This Week-end's Election - Will It Restore Democracy In Thailand?

wilko

Sorry to sound so cynical, but has Thailand ever been a democracy? For me, democracy should be a bottom-up system; here, it's totally top-down. Is there any accountability in the government, the civil service? Sorry, but the way I see it, the system of government here is really just an extreme form of cronyism, feudalism almost. It's so sad; the Thai people deserve much better than this. But they're brought up to never question the system, to not ask "awkward" questions.

Real democracy is something rare in developing nations. The majority of the Thai people are not aware what it really means to have a true democracy. Looking at the political parties few are built on an ideology and personal interest dominates their actions. It is unfortunately something Thailand shares with many countries. A strong, honest and acceptable leader could change all this – but doubt such a person will be accepted by the established elite of the country.

...It's so sad; the Thai people deserve much better than this. But they're brought up to never question the system, to not ask "awkward" questions.

Yes, i'd have to agree on that point. From the short time I have stayed in Thailand i have concluded, imo, in most scenario's the majority of Thai's are followers rather than leaders. It's just the way they were raised... :o

Sorry to sound so cynical, but has Thailand ever been a democracy?

dam_n, you beat me to it. :o Was going to say the exact same thing.. "Restore democracy" implies that it was ever a democracy... When the military and factions near the top can step in at any time they please then it's not really a democracy because no government has a free hand.

So, no, Thailand will not be a democracy after the elections in my opinion. But what's almost as bad is that the whole world now KNOWS it's not a stable democracy. Like, if you were a really big company, would you invest big in Thailand knowing that tanks can roll down Bangkok's streets at any time? I wouldn't.

Like, if you were a really big company, would you invest big in Thailand knowing that tanks can roll down Bangkok's streets at any time? I wouldn't.

OK you wouldn't. You think really big investors give a sh!t about tanks in Bangkok streets. They only care about making profit.

cheers

onzestan

It looks like the PPP are headed for a majority (at least in votes) in the election......do you think that Thailand will be a democracy after the election?

Maybee the New Thia Government should take note (a quote from the late Sir Winston Churchill)

THOSE THAT FAIL TO LEARN FROM HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT.

I'm worried about the outcome. If PPP wins, the junta has already set them up for dissolution.

If they lose, it will be blamed on the military appointed Election Commission...ie: Vote tampering (record? early voting....10 times the norm)

Seems to me it's a lose/lose situation.

The people will not be allowed to vote against the military....the proof being the junta has passed laws allowing them to step in when they see fit.

Worrisome indeed.

Edited by pumpuiman

This country will get the government it deserves.

If the people want to be more than just serfs for the ruling class then they will have to bring about that change themselves.

I have to agree on that. Thai people are not ready for a real democracy. Maybe because there is no true education and tradition for democracy; certainly the Military are way too powerful and the government doesn't or cannot control them.

The elite, all the way to the top, have no interest in establishing a real democracy.

So, No, there will not be more but also not less democracy after the election.

Real democracy is something rare in developing nations. The majority of the Thai people are not aware what it really means to have a true democracy. Looking at the political parties few are built on an ideology and personal interest dominates their actions. It is unfortunately something Thailand shares with many countries. A strong, honest and acceptable leader could change all this – but doubt such a person will be accepted by the established elite of the country.

What country has such a leader now? Please: even ONE example.

A good example is Singapore which was a very corrupt city/area until Lee Kuan Yew came to power. He managed to change it into a modern state with an extremely low rate of corruption according to many studies. His son is now the PM and from what I have seen has the same attitude to corruption. Many might say Singapore has never been a true democracy and I intend to agree. But to have a government concentrating to do what they think is longsighted good to the people is what any developing nation needs to ever be ranked as a developed nation.

But I agree you find very few countries around the world with such a leader. I guess the main reason is the elite of developing countries tend to only protect their own interest which is very damaging to real democracy to say the least.

A good example is Singapore which was a very corrupt city/area until Lee Kuan Yew came to power. He managed to change it into a modern state with an extremely low rate of corruption according to many studies. His son is now the PM and from what I have seen has the same attitude to corruption. Many might say Singapore has never been a true democracy and I intend to agree. But to have a government concentrating to do what they think is longsighted good to the people is what any developing nation needs to ever be ranked as a developed nation.

But I agree you find very few countries around the world with such a leader. I guess the main reason is the elite of developing countries tend to only protect their own interest which is very damaging to real democracy to say the least.

Excellent, well thought-out response. Very good points. My initial reaction is that you're spot on regarding Lee Kuan Yew.

The United States of America? :o

I'm worried about the outcome. If PPP wins, the junta has already set them up for dissolution.

If they lose, it will be blamed on the military appointed Election Commission...ie: Vote tampering (record? early voting....10 times the norm)

The people will not be allowed to vote against the military.... the proof being the junta has passed laws allowing them to step in when they see fit.

Worrisome indeed.

what's so worrisome pray tell? :o how many civilians were murdered by the junta present in power? how many billions were shuffled tax free abroad by the junta? do we farangs have to fear the junta more than Thaksin? will the democratic PPP give us farangs SOME rights? how will democracy affect the life style of farangs in Thailand?

The United States of America? :o

Zimbabwe ? :D

It looks like the PPP are headed for a majority (at least in votes) in the election......do you think that Thailand will be a democracy after the election?

IMO

PPP will win big in their stronghold of NE, possibly do quite well in the N as well.

Then expect many disqualification cards to PPP candidates.

Even possibly disbanding of PPP months later.

PPP won't get to form the government.

Country will fall into lots of disorder thereafter.

Lots of hired hands to stir up troubles. Big money to flow to ensure it happens.

It will involve the authorities to stop the violence.

Will it be a democracy?

Probably too much democracy, to a point of fault!

That is why soo much problems therefrom. Not enough laws to stop the disorder mentioned above.

Like, if you were a really big company, would you invest big in Thailand knowing that tanks can roll down Bangkok's streets at any time? I wouldn't.

OK you wouldn't. You think really big investors give a sh!t about tanks in Bangkok streets. They only care about making profit.

cheers

onzestan

Ouch! The truth hurts sometimes!

Venezuala - Hugo Chavez - a real hero of mine - and any enemy of this evil current US administration is a friend of mine -

Venezuala - Hugo Chavez - a real hero of mine - and any enemy of this evil current US administration is a friend of mine -

So you would like to drink a cup of tea with them ? :o

The people will not be allowed to vote against the military....the proof being the junta has passed laws allowing them to step in when they see fit.

Worrisome indeed.

And the strange thing is, both is right. The PPP made enough to get dissolved.

And the the junta made everything that they don't get vote.

The wrong thing are the weak decisions. PPP should have been dissolved already and a good solution found. I don't know whats good. Put in the constitution that this election is just for 2 years? Or postphone 2 months till the next ILI (idiots love idiots) party is formed.

Let the people vote and than chance the outcome, even for good reason is not good. But Surajud gouverment failed in many things. An example that army just can't run a country.

Which, in the long term means STABILITY. A country that shreds it's constitution and has tanks rolling up to parliament every decade or so just isn't stable.

I can't believe I have to actually state the 'bloody obvious', but I guess it's needed: Military coups are not good for society and progress.

In stable democracies, the military stays well away from politics.

Hugo Chavez, dangerous buffoon. It is possible to dislike BOTH Bush and Chavez.

Personal opinion: I think it's only a matter of time before Thailand WILL have a person like Chavez contesting the elections. Better beware when that happens, because the factions-near-the-top are NOT going to allow that.

I might be wrong here, but didnt Malaysia used to have a strongman that stabilized and brought prosperity to the country?

Do not know if he was honest or corrupt.

Anyone know who i talk about? I think he was in charge for 10-12 years?

Mahatir Muhammad?

I'm not so sure someone like that would be so good for Thailand (or any country).. From the outside looking at Malaysia it seemed okay, but LOADS of Malaysians, especially those not ethnic Malays really don't speak highly of him. Very similar to the mixed feelings that Thaksin invoked; almost untouchable in elections, yet very controversial in large parts of the country.

Persoally I feel Thailand should just get on with things, start afresh and try to get up to where the whole world THOUGHT Thailand was 15 years after the last coup: the most democratic and free country in South East Asia. Let's hope it doesn't take 15 years, and that the democracy will be more genuine.