Jack Russell Terriers

Yes there is/was a breeder outside of bangkok. Very well-bred dogs at the time but I think now that the breed has become more common and their prices have decreased they might have stopped breeding for sale altogether. I in fact still have one descended from their dogs. They're a very muscular and lean bloodline.

I ran into a fellow coming out of "The Dutchman" restaurant on soi Cowboy about a year back. Had about five of the best behaved Jack Russells I have ever come across, and I have come across a lot of them. I used to fix behavior problems in dogs back in the day and the Jack Russell seem to have their share. There were absolutely beautiful dogs, show quality with a great personality. A lot of it had to do with the owner (of course) he was dedicated to his dogs and understood what was required of him.

The owner of the restaurant seemed to know this guy pretty well. If you are interested in Jack Russells you might stop by the Dutchman and try to track this group down. I would take the time if it were me. Nothing quite as satisfying as a good Jack Russell.

• 4 weeks later...
Are they well tempered, good with kids etc ?

It depends, really. We've had quite a few from them so there's quite a variety (4-6 bought from them and quite a few litters). The one I have right now is very smart and good around people but doesn't get along with other dogs too much. Others have ranged from shy to extremely outgoing. The wire-coated ones did seem to be better/more intelligent but the best thing to do is pick out the friendliest one of the litter, it's too much of a wildcard.

Just go and talk with them, ask when their next litter is. Go see their dogs. They seem to have their original stud who was in a few commercials a while back. They have a good reputation among breeders so you might have to pay a lot more than you would pay at the stores; in the late nineties they were about 25k each versus ~12k in pet stores.

• 3 weeks later...

Those are indeed 'Jacks' - originally bred in the North of England for working underground and ratting, but are there any 'proper' ones in Thailand?

I mean are there any 'Parson Jack Russells' ?- bred by Parson John Russell in the South (Devon I think) for running with the hounds and going to ground - derived from the Fox Terrier and recognised by the Kennel Club - longer legs and usually broken coated, look here if you don't know:- http://www.parsonrussellterrierclub.co.uk/.

I have kept both in the past and (IME) they are very different in looks and temperament.

If anyone knows of any Parsons here I'd be very interested.