An International Festival For Chiang Mai At Last!

brightonb

Greenside, Greenside, Greenside! Why so uptight? The point is that the show must go on and will go on. Have they given it the best possible chances to thrive and be great ? No. And I know we see eye to eye on that. Even I am a wait-and-see about this. Only thing is I understand the plight of the poor giving people here trying to pull something off that looks near impossible. To me this is like starting a business - after 5 yrs of half-baked planning - and just trying to get anything going so that in the future it will start to have a life. And in that sense, it should be good. They will get the word out there that it happens and hopefully gain momentum for the next one to come. This is optimistic as of course, things could go terribly wrong and then get all kinds of groans heaped upon it by the public (Expat public). But again, I'm gonna wait and see. Best of luck to those who are fighting an uphill battle to make this happen. See you there Greenie!

And probably, this would be alot less of something to pick at had they consulted Farang, or not put into print the bit about national costumes and songs and dances. Yeah, that part is silly. I don't ever, have never, wouldn't ever wanna go around in a cowboy outfit or a red, white, n blue shirt and have to do some square or line dancing to display my country's heritage. It's just one silly slice, and that ain't me. Clearly. I'm sure this is a good Thai notion as it is theoretically 'sanuk' and can show your national pride. But that misses the point that most of us here have less national pride for country of origin than they suspect, and much more Thai pride. Ha ha, c'est la vie. Bo pen yang.

Realthaideal's comments about wearing cowboy garb :o reminds me of the Black lady in our govt. agency in Texas, who was in charge of cultural diversity. She had Black heritage month, Asian heritage month, Hispanic month, etc. Some White guys insisted on a White Heritage day, although she insisted every day was already a White day. One Scottish guy came in a kilt and played the bagpipes, and one Pole brought Polish sausages, but that was about it. I had to admit that some of us White folks didn't have a distinct heritage.

Has it all been moved forward or just the Baloons?

http://www.chiangmaiheritage.com

Or has nobody read the above?

We all read it. It says:

"the Balloon Weddings and the International Heritage Festival have now been postponed"

I wouldn't count on it happening at all now. How many people can postpone their wedding by a few weeks? They'll lose their Guinness record too. And they no longer have a venue for this, according to their website:

"Arrangements are being made to hold these events at an alternative venue in Chiang Mai"