Cable?satellite? I Miss Television...

penzman

Finally moved to our new house. From your experiences, should we go with satellite?cable? Which ones?

I did see a list of stations from PSI tonight, about 300 chanels, 3 that I could watch, and understand, most others were from India, Pakistan, China etc....

I want more than just BBC CNN and TV5...

Thanks,

Penz :o

Hello Penz,

I also have a satellite dish (not UBC), and I can surely receive more then 15 English language channels, then there are around the same amount of channels which show movies in original language (English).

The list from PSI is not complete and outdated, for more information you can better look at http://satellite.information.in.th

With kind regards,

Richard

If your area has cable available, then you should go for cable. The DSTV (satellite) system can give nice pictures, but is susceptible to bad weather. There are two types of cable service, analog and digital, with digital having interactive menus like DSTV service.

Some thoughts on UBC:

It has mostly regionalized versions of programs, such as HBO (asia), CNBC (asia), etc. etc.

Any commercials not on free-tv are replaced by UBC announcements with annoying background music.

The Thai translations are horrible (but this doesn't affect foreigners).

UBC variety channels usually air very dated foreign material.

UBC censors: nudity, sex, foul language, smoking (ha!), and pointing a gun to a person's head.

It's not like you have much choice, with UBC being the one and only cable tv provider in Thailand (not counting illegal operators with lousy programs). "Free" satellite TV isn't that great, and many channels are in foreign languages.

Stumonster

Could you elaborate a little on your post.

Stream or download from the net .......

Are you talking about movies only ?

If not, what else is available ?? From where ??

Are you actually doing this ??

If so, what are the limitations other than the

obvious need for a hs net connection ??

Thanks for your input.

Just checked out jsat's website. Basically they only sell equipment to receive sattelite chanels. They offer systems to receive both dream and astro, which are subscription networks and do offer a good channel package. Unfortunately those providers are not allowed to sell their subscriptions in Thailand. You can however decode these signals with modified receivers and description keys freely available on the web. This might be their "customer care plus service". Just realise it is illegal to decode these channels without subscribtion, and they are bound to upgrade the encoding systems to a higher level, leaving you with a useless system!

Buyer beware!!!