've looked a bit on the internet and have not found anything that talks about this as one of its uses.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

Johnh101,

I'm hoping you can come up with some reference for the sulphur resistent portland cement and its use in submerged concrete...I've looked a bit on the internet and have not found anything that talks about this as one of its uses.

Chownah

Type V Portland Cement

* Used when more sulfate resistance is desired

* Generates less heat in the hydration process

* Common uses: Marine and waste disposal applications

* Available in bulk, 94 lb bags

* Specifications: ASTM C-150; Type II-V Low Alkalai; Federal SS-C-1960/3; CALTRANS Sec. 90-2; AZDOT Pre-qualified; NDOT Sec. 701

Johnh101,

Chownah

Type V Portland Cement

* Used when more sulfate resistance is desired

* Generates less heat in the hydration process

* Common uses: Marine and waste disposal applications

* Available in bulk, 94 lb bags

* Specifications: ASTM C-150; Type II-V Low Alkalai; Federal SS-C-1960/3; CALTRANS Sec. 90-2; AZDOT Pre-qualified; NDOT Sec. 701

Great information, where did it come from?

Chownah

Ozzydom,

Thanks for the link. I've looked around a bit on the internet and found a site (can't remember which one) which indicated that type V cement has limited availability and since it was a US based site this means limited availability in the US....so probably not available in Thailand...maybe near the ocean? Another site indicated that type II was the next best thing to type V and that type I was the next best alternative...also there are supplementary additives that can be added to increase sulfate resistence but it is unlikely that these would be commonly available. Another site had a paper (Sulfate Resistance of Concrete Using

Blended Cements or Supplementary Cementitious Materials by Javed I. Bhatty and Peter C. Taylor) which indicated that a strategy to increase sulfate resistence was to reduce permeability which would reduce the intrusion of sulfate bearing water. Jobsite strategies to reduce permeability are to use the least amount of water possible in the concrete mix (lowest possible water/cment ratio), be sure that the concrete is placed properly and consolidated completely, and to be sure that the concrete is cured properly. The article also indicates that sulfates can be found in some soils and that it can come from fertilizers too.

Chownah

Ozzydom,

Thanks for the link. I've looked around a bit on the internet and found a site (can't remember which one) which indicated that type V cement has limited availability and since it was a US based site this means limited availability in the US....so probably not available in Thailand...maybe near the ocean? Another site indicated that type II was the next best thing to type V and that type I was the next best alternative...also there are supplementary additives that can be added to increase sulfate resistence but it is unlikely that these would be commonly available. Another site had a paper (Sulfate Resistance of Concrete Using

Blended Cements or Supplementary Cementitious Materials by Javed I. Bhatty and Peter C. Taylor) which indicated that a strategy to increase sulfate resistence was to reduce permeability which would reduce the intrusion of sulfate bearing water. Jobsite strategies to reduce permeability are to use the least amount of water possible in the concrete mix (lowest possible water/cment ratio), be sure that the concrete is placed properly and consolidated completely, and to be sure that the concrete is cured properly. The article also indicates that sulfates can be found in some soils and that it can come from fertilizers too.

Chownah

In type 11, 11a and 5,between 5 & 8 % of Tricalcium Aluminate is added to increase resistance to sulfates.

If you can locate anyone with an old Halliburton, or Dowell engineer handbook you can get heaps of info on cements, additives, etc. In my wifes cleaning frenzy, mine has been moved, thrown out, or what ever. I might have a chance of finding it if I could convey to her what I am looking for. ( no dear its not a paperback ) Ever had one of those day?

If you can locate anyone with an old Halliburton, or Dowell engineer handbook you can get heaps of info on cements, additives, etc. In my wifes cleaning frenzy, mine has been moved, thrown out, or what ever. I might have a chance of finding it if I could convey to her what I am looking for. ( no dear its not a paperback ) Ever had one of those day?

There has been alot of research done on cement additives it seems (from my internet searches) so the information of what to use is probably available if a dedicated search is done....I think the problem will be in finding those additives in Thailand...and at reasonable prices and quantities. Anyone know where to get Tricalcium Aluminate (as mentioned by Ozzydom) for instance?

Chonwah

chownah; If you are close to any oil field service company that provides cement and or pumping services they will have most, if not all, of the additives you would ever desire. Thai army involved in drilling work in shallow production area (Fang) so doubt if they would have. The deeper producing areas where foreign operators are active would be a good source.