Sound Proofing

MrSquigle

• 1 month later...
We have reasonably heavy fabric on the windows now and we have the aircon on when required, except fro a few sessions where we wet the bed.

With the above, we can hear the neighbours and they are accross the road, so god knows what they are hearing from this end.

The tented 'Gadaffi' style Boudoir is attractive, but high maintenances with dust collection all over and with a child with a possible allergy/asthma problem who loves to come and jump in our bed, not such a good idea.

I am thinking to buy 50 rai upcountry and build in the middle, as long as not in a valley and no echo around, should be ok.....except for the nanny and other staff.

Enjoyed your and all the other posts. Has helped take the mind off work for a while. However, if you're serious about sound reduction and moving home/making a new home....

Why not build your new place to current Eurpoean standards for energy conservation. Keeping heat inside the home is essentially the same as keeping heat outside - and as luck would have it, reducing the passage of sound (after all, this is also energy).

Typically you would design the house to be built with a cavity wall (double-skin) using Q-Con blocks 4 or 6" (150mm) thick each skin. All windows are designed double glazed. The ceilings are backed up above the plasterboard with rockwool bats or glassfibre blankets. Double glazing does significantly reduce noise transfer - I've even heard of people using triple glazing when living next to railways, etc. A double skin wall of 2 x 150mm thick Q-Cons will stop practically all sound that can be made by a human (I haven't met your missus but I'm guessing she's not an opera singer)

You will then have a house that is not only relatively soundproof, but energy saving in terms of your AC.

The problem with your current home is the Thai building techniques. 100 x 100mm concrete posts every 4 metres and in-fill with 75mm blocks redered over. In effect, what you have is an echoing structure with the walls acting as diaphragms, amplifying the internal noise and transferring a lot of the sound energy from outside too. Additionally, you've probably got the AC on all day as the walls get so hot. I'm assuming your place is made this was as the one I'm currently renting is. I'm in the process of making a home as I've described above, using cavity walls. However, my reasons are to save energy and keep the place cool. My wife is generally not a vocal person in the bedroom, but if ever she feels the need to bark like a dog, 300mm of cavity wall should take care of it.

If you need a quick fix, I have a diving helmet I'd sell you. Set up an air supply from an old scuba tank and Bingo, problem solved. :o

• 2 years later...