World War Ii -- When Thailand Supported The Axis Powers

chevykanteve

I will reiterate that it is a commonly believed myth that hundreds of thousands of Thais died on the railway. In fact sources claim around 6,000 to 8,000 Thais died, the majority of whom were resistance fighters.

The Australian Government should be informed of this so that they can correct the numerous contrary references contained in their Hellfire Pass Memorial in Kanchanaburi.

I thought posting the most accurate statistics available would get responses like that from some of the more uninformed members.

If you are so bothered about the memorial's inaccuracy about Thai casualties, you can inform the Australian Government yourself.

If the Memorial is in error, is it my fault? .... I'm not bothered by any inaccuracy. I wasn't aware it was an inacuracy according to you and your references. I'm just reporting what they say. If they are wrong, then they are wrong... no need to take offense so easily, especially when there's no need.

h90, I think you have that all wrong.

For many years the Chinese diaspora in Asia have been called the "Jews of Asia" indeed. That is not at all derogatory. It is descriptive. It means in parts of Asia there are Chinese minorities (Indonesia being the best example) that because of culture have succeeded in ways greater than their numbers would predict, and thus also suffer persecution. Just like the Jews have in many countries throughout history. It is not meant to say anything bad about Chinese or Jews. Of course, Singapore is a heavily Chinese island.

Thailand is kind of a special case in this regard, as the Chinese are super successful here and yet no history of persecution as in Indonesia and Malaysia.

Of course, there are actual Asian Jews in China. So I guess they are the real Jews of Asia!

Correct. :o

The Thai resistence were greatly assissted by the British during the war with logistics and training bases. The plucky Thai's called themselves " The White Elephants ".

The irony of the current UK administration taking on the same name has not been lost.