House book and thai ID-card

May I ask you guys who know this. Must I have a yellow house book in order to apply for a Thai ID-card???

Or do I have to be married to apply for either?????

Thank you for your help..

25 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

May I ask you guys who know this. Must I have a yellow house book in order to apply for a Thai ID-card???

Yes.   

Yellow House book first of all.

Then you go on to get your Thai ID card.

• Agree 1

You have to have a yellow book to get a pink thai ID,I was told that I had to be married and I had to produce my marriage certificate.Maybe different rules for different places just ask your local office to be sure.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Yes, entry into a yellow book is required to get Pink ID, The process of going into a yellow book puts you in the database, generates an ID number etc. the printing of the ID is a 5 minute process after all the information in the yellow book has been generated.

its a NON-Thai ID. The card actually says, in big bold letters 

"identification card for people who do not have Thai citizenship"

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also not all local offices are the same, some read the what is required differently, like my office did, they read if married need a copy of marriage certificate as need to be married, that is just the start after we were married still a lot of hoops to jump through, but don't give up yours might be a more friendly office.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, FARANG KIWI said:

Yes.   

Yellow House book first of all.

Then you go on to get your Thai ID card.

I add, if you have thai Permanent Residency PR (meaning a Certificate of Residence book) you are recorded in a standard dark blue Tabien Baan book when the PR book is issued, and this gives you entitlement to a pink ID card. 

I asked at our local amphur last year. I was with my Thai partner. I was totally ignored as usual and the official asked my Thai partner if we were married. She replied we're not married, she was then told for us to go get married then come back. Well, that ain't happening. I do know lots of guys who are living in other jurisdictions and are not married and have been issued with these cards and house books, so like everything else in Thailand it all depends on that person in that particular office. 

13 minutes ago, grain said:

I asked at our local amphur last year. I was with my Thai partner. I was totally ignored as usual and the official asked my Thai partner if we were married. She replied we're not married, she was then told for us to go get married then come back. Well, that ain't happening. I do know lots of guys who are living in other jurisdictions and are not married and have been issued with these cards and house books, so like everything else in Thailand it all depends on that person in that particular office. 

Same happened to me in Bang Rakam Amphur. Went three or four times to be told we must be married. Finally downloaded some Government accord which said 'No marriage necessary'. Had my yellow book and Pink card in two weeks. Keep on at them.

• Like 1

You should of course first enquire at your local Amphoe of their requirements.

All Amphoes to the best of my knowledge, now request a 'certified' Embassy copy of your Passport data page, which then has to be translated to Thai before being legalised by the Consular section of the MFA.
Some have been known to request the same of a birth certificate in order to enter parents names in the Yellow book.

These made up requirements of being married or owning a home, only display an incompetent officially who doesn't know how to process the request.
There is no such requirement in the Civilian Registration Act, and is more common at district Amphoes.

On 5/21/2024 at 6:12 AM, glegolo18 said:

Yes to Yellow House Book before pink ID-card for foreigners.
No to married; I'm happy unmarried and have both...:thumbsup:

18 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Conversely, it is an id card for Thailand. Not for the USA, UK or wherever.

Ergo - it is a Thai 'id card'.

Indeed. The number allocated is from the Thai registration system which includes foreigners.

I used mine to register at the hospital and when covid came along the hospital registered me on the vaccine app as soon as it was available.

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)

Both come in quite handy ...

... Yellow to avoid CoR when required (if accepted)

... Pink to avoid everyone paging through your PP; accepted at most hotels

if they even want ID from me, which is rare (wife checks in, not me)

... Pink for having address on it, avoids more questions, confusion & mistakes

YMMV with usage & acceptance, so carry your PP with you also, it is the law...IMHO

IMHO, stated as I know others have a different opinion, and I tire of that discussion :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA

On 5/22/2024 at 10:13 AM, KannikaP said:

Same happened to me in Bang Rakam Amphur. Went three or four times to be told we must be married. Finally downloaded some Government accord which said 'No marriage necessary'. Had my yellow book and Pink card in two weeks. Keep on at them.

Thanks for your reply, I guess I'll go back and try again, this time without my Thai partner. Do you happen to have a link to that Government accord which said 'No marriage necessary'?