House Building & Land Maintenance In C'rai

klikster

I lived in C'rai during the late 90's then went wandering about. I'm *thinking* about moving back to C'rai and building on some land I have there. The plot is sizeable enough (about 5 rai) that I would need someone to take care of it.

So I'm wondering:

* Approximate cost to build a western style, comfortable (not luxurious), single story 180 - 200 sm house with high ceilings

* A small house for the caretaker.

* Approximate cost to hire a couple to clean house and tend the property.

* Are hilltribe folks more or less honorable and honest than the Northern Thais?

* Are there any good (reputable and knowledgable) construction supt. type expats around and if so, at what fee? I would be on the site much of the time but my construction knowledge is limited.

Electricity and water are at the property line. The site is high and mostly rock so I would only need it elevated for cooling purposes. I don't like air-con and usually live quite nicely with fan cooling.

I'm talking good quality tile floors, quality paint treated (textured transparent overcoat) walls, good glass sliders, kitchen cabinets, ceiling fans .. etc.

I have a couple of Thai connections to help me with major purchases .. but I can't impose on them too much.

I lived in C'rai during the late 90's then went wandering about. I'm *thinking* about moving back to C'rai and building on some land I have there. The plot is sizeable enough (about 5 rai) that I would need someone to take care of it.

So I'm wondering:

* Approximate cost to build a western style, comfortable (not luxurious), single story 180 - 200 sm house with high ceilings

* Are hilltribe folks more or less honorable and honest than the Northern Thais?

* Are there any good (reputable and knowledgable) construction supt. type expats around and if so, at what fee? I would be on the site much of the time but my construction knowledge is limited.

Electricity and water are at the property line. The site is high and mostly rock so I would only need it elevated for cooling purposes. I don't like air-con and usually live quite nicely with fan cooling.

I'm talking good quality tile floors, quality paint treated (textured transparent overcoat) walls, good glass sliders, kitchen cabinets, ceiling fans .. etc.

I have a couple of Thai connections to help me with major purchases .. but I can't impose on them too much.

Look at www.pheonhomes.com. Saw a flyer of them today and the website seems interesting. You never know...

So I'm wondering:

Look at www.pheonhomes.com. Saw a flyer of them today and the website seems interesting.

Why? " .. and building on some land I have there. "

You never know...

?

So I'm wondering:

Look at www.pheonhomes.com. Saw a flyer of them today and the website seems interesting.

Why? " .. and building on some land I have there. "

You never know...

?

So? Maybe they can build.

So I'm wondering:

hello klikster.

i think you would have to come to chaingrai and then shop around for a thai builder,

i know a few falang who have built houses here and have been very happy with their builder,they could show you samples of what they have built for other clients and then give you a price depending on what grade materials you want ,i think they price on how many square meters are in the house.

my experience of northern thais and hilltribe people are they are very honest but like everything else there are good and bad were ever you go.

i dont personally know of any construction type expats but once again shop around.

So I'm wondering:

hello klikster.

i think you would have to come to chaingrai and then shop around for a thai builder,

i know a few falang who have built houses here and have been very happy with their builder,they could show you samples of what they have built for other clients and then give you a price depending on what grade materials you want ,i think they price on how many square meters are in the house.

my experience of northern thais and hilltribe people are they are very honest but like everything else there are good and bad were ever you go.

i dont personally know of any construction type expats but once again shop around.

Hi Soap,

Thanks for your reply. I'm hoping to get an approximate Bt xxxx / sq meter estimate. maybe from someone who has built something similar to what I'm looking for. I realize that the final price is in the negotiations.

Likewise for a caretaker couple, like Bt xxxx/mo.

As for expats, I know one who lives in C'rai but I think he is off on assignment right now .. not sure how long.

I'm hoping to get an approximate Bt xxxx / sq meter estimate.

Just finnished a 414sqm building , thai buillder charged 80,000 for the construction. Whats that about 190baht/sqm. This was in Chiang Kham outside CR.

I'm hoping to get an approximate Bt xxxx / sq meter estimate.

Just finnished a 414sqm building , thai buillder charged 80,000 for the construction. Whats that about 190baht/sqm. This was in Chiang Kham outside CR.

My guess is that your building was not a "western style house".

sorry for not being clear -

I paid the builder 80,000 for constructing a 414sqm building. That does not include materials. about 190baht/sqm

Quote from the same builder yesterday for a 264sqm building is B43,000. Again this does not include materials. About 165baht/sqm. The first price is higher because there was a cost in putting in some "utility" trenches.

The reason I did not include materials is because these buildings are farm buildings. The builder chargers the same price for construction regardless of the building use.

I realise that you are looking for a total price for a western style house - If you used this builder then I guess he would charge you around 32,000 to build the house. As for materials the last western style house we built was four years ago about the same specs total cost about B8,500/sqm

hope that is a bit helpful.

Edited by dsys

Only constructions costs I guess.....excluding the materials....

Are you suggesting that the construction costs of a "western style house" of 400+ sq m will be Bt 80,000?

My house was done about three years ago using all local labor. We paid daily wages to the tradesmen/laborers. I suppose completion to livability was about 800,000B. Total cost excluding land.

post-38081-1198217575_thumb.jpg

I realise that you are looking for a total price for a western style house - If you used this builder then I guess he would charge you around 32,000 to build the house. As for materials the last western style house we built was four years ago about the same specs total cost about B8,500/sqm

hope that is a bit helpful.

Thanks, dsys. Brings things a bit more into perspective.

Are you suggesting that the construction costs of a "western style house" of 400+ sq m will be Bt 80,000?

My house was done about three years ago using all local labor. We paid daily wages to the tradesmen/laborers. I suppose completion to livability was about 800,000B. Total cost excluding land.

Hello, sceadugenga. Nice house. About what is the total living area?

I assume that the building cost of a single level house is a bit cheaper than 2 level. I hare climbing stairs .. especially Thai stairs .. with my size 11 feet. :o

Hello, sceadugenga. Nice house. About what is the total living area?

I assume that the building cost of a single level house is a bit cheaper than 2 level. I hare climbing stairs .. especially Thai stairs .. with my size 11 feet. :o

I know what you mean about the stairs.

Think in 4 meter by 4 meter squares.

The down stairs area is 3 squares by 3 squares, 9 in all.

4 are the living area (8 meters x 8 meters), 2 the kitchen (8x4), 1 a bathroom (4x4) and 2 a bedroom. (8x4)

Up stairs there is a single bedroom consisting of four more squares and the rest is an open L shaped balcony.

<snip>

I assume that the building cost of a single level house is a bit cheaper than 2 level. I hate climbing stairs .. especially Thai stairs .. with my size 11 feet. :o

I know what you mean about the stairs.

Think in 4 meter by 4 meter squares.

The down stairs area is 3 squares by 3 squares, 9 in all.

4 are the living area (8 meters x 8 meters), 2 the kitchen (8x4), 1 a bathroom (4x4) and 2 a bedroom. (8x4)

Up stairs there is a single bedroom consisting of four more squares and the rest is an open L shaped balcony.

That about the size I was planning for .. all on 1 level. Looks like your building cost is just under Bt 4,000/sq m, which is what I have been told is the "Thai price". I plan to buy materials, find a trustworthy construction foreman type and hire locals .. pretty much how I remodeled one house in the US.

Thanks very much for sharing that information ..

Holiday blessings to you and your family. /\

i have heard prices average from 8,000 to 12,000 baht per sq.meter from a few sources, in regards to decent quality build. this is also the standard that thai govt uses for appraisal.

of course there are local guys who do the thai method of building and you may get it done for 6,000 per sq m, or maybe even less, but it probably won't be the quality of workmanship you mentioned.

are you planning on designing the house yourself or hiring an architect?

even if you design it, its good to have an architect and his engineers check out the logistics of it.

the architect will also know of good builders and shoulder most of the responsibility of getting it done correctly.

as far as i can tell, an architect charges about 10 or 15% of the total building cost, plus maybe a few extras.

you pay a little more, but the headaches you'll save may be worth it if youve heard the horror stories of building in thailand.

as for caretakers, i had a friend quoted that 5000 baht monthly got you a burmese couple, that does the cleaning and maintenance.

though i'm sure this cost varies.

good if you know what village they are from, and where thier family resides, in case of any issues.

i have also heard that if the couple has a child, you are somewhat responsible for assisting somehow financially, maybe school fees etc. which are negligable at the public schools anyways. not sure if this is the standard.

• 2 months later...
i have heard prices average from 8,000 to 12,000 baht per sq.meter from a few sources, in regards to decent quality build. this is also the standard that thai govt uses for appraisal.

of course there are local guys who do the thai method of building and you may get it done for 6,000 per sq m, or maybe even less, but it probably won't be the quality of workmanship you mentioned.

are you planning on designing the house yourself or hiring an architect?

even if you design it, its good to have an architect and his engineers check out the logistics of it.

the architect will also know of good builders and shoulder most of the responsibility of getting it done correctly.

as far as i can tell, an architect charges about 10 or 15% of the total building cost, plus maybe a few extras.

you pay a little more, but the headaches you'll save may be worth it if youve heard the horror stories of building in thailand.

as for caretakers, i had a friend quoted that 5000 baht monthly got you a burmese couple, that does the cleaning and maintenance.

though i'm sure this cost varies.

good if you know what village they are from, and where thier family resides, in case of any issues.

i have also heard that if the couple has a child, you are somewhat responsible for assisting somehow financially, maybe school fees etc. which are negligable at the public schools anyways. not sure if this is the standard.

pm if you wish to visit one of our trad or estern standard bulidings

Allow plenty of time to source good labour and material

Visit as many new sites as you can and do not be in a rush

I pay double going rate for labourers but then for afew$ a day extra they are punctual sober honest conscientious and picking up english and western bdg methods used in Queensland USA and Europe