Nokia E51

petedk

I have just thrown my Nokia N80 away after only 1 year. I've had so many problems with it and the latest problem according to Nokia care would cost 3,000 Baht to repair.

I have been checking the market for a new phone and basically I thought of dropping Nokia and trying another brand or evan a PDA (HTC). I need to be able to check email (have free wifi at work), read documents sometimes, PIM and listen to music and of course use it as a phone! I don't really use the camera very much so that's not important . My latest idea is a Nokia E51 which looks like a good buy. No slider, Symbian, Wi-fi and good battery life (according to specs) to name just a few things.

I have seen a dummy at Nokia but they won't show me a working version. I've had this problem so many times in the past.

Does anyone here have one? If so do you have any comments?

• 2 months later...

I have just thrown my Nokia N80 away after only 1 year. I've had so many problems with it and the latest problem according to Nokia care would cost 3,000 Baht to repair.

I have been checking the market for a new phone and basically I thought of dropping Nokia and trying another brand or evan a PDA (HTC). I need to be able to check email (have free wifi at work), read documents sometimes, PIM and listen to music and of course use it as a phone! I don't really use the camera very much so that's not important . My latest idea is a Nokia E51 which looks like a good buy. No slider, Symbian, Wi-fi and good battery life (according to specs) to name just a few things.

I have seen a dummy at Nokia but they won't show me a working version. I've had this problem so many times in the past.

Does anyone here have one? If so do you have any comments?

id recommend checking out photos and video on this site http://www.timtechs.com/nokia_e51_phone_unlocked_prd170.html

Thanks Mickeytwist

I posted this message in December last year and have since purchased the E51.

It's the best phone I have had so far. It has everything I need. The camera is not so good but then again I never use the camera function anyway.

I was pretty happy with my Nokia N80 but traded it for an E51. The N80 was heavy and the battery life was poor. I have had the E51 for about a week now and am VERY happy with it. The battery life is great and the connectivity seems much better than the old N80. The E51 so far, is the best phone I have ever had. I use EDGE for my Internet connection 100 percent since I dumped Crapstar. I was a little concerned about the smaller E51 screen but have found it easier to read web pages because of the ability to rotate the screen and use the zoom. I have not found anything about the phone that I don't like. I highly recommend the E51.

I've owned a nokia e51 for about 6 weeks now and I'd have to say it's an awesome phone! I never used any e series or business type phones before so I don't have much to compare it to, but the wlan is just amazing. Everywhere in bangkok has wireless connections. I can be sitting in a taxi and pick up 5 or 6 networks easily, and usually half of them are open and unprotected.

The best thing, though, is that I can use it as modem to connect my laptop through GPRS with the modem over bluetooth or USB when I am pretty far up in isaan (as long as I can get a GPRS connection). Yeah, other phones can do that, but it works so easy with the e51.

I still gotta get the VOIP working, but that's another reason I bought it. When I'm in the US, I should be able to connect through the network in my house (or at any starbucks, etc.) and make phone calls with VOIP. Not the most convenient solution, but for minimal use it beats having to sign a contract with a US carrier.

I paid 10400 baht at MBK.

• 5 months later...

you have to install the nokia PC suite. then call your phone service provider and have them send the GPRS settings to your phone. plug in your phone to the computer & use PC suite to connect to the internet- for AIS the access number to dial is *99***1#, and the username and pass are blank.

i also have an E51 by the way and i love it too... although it scratches pretty easily. i would like to download two applications for it if anyone knows where i might find something like this: i want a world clock (that tells time in multiple time zones) and i want a thai translation tool (type in an english word and it tells you the word in thai, but not written in thai as i haven't learned that yet!) ...if anyone knows of tools like that in existence please let me know! :o

you have to install the nokia PC suite. then call your phone service provider and have them send the GPRS settings to your phone. plug in your phone to the computer & use PC suite to connect to the internet- for AIS the access number to dial is *99***1#, and the username and pass are blank.

i also have an E51 by the way and i love it too... although it scratches pretty easily. i would like to download two applications for it if anyone knows where i might find something like this: i want a world clock (that tells time in multiple time zones) and i want a thai translation tool (type in an english word and it tells you the word in thai, but not written in thai as i haven't learned that yet!) ...if anyone knows of tools like that in existence please let me know! :o

You can have several different times set under the clock function. So far I have 2 European times (London and Copenhagen).

As for the translation tool.... yes I'd love something like that but I don't think it exists.

hrmmm... my clock definitely does not have a 2 time zone function!?!???!

Go to menu and select office. Select clock. Use the right toggle and the first option will be alarm. Right toggle again and the second option will be world. Select world and it will give you the option to select more cities.

thanks girlx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - Anyone know abuot the speeds of this e51 versus another class 10 modem phone? I cannot find what class the modem is. One guy on ThaiVisa said he was getting really fast EDGe in pattaya I think he said. Faster than 12Kbps? That's what I get now in the south of Thailand. Anyone have any idea about speeds on networks outside pattaya and BKK?