Squeaky Rubber Suspension Bushes

pop3

I have some squeaky rubber suspension bushes on my pickup. I have tried WD 40 and the Thai equivalent but it soon dries up and the squeak is back, I know I could use engine oil or a mixture of engine oil and diesel and it would last longer but engine oil can destroy the rubber and make it very soggy over a period of time,

Does anyone know of a way to stop this annoying squeaky problem ? What about this silicone spray ?

Are you sure it's the bushes?

Usually sign of worn shockers or bushes - when the suspension moves there's a lot of parts moving together.

I'd get the whole assembly looked at.....

are you getting uneven tyre wear? E.g. on the outside or inside....does it pull to one side when driving or braking....do you get wheel-wobble after some bumps in the road?

BTW - I had all my front bushes replaced for about 5000 baht - not going to burn a hole in your pocket.

Edited by wilko

are you getting uneven tyre wear?

Yes I have noticed the tyres have worn on the inside but all the joints seem to be ok ?

Good point about the brake fluid, I know it's ok with rubber but I don't know if it would be a good idea as maybe it would eat away the bolt going through the bush ?

are you getting uneven tyre wear?

Yes I have noticed the tyres have worn on the inside ( more than likely needs a front end alignment ) but all the joints seem to be ok ?

Good point about the brake fluid, I know it's ok with rubber but I don't know if it would be a good idea as maybe it would eat away the bolt going through the bush ?

As Crossy suggested "Brake Fluid" yes.

or even better Silicon brake fluid

by the time brake fluid ate through the bolt you will be old & gray or at least older & grayer.

Reminds me of the time one person raised a concern about the possible ill effects "playground copper logs" it was establised that the child would have to consume evey log in the playground before any ill effects would be noticed and considering the time this would take most probable ill effect would be indigestion not poisoning.

Pop3, sounds like you are using a pick-up for what its meant for, carrying loads, unless its old and used to carry a good load before you bought it, Todays isolastic rubber bushes only move within themselves, it seems you know how to eliminate the problem with some spray, can you tell us where this is please, also a shock-absorber check might be worth while, knackered shockers will cause the main suspension to move more, causing squeaking, try pushing down with your body weight on each corner of your pick-up, if it comes up after you release and dont bounce, shockers should be ok, but if it does bounce, shockers are knackered, BTW, brake fluid wont harm steel, but it will take paint off, and also be very careful using it on suspension bushes, the rubber in a brake cylinder is of a different make up to that in a bush, Rgds Lickey.

If the bushes are worm the suspension geometry can be out and this can be a cause of tyre wear....you could get the wheels aligned (300 baht) but it won't last for long unless the bushes are replaced....they might tell you they can't do it properly or just do it and hope for the best.

Basically suspension doesn't squeak....unless something is wrong....be it minor or major. If the vehicle is being used as a pick-up or is 5 years old or so...just get someone to look at the bushes.

I Had an old Granada...A mixture of washing up liquid and water done the trick for a while. Cant remember how long it lasted but it had to be done on a regular basis..

Long enough to sell the motor, along with the banana in the gearbox (yes, it's very effective) and the hypoid gear oil in the sump (does wonders for the oil pressure for a few miles) :o:)

I agree with the soap. Soap, NOT detergent. Years ago I used to help out in a garage and spraying that soap on all the rubber parts was part of the service. It was the same green liquid soap that they use on the bead of a tire when changing tubeless tires on the rim.

I like the soap idea, should be ok in the dry season !

As for the question before about the pick up being used for what it was made for, or maybe its old ? yes to both, its in good condition but is a year 2000 model, and it does get used for some serious loads of builders rubble ect at times

• 2 weeks later...
I Had an old Granada...A mixture of washing up liquid and water done the trick for a while. Cant remember how long it lasted but it had to be done on a regular basis..

Long enough to sell the motor, along with the banana in the gearbox (yes, it's very effective) and the hypoid gear oil in the sump (does wonders for the oil pressure for a few miles) :D:)

Crossy, you forgot the sawdust in the diff to stop it whining :o

If your tyres are wearing on the insides, your tyres are toeing-out. You need to get your tracking checked. Also, if you do get your bushes replaced, make sure the guy/s tighten-up the bolts when the suspension is in the "at-rest" position not when the suspension is hanging free whilst on axle stands or on a wheel-free ramp. Any sloppy mechanic will do it then and when they bung the wheels back on and let the car down, your brand new bushes are under load exactly when they should be at-rest.