Colonsocopy... The "rocket"

mohinga

I'll be visiting from my retirement crib in Malaysia next month; and am considering the possibility of getting a colonoscopy in either Chiangmai or Bangkok. This would be solely for preventative purposes, i.e. I am apparently in good health; but it seems that the procedure is now recommended in the West for people over 50 yrs old. I'm 60, and my sister put the idea in my mind, so I'd like to check it out. The unpleasant aspect of the invasive procedure is a deterrent; and if it were expensive to boot, then I would probably pass on the "rocket ride".

Does anyone have info, or direct experience, of this procedure in CNX or BKK? i.e. cost?.. which hospital?... good doctor?...

Thank you.

Which ever hospital you choose to have the procedure done, I would suggest Ram, be active in your obtaining this service by ensuring the doctor performing it is at lest a Thai Board Certified proctologist, surgeon or gastroenterologist. Also insist on anesthesia, I am not sure which one is best, but I believe modern practice has an anesthesia that just puts you to sleep without taking you down to a level that is used in general surgery. An epidural block comes to mind but I think it is just a shot that puts you to sleep. Three recent surgeries at Ram in which an epidural block was used for leg surgery, an additional sedative was given to make me sleep through the procedure, although I suspect with an epidural block, you can remain awake if you request it. Women have them all the time with child birth.

I had mine done in Hawaii, it was not unpleasant, although the prep and "greasing up" was done by a nurse before I was put to sleep. Woke up, procedure done with no side effects. It is even less discomforting that a rectal exam if done right.

Now that I think of it, it was a radiologist that did the procedure in Hawaii,as it is the interpretation of the visual images seen during the procedure that is important. However, it was an HMO so I wonder if there is a medical specialty that does it routinely or proprietarily.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

Because I've had colon cancer, I have a colonoscopy every 4 or 5 years. My last one was done at BNH Hospital, here in Bangkok, and cost me about 20,000 baht. In the 5 or 6 times I've had the procedure, I've never had full anasthesia, just a sedative. Generally, the tube is connected to a TV monitor, where the doctor sees the intestine. Every time I've gone in, I've been able to watch the monitor. So, I've seen what the doctor sees and watched him/her remove a couple of polyps, too.

I would never say the procedure is enjoyable but it is really only a bit uncomfortable -- not really painful.

Edited by lanny

i had this done at bumrungrad a year or so ago.

they have a digestive diseases department.

nothing unpleasant at all about the procedure , it took about 30 minutes and was done under deep sedation , which seemed to compress time , and i had no recollection of it at all when i woke up about 30 minutes after it was finished in a recovery area and went home about an hour later.

i was given powerful laxatives the night before to flush out the system and then i attended the hospital in the morning .

in the "pre op area" for an hour or so prior to the procedure along with others waiting for a colonoscopy you are given a couple of litres of something to drink that seems to go straight through the system . when you are passing clear water with no bits in you are taken through for the colonoscopy.

wondrously beautiful nurses were on hand to examine my every bowel motion until they were satisfied that i had been "cleansed".

any brown bits and i was gently admonished and given more laxative to drink.

i couldnt work out if i was in heaven or h3ll.

the doctor did the actual procedure , there was a dvd recorder attached to the apparatus . the doc came by when i came round and thankfully told me nothing untoward was found and gave me a copy of the dvd. not surprisingly i have never had any inclination to view it.

the cost was about 20000b. a couple of westerners there were unhappy/inhibited about running back and forth to the shitter every 5 minutes in front of others (who were all doing the same thing) and were offered private rooms for a couple of hours for an extra few thousand baht , but for the rest of us there was a sense of shared camaradie in that room with laughs and smiles as the sounds of groans , splashings and farts came from the toilet cubicles.

and gave me a copy of the dvd. not surprisingly i have never had any inclination to view it.

Please don't deny others the opportunity.

I always put my DVD on when I have drunken guests that dont wear watches. Guarantees an empty house within 15 minutes :o

I had one at the BNH hospital 2 months ago. Everything was very private and 'dignified'. I was given some sedatives so I fell asleep within a few minutes and had some weird dreams. Only a small amount of discomfort involved. The worst part was probably forcing down 2 litres of the foul tasting bowel purgative the night before. The procedure was carried out in an operating theatre in case of complications.

Total cost 14,650 baht. No DVD but just some nice colourful images.

They recommend having one every 5 - 10 years after the age of 50.

I had a double-ender (colonoscopy and a camera down the throat - don't know the proper name) in the UK last year. They used a combination of midazolam and pethidine for sedation and pain relief. I watched them start to inject the midazolam and apparently 5 minutes later asked them when they were going to start. It was actually 45 minutes later and they'd finished. I didn't remember a thing.

• 2 months later...

For those who have had a colonoscopy done recently in Thailand, did it take long to set up an appointment for the procedure, like a few days, or did you have to wait weeks? I'm assuming I can go to any hospital that does colonoscopys, without having the need for a referral from a doctor, and that it will only take, at most, after it's done, a few days for the results?

For those who have had a colonoscopy done recently in Thailand, did it take long to set up an appointment for the procedure, like a few days, or did you have to wait weeks? I'm assuming I can go to any hospital that does colonoscopys, without having the need for a referral from a doctor, and that it will only take, at most, after it's done, a few days for the results?

I have been with patients having colonoscopy and even under sedation they always grumped and groaned when the scope had to turn a corner but, of course, afterwards remembered nothing about it. I have used Dr. Virasak at Bumrungrad - educated in Edinburgh. You will get results same day. Don't need to be referred.

If you use Bumrungrad in Bangkok you can usually go in the day before and make the appointment for the following day. You need an overnight wait in order to purge your system first - typically the procedure will require you to be at the hospital, very early the next morning. - Results should be the same day.

I have been with patients having colonoscopy and even under sedation they always grumped and groaned when the scope had to turn a corner but, of course, afterwards remembered nothing about it. I have used Dr. Virasak at Bumrungrad - educated in Edinburgh. You will get results same day. Don't need to be referred.

I'll always remember a patient who said it felt like they were trying to parallel park a '63 Buick Riviera in there whenever that part happened... :D

63_Buick_Riviera.jpg

:o