Living Costs

Been reading the Min wage postings and wondering if any expats are willing to give me a ball park number as to monthly living costs over there with or without G/F

Planning a move to HH next year on an O retirement visa and trying to do some sort of a budget.

Also considering medical insurance, is there such a thing over there, if so what sort of cost?

Robby

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ball park number as to monthly living costs

Not really enough information to help because your costs of living here depend on your life style, accommodations preferences, area in which you want to live, etc. The range is huge. You can rent a place for as little as B2000/month (US$50) to B100,000 ($2500) or more. Food can be from B5-8 for a bowl of noodles to over $1000 baht per person at a restaurant. Medium range would be about 70-120 baht per person per meal eating out, and about 50-70% of that eating home for western food and less for Thai food.

Gasoline (petrol)is about 20 baht per liter, so figure B80/gallon or about $2 US.

Electricity is about 3-5 baht per Kwh depending on where you live.

Water is about 15B per unit...often a surcharge of 3-5 baht per unit depending on the landlord. Usage can run from roughly 10-20 units per mont...mmore if you have a bunch of kids.

Thee is medical insurance available here from Bupa Blue Cross and a number of other companies, like Aviva Asia, but many only service group plans. http://www.aviva-singapore.com.sg/general-...ce/overview.htm

Google thailand health insurance and you will find a bunch of them.

ball park number as to monthly living costs

Most people I know figure on 30,000 Baht per month as minimum, more if you want to run a car or pick-up.

I can stay up country for about 15,000 per month, but would not like to be in a position that I had to live on that.

My average spend per month is about 35,000 Baht.

As previous reply, does depend on you and your minimum requirements.

As for GF, again it varies. A lot of people will tell you it is cheaper to be a bar fly and take a girl as you want one. This will cost you probably a minimum of 500 Baht per night in Pattaya plus 200 for the bar. Expect about 1000Bt all in.

If you have a girl full time will probably have to give her 10,000 per month plus food, clothes, telephone cards, gold, bit of extra for kids, family, maybe her husband ( commonly known as her brother) etc etc. If you are unlucky list can go on and on and on. I have known people who's girlfriends have cost them more than 50,000 pm.

If you are VERY lucky you may get a good one, but I doubt it. Most people I know spend more on their GF than they do on themselves.

If you take on a GF, lay down the rules at the start, once you have started to be generous, there is no going back

Good luck

I stay now 10 Y in Thailand

And I am Gay

Luckly boys are cheaper than girls !

But anyhow

Without Boyfriend I need at least 30,000 THB to pay my monthly bills.

Rent, Bike, Insurrance, Electric, Water, UBC, Cabel-TV, Maid, Laundety,

and son.

But the boy cost you at leat 6,000 THB plus extras more.

And you also like to have fun sometimes.

So konsider if you are gay at least 60,000 THB a month

and if you are streight (your own fault) 100,000 THB to get fun and live style

Gretings,

Dieter

So consider if you are gay at least 60,000 THB a month

and if you are straight (your own fault) 100,000 THB to get fun and live in style

Now being heard in bedrooms all over Thailand:

"I'm sorry honey, I can't afford to be with you anymore...and because of that, I'm going to turn gay, because it's more economical." :o

Thanks fellas

Had B30k in mind so looks like I may not be too far off

Fairly good at living on stuff all and don't drink so no booze requirements

Don't think I'll take the queer option, can get in enough shit with females

Robby

30k covers my rent and utilities.....barely

I've been going to Thailand every year since 1994, sometimes twice a year. The past four years I've had a steady girl friend who is not, nor has she ever been a "BG". She is a seamstress who in previous years worked in some of the "sweat shops" you've read about. She owns her own home, in Bkk, inherited from her mother, lives with her sister, who works in a boutiqe in BKK, as a seamstress doing alterations, etc.....She is 49 yrs old, and looks 30. She is dying for me to come to Thailand permanently and live and share her house with her, or she is willing and anxious to move to Pattaya with me so that I can be near other farangs and enjoy their friendship. I DO NOT speak Thai.....nada.....nil.....none. She tries to teach me the basics, but before I can get back I forget almost everything she has taught me. She goes to school to learn English, and she's learned a lot, but the situation for her is the same, she forgets because she has no one else to talk to.

When I move over there permanently that will change. She can attend school in Pattaya very cheaply, two hours a day, and after school we can exchange words and conversation, and we'll both learn from it.

I have been checking the cost of an apt. or a condo in Pattaya and it appears that you can get a suitable one bdrm., or a "bachelor" apt. (that's one big rm. with cooking facilities, bed, etc.....) for about 4,000 to 6,000 baht, probably at least partially furnished. That's just about the low-end though, and it goes up from there if you want more luxurious accomodations. I think that if you research a little, look around a bit, you can find something pretty good for about 6,000 baht on a long term lease arrangement, plus utilities of course. At 41 baht to the $ that's a little less than 150 bucks a month US. Depending on your country, "your mileage may vary".

My social security is $1080.00 a month, (US), or 43,000 baht a month, at 40/1.

I have told my lady what my monthly income is and she was elated. She thinks we can live comfortably on that amount, and have money left over.

I also have a small pension from my previous employment. Not too much but added to my SS check each month it raises my income to about 65,000 Baht monthly. I haven't told her yet about that extra income. I will leave it direct-deposited in my US bank until such time as I decide to surprise her.....if that time ever comes.

I have opened an account at Citibank in the US and will open an account in BKK at Citi and transfer fund from the US to Thailand very easily, according to what I have learned from the boards here on the internet, and from talking to the bank people at Citibank. Also, there really is no need to bring a large supply of cash with you, except for a modest amount to carry you over in case of any unseen emergency. The ATM cards work in almost all the Thai banks, in most cities of any size, and usually with no charge whatsoever, unless your home bank charges a fee, in which case I would change home banks.

When I first started coming to Thailand, my first couple trips, I brought loads of travellers checks and a fairly good supply of US cash. No problem cashing large bills, but with anything less than a $50 bill, the rate drops dramatically. The same thing applies to trvlrs cks, and to cash a trvlrs ck requires that you take your passport with you. They won't cash one without it.

With the ATM card.....that's all you need, and you can withdraw only what you think you'll need for a day or two, because there are ATM's EVERYWHERE, at the airport, at any and all shopping centers, in addition to the bank branches located conveniently in the tourist areas.

IMHO bring 2 (two), or more ATM cards, the reason being, although it has never happened to me, (yet), I have heard of customers having the atm machine eat their card for some reason, and not return it, therefore the emergency cash, or another ATM card will be needed till you can go to the appropriate bank to retrieve your card, and I've heard of it taking days and days.....sometimes.

I gave my lady an ATM card four years ago. She uses it monthly, and sometimes twice a month, and she has yet to have any trouble at all, so don't let that warning stop you because I believe it rarely happens.....bit I understand it DOES happen...

so I've read.

If you've been to Pattaya before you already know that there is a multitude of fast-food outlets in Thailand, such as KFC chicken, McDonld's, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Dunkin' Donuts, Swensen's and 31 Flavors ice cream, and plenty more. They are about the same prices as home, maybe just a bit cheaper in some cases, so you can add it up what it will cost you if you can't survive on native dishes. If you eat Thai food you won't believe how little you will spend on food.

If you drink alcoholic beverages, beer to take home, in the markets and 7-11 is about 30 or 35 baht, (you do the numbers), and in the beer bars somewhere around 80 to 90 baht, sometimes less. Soft drinks are a little cheaper, but not a helluva lot. The cost of transportation is almost nothing, considering the cost of a vehicle and the price of petrol, (gas). I honestly believe that if someone GAVE me a car in Thailand I wouldn't drive. I would take the baht-bus instead, or a taxi of some sort. The insurance alone would keep me from behind the wheel, and if that didn't do it, the absolutely idiotic drivers would. Look around you the next time you're there. Try crossing on foot, any boulevard in BKK, or try to cross Beach road in PTYA on Saturday night.

These are just MY takes on the situation. Just my ideas, and others probably feel completely differently about things, so just draw your own conclusions. If you're planning on staying, or living in a large city like Bangkok, or in a beach city such as Pattaya, be prepared to pay more for the cost of living there. On the other hand. if your plans include living in a slightly more remote area, the cost will probably be much less, but without the conveniences you like to have. One thing that would be important to me is that wherever I plant myself I would ###### sure have a western type toilet, (not a "squat" Thai one), and a shower with at least warm water.

Whatever you do.....do it, and think positive. You're going to love every minute of it, from day one. Thailand is a beautiful and wonderful place to live....ErnieK

To legally retire out here the Immigration people want to see 80,000 baht per month coming in to your account, or a holding of 800,000 baht. This holding has to be money that is used - not a static deposit. So really you are looking at similar figures.

This is the Immi. estimate of what it costs a normal farang to live a limited, but acceptable life-style. Rent a small condo, eat, social life, few rounds of golf, whatever. And it is about right.

There is health insurance, but of the 'international-without-USA/Canada' variety. This is expensive for covering Thai hospital costs. I do not know of any specific Thai policy for farangs. If there is - will someone please let me know :o

If you buy property over here, the 80k / month will be enough for a decent life-style. (The possession of property does not count towards your financial status as far as Immi. goes - to the best of my knowledge)

But be warned - there are very few sheep over here, so basic NZ entertainment is OUT. :D

Ernie k 24 is understating a lot of things.

In Pattaya it is possible to get a long-term lease on a studio for 4,000k per month, but the average is 10-12k and a one- or two-bedroom apartment will set you back 25k (furnished, with air-con, cable TV, security. maybe swimming pool).

Remeber, you are looking to retire here, so you will be setting up a payment schedule back home to provide you with an income. (Do NOT bring all your assets to Thailand). Currency exchange and rising cost of living must be considered.

Believe me, the Immi. boys have got it right at 80k - you must save some of that for your later years, 'cos the medical care may get high. And you may wish to return home for your final years, rather than try base-jumping off Pattaya Park Tower.

To legally retire out here the Immigration people want to see 80,000 baht per month coming in to your account, or a holding of 800,000 baht. This holding has to be money that is used - not a static deposit. So really you are looking at similar figures.

The monthly income required for an 'O' extension on the grounds of retirement is 65,000 baht per month, not 80,000 unless there has been a recent change.

Have they increased the requirement?

If you go the funds in the bank route, to my knowledge there is no requirement to demonstrate that you have used the 800,000 baht when you renew.

The monthly income required for an 'O' extension on the grounds of retirement is 65,000 baht per month, not 80,000 unless there has been a recent change.

Have they increased the requirement?

If you go the funds in the bank route, to my knowledge there is no requirement to demonstrate that you have used the 800,000 baht when you renew.

Baht 65 K is correct.

It can be a combination of 'in the bank' and 'remitted from overseas'

Have a look here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/318.0.html

If you only present 800K every year for extension, which was parked in a bank account immigration might wish to know what you have been living from. However, this I do know only from previous posts, as I feel too young to retire. :o

30 grand a month is about right. All depends on the beer situation really. On the p*ss quite a bit and eating western food all the time will take you over this amount. 80K seems a bit steep, unless you have that 25-30K condo etc, etc.

30 grand a month is about right. All depends on the beer situation really. On the p*ss quite a bit and eating western food all the time will take you over this amount. 80K seems a bit steep, unless you have that 25-30K condo etc, etc.

I would have to agree with the 80k number for comfortable living. This cheapo living is not for me. However I would like to ask Gmanager where I can get one of those queer discount cards to cut down on cost of living

It's obvious from postings such as this that Thailand is attracting a very civilised type of Western resident, well attuned to the nuances of local culture and sensibilities.Clearly a regular at the Siam Society and an excellent ambassador for his country here.Sarcasm apart, he is probably a perfectly harmless little fellow but I wonder whether he has any idea how revealing his witless comments on the cost of living are.

Depends on your lifestyle and which part of Thailand. BKK and the south are going to be more expensive. You can live in Chiang Mai comfortably for 30,000, eating out, very few farang meals, and drinking at home, renting modest accommodation and bike, saving money for holidays. Add 15,000 for companion. Probably double for BKK or south.

But there are people who live on 15,000 a month. Don't know how they do it!

i have a condo with 3 air con, phone, tv, fridge, washing machine, a little furniture. it's basic by western standards, but quite clean and livable, nice view (14th floor). i pay 7500 baht a month (farang landlord). ubc is 1800, power is 3000, phone 200 baht. i eat mostly farang food, but buy and cook it myself, dont go to farang restaurants. food is about 7000 baht a month.

the only other expenses is travel (bus, sawng taeo, rot duu) and entertainment, just movies for me, about 2000 baht a month and topping my mobile phone (1000 baht). same lifestyle as nz, except the condo is bigger and cheaper than my tiny room back at the student hostel in auckland. so all told, thats about 23000 baht, but i dont drink or smoke.

i think 30000 baht is adequate if you like to drink soically, and if you smoke, fags are cheap. 80000 would be SWEET, but i wouldnt want to live in bkk city even if 80000 meant a plush condo. too congested, polluted for me. id find a place thats quite nice, but much cheaper on the outskirts of bkk, but is near an expressway, so you can still get into bkk easily if you work there.

i have a condo with 3 air con, phone, tv, fridge, washing machine, a little furniture. it's basic by western standards, but quite clean and livable, nice view (14th floor). i pay 7500 baht a month (farang landlord). ubc is 1800, power is 3000, phone 200 baht. i eat mostly farang food, but buy and cook it myself, dont go to farang restaurants. food is about 7000 baht a month.

the only other expenses is travel (bus, sawng taeo, rot duu) and entertainment, just movies for me, about 2000 baht a month and topping my mobile phone (1000 baht). same lifestyle as nz, except the condo is bigger and cheaper than my tiny room back at the student hostel in auckland. so all told, thats about 23000 baht, but i dont drink or smoke.

i think 30000 baht is adequate if you like to drink soically, and if you smoke, fags are cheap. 80000 would be SWEET, but i wouldnt want to live in bkk city even if 80000 meant a plush condo. too congested, polluted for me. id find a place thats quite nice, but much cheaper on the outskirts of bkk, but is near an expressway, so you can still get into bkk easily if you work there.

you left out 1 huge monumental expense, pal. transport!

I've been going to Thailand every year .....wonderful place to live....ErnieK

I think Ernie gets the record for the longest first post for a "newbie"!

I also think 800,000 per year is about right - and then of course, there's the bike, or truck, etc.

If you only present 800K every year for extension, which was parked in a bank account immigration might wish to know what you have been living from.

Axel. Its Off topic but I only had to.

Sure, and if you come and show them the same amount in income ++(Statement from Embassy) they will ask for the same amount in your bankbook.

Anf if you have both, but no whisky under the table, you are a drug dealer. :o

It's obvious from postings such as this that Thailand is attracting a very civilised type of Western resident, well attuned to the nuances of local culture and sensibilities.Clearly a regular at the Siam Society and an excellent ambassador for his country here.Sarcasm apart, he is probably a perfectly harmless little fellow but I wonder whether he has any idea how revealing his witless comments on the cost of living are.

My, you are a sarcastic one aren't you, BORIS! I'm not that civilised, partially attuned to local culture, never been to the 'kin Siam Society and certainly no ambassador for my country, and not entirely harmless. As regards revealing. Revealing what? that I don't have a 20 - 30k lady and a car to pay for.

8 grand on digs, 6-8 grand on food, 8 grand on g/f and whatever on p*ss, but not excessive...anymore. There, all is revealed. Not saying that I couldn't go over the 30k, which I reglarly do if I fancy a little sojourn to wherever. Just saying that it's fairly easy to get by in LOS without a huge bank balance.