Computer City(pantip) Pattaya?

thaiman

I was also very disappointed to find out that although there are many stalls they all stock more or less exactly the same crap - i.e. about a dozen different laptops models in total and about 5 makes - Acer HP/Compaq, Toshiba and Benq..and Sony. This limited range seems to apply to printers, scanners and in fact the whole kit and caboodle....it's just one huge LACK of choice.

mind you I thought Pantip was similar.....

That was the point of my post about shopping in Akihabara (Tokyo) and Fry's Electronics (USA) -- there is just so much stuff that's not available in Thailand. And, prices on mobos, processors, hard drives, etc seem to carry a premium on the price. Is there a significant tariff on computer parts imported into Thailand, like there is, for example, on wine?

looks like you missed something, there is another Tuk Com in Siracha and another contributor stated that it was cheaper in Tuk Com Siracha than for the same goods in Tuk Com Pattaya. i concurred on the computer aspect of being cheaper there as i had saved money on many occasions than i expanded the subject slightly to point out most goods are substantially cheaper in Siracha than in Pattaya and gave a set of alloy wheels as an example of how much cheaper and how much could be saved by going to Siracha. happy now?

I'm still perplexed as the post is about computers and you appear to be posting about mag wheels which as far as I'm aware aren't available at Tuk Com Sri Racha.......don't 'bout you, but that seems pretty oblique to me.

PS - No need to worry about my state of happiness as I have that relatively under control these days.

I was also very disappointed to find out that although there are many stalls they all stock more or less exactly the same crap - i.e. about a dozen different laptops models in total and about 5 makes - Acer HP/Compaq, Toshiba and Benq..and Sony. This limited range seems to apply to printers, scanners and in fact the whole kit and caboodle....it's just one huge LACK of choice.

mind you I thought Pantip was similar.....

That was the point of my post about shopping in Akihabara (Tokyo) and Fry's Electronics (USA) -- there is just so much stuff that's not available in Thailand. And, prices on mobos, processors, hard drives, etc seem to carry a premium on the price. Is there a significant tariff on computer parts imported into Thailand, like there is, for example, on wine?

I would think so....the prices tend to be a little higher than UK and with a lower VAT (GST) rate...so that would seem to indicate an import duty.

looks like you missed something, there is another Tuk Com in Siracha and another contributor stated that it was cheaper in Tuk Com Siracha than for the same goods in Tuk Com Pattaya. i concurred on the computer aspect of being cheaper there as i had saved money on many occasions than i expanded the subject slightly to point out most goods are substantially cheaper in Siracha than in Pattaya and gave a set of alloy wheels as an example of how much cheaper and how much could be saved by going to Siracha. happy now?

I'm still perplexed as the post is about computers and you appear to be posting about mag wheels which as far as I'm aware aren't available at Tuk Com Sri Racha.......don't 'bout you, but that seems pretty oblique to me.

PS - No need to worry about my state of happiness as I have that relatively under control these days.

i'll not continue further then to add to your perplexedness, i thought i was giving helpful money saving advice to those who had maybe never even heard of Siracha, clearly you do not need advise.........from anyone. if nit picking at posts makes you happy, so be it. small things amuse small minds

MOD close this topic it is getting a little more than ridiculous.

LSM

perhaps you would like to add something more to your statement, some contribution of a little worth, possibly a statement of some note that we could all learn from, maybe something from you about computers and their relative sources, a study of comparative shopping in Thailand to avoid being ripped off or even something as oblique to this post about computers, as wheels for a car. Just a brief snippet of information from your wealth of knowledge, that other members may benefit from or at the very worst, maybe give us the LSM definition of what you consider is ''more than ridiculous''? about this thread. i am sure we are all breathless with anticipation to read your response...........

MOD close this topic it is getting a little more than ridiculous.

LSM

perhaps you would like to add something more to your statement, some contribution of a little worth, possibly a statement of some note that we could all learn from, maybe something from you about computers and their relative sources, a study of comparative shopping in Thailand to avoid being ripped off or even something as oblique to this post about computers, as wheels for a car. Just a brief snippet of information from your wealth of knowledge, that other members may benefit from or at the very worst, maybe give us the LSM definition of what you consider is ''more than ridiculous''? about this thread. i am sure we are all breathless with anticipation to read your response...........

Try reading

Post #2

Post #4

LSM

Just my thought for "all of the know it alls": If you think you know so much about computers and think Pattaya Tukcom IT is so bad, please travel to Pantip so that you can buy the same main stream items that are now sold in Pattaya, at about the same prices. True there may be some bargains at Pantip. You can also shop at Pattaya Wattana just to feel the comfort of the "good old days" of a small store and being overcharged for a small selection of somewhat outdated products. Siracha may sometimes have a little better price and if you don't mind several hours (round trip) of travel to save a few baht, please drive to Siracha or Pantip. Maybe getting off the forums might help give some of you a LIFE.

Most of us are taking a more realistic approach that Tukcom has greatly improved the computer availabilty in Pattaya. IT HAS THE MAIN STREAM PARTS THAT MOST OF US NEED AND USE. I can build a top quality computer, with name brand parts, from what is available at Pattaya Hardware House or JIB, for Pantip prices. If you can't, then maybe you should keep your comments to yourself.

Edited by aguy30

A sample system of the "crap" available everyday at Pattaya Tukcom:

Intel E6850 cpu

Asus/Gigabyte/MSI motherboard with P35 chipset

Asus/Gigabyte video card 512 mb pci express 16

Seagate/WD sata 2 hard drive 500/750 mb

DD2 PC-800 ram

LG/Samsung DVD 20x

Probably far better than what the "know it alls" are now using. There is just too much diarhhea of the keyboard on the forums!

Edited by aguy30

Just my thought for "all of the know it alls": If you think you know so much about computers and think Pattaya Tukcom IT is so bad, please travel to Pantip so that you can buy the same main stream items that are now sold in Pattaya, at about the same prices. True there may be some bargains at Pantip. You can also shop at Pattaya Wattana just to feel the comfort of the "good old days" of a small store and being overcharged for a small selection of somewhat outdated products. Siracha may sometimes have a little better price and if you don't mind several hours of travel to save a few baht, please drive to Siracha or Pantip. Maybe getting off the forums might help give some of you a LIFE.

Most of us are taking a more realistic approach that Tukcom has greatly improved the computer availabilty in Pattaya. IT HAS THE MAIN STREAM PARTS THAT MOST OF US NEED AND USE. I can build a top quality computer, with name brand parts, from what is available at Pattaya Hardware House or JIB, for Pantip prices. If you can't, then maybe you should keep your comments to yourself.

thanks for the advise, its good sensible advise to computer users in Pattaya, i did in fact build my computer with many parts from Hardware House in Siracha when Tuk Com Pattaya was just an ugly empty shell on Pattaya Thai. so i do qualify to be able to speak on the subject. one should note though as you have, that most parts are still cheaper in Siracha which is not several hours away, its about 30 minutes by car. i have asked the vendors in Pattaya who are featured in both Tuk com's, why the prices are higher than at their offices in Siracha TukCom, they say the rent is higher in Pattaya. that may well be true but i am sure the more cynical of you (including me) may assume that its a greater presence of the farang in pattaya that commands higher prices. even powerbuy, a national electrical retailer charges more for some items in Pattaya. i know this, i have compared the same item on the same day. are they overcharging gullible farangs? you decide.

Please enlighten me with how much you can save at Hardware House Siracha over Hardware House Pattaya. Hardware House prices are posted on the internet and their numerous shops tend to closely follow them, be it Pantip, Siracha or Pattaya.

Did you calculate the cost of petrol and the travel time into your savings?

Edited by aguy30

Please enlighten me with how much you can save at Hardware House Siracha over Hardware House Pattaya. Hardware House prices are posted on the internet and their numerous shops tend to closely follow them, be it Pantip, Siracha or Pattaya.

i said in my post i built my original computer when Pattaya Tukcom did not exist so how could i compare prices?

I was asking a more genearal question to the entire forum because several people seem to indicate the "big" savings at Siracha and Pantip.

There is also the question of warranty if you purchase at a single shop in Pantip or Siracha. Do you have to go back there for the repair? Sometimes if there is a problem, you can go to Wattana and they will process a warranty back to the distributor, for a fee.

Edited by aguy30

I was asking a more genearal question to the entire forum because several people seem to indicate the "big" savings at Siracha and Pantip. There is also the question of warranty if you purchase at a single shop in Pantip or Siracha. Do you have to back there for the repair?
i recall that i would normally save more than the fuel costs which at the time were minimal at 10-12 baht a litre. does time really matter when you are retired, sometimes its a pleasure just to get out of town. i did have a hard drive problem and had to return it to Siracha, also a later warranty P4 processor claim had to be dealt with at point of purchase in Siracha with receipt. its a good question and wether thats still the same now they have a branch in Pattaya Tukcom, i confess to having no idea. touch wood i have had no problems recently that demand putting it to the test

Apparently there is a computer called Barney and a guy who is convinced that prices don't differ from one stall/store/location to another.

I have trawled through all of these places and price differences of as much as 30% for the same object can be only meters apart...but S/R is in my experience consistently cheaper. Memory sticks were the thing before Xmas - 2GB for 500 or 600 baht - the same in Pattaya was 750 to 1000 baht.

Gentlemen,

I have deleted several posts. This is supposed to be an informative thread, let's keep it that way.

Any more inane bikkering and warnings will get issues!

Monty

Why do mods always use the fist person plural in their postings....are they joining in the flaming?

Go and look! there was an HP 200GB Hdd etc reduced from 48 to 38 in S/R - not available at Pattaya

Edited by wilko

Gentlemen,

I have deleted several posts. This is supposed to be an informative thread, let's keep it that way.

Monty

i believe you mean bickering and what issues are these warnings likely to have?

Wilko: a guy who is convinced that prices don't differ from one stall/store/location to another.

An improvement in reading skills would be to your benefit. I have been saying that main stream items at HARDWARE HOUSE AND JIB are similarly priced and COMPETITIVE at all of their locations and at other vendors, where ever they may be in Pantip or Siracha. There isn't a lot of profit margin to play with on these items. I never mentioned "from one stall/shop to another". Of course there may ge some vendors that over charge. Don't you suppose that happens in both Siracha and Pantip.

Please support your input and tell me where I can find cpu's, motherboard, video cards, memory and DVD drives at a significant savings over those 2 Pattaya shops that I mentioned. It just isn't worth the trip to Siracha or Pantip for a few baht savings. If you have the correct and proper info to support your claims, I will stand corrected. If not, please stop diluteing the topics with useless comments.

You can quote me: "There is just too much diarhhea of the keyboard on the forums!" Take it personal if you choose.

Edited by aguy30

Wilko: a guy who is convinced that prices don't differ from one stall/store/location to another.

An improvement in reading skills would be to your benefit. I have been saying that main stream items at HARDWARE HOUSE AND JIB are similarly priced and COMPETITIVE at all of their locations and othe vendors, where ever they may be in Pantip or Siracha. There isn't a lot of profit margin to play with on these items. I never mentioned "from one stall/shop to another". Of course there may ge some vendors that over charge. Don't you suppose that happens in both Siracha and Pantip.

Please support your input and tell me where I can find cpu's, motherboard, video cards, memory and DVD drives at a significant savings over those 2 Pattaya shops that I mentioned. It just isn't worth the trip to Siracha or Pantip for a few baht savings. If you have the correct and proper info to support your claims, I will stand corrected. If not, please stop diluteing the topics with useless comments.

You can quote me: "There is just too much diarhhea of the keyboard on the forums!" Take it personal if you choose.

I certainly don't feel inclined to give you any beneficial info...so just go look!

Gentlemen,

Monty

i believe you mean bickering and what issues are these warnings likely to have?

Sorry, spelling mistakes...

Should read "inane bickering and warnings will get issued"

Which especially FYI would mean a posting ban!!!

And since it is now clear the bickering is not stopping, this thread is now closed!

---------closed----------