English Style Sausages And Bacon

nonthaburial

Over the years I have sourced such items in Jomtien, Hua Hin and all points between, but although close/ish to the real thing, I have never been totally impressed.

Last week, whilst killing time in Macro Chaeng Wattana, I was lazily eyeing up the items in the freezer fridges when a certain section took my attention. There were lots of UK style sausages etc, made locally in Samut Prakarn under the brand name Kitchen King. The packaging looked good being vacuum packed, and a really good selection, including pork, Cumberland, Beef sausages, Hamburgers and smoked bacon.

I tried the Cumberland and was quite impressed. If you have access to Macro give it a try.

• 9 months later...

What actually is required to shop at Macro, my brother uses them in the Philippines, but he says that he got his members card through his mother-in-law who runs a small shop. Can the average Joe shop there? How is it all organized?? Cheers

Oz

I shop at the Makro on Narathiwat Road in bkk, never been asked for a card

Also been eating these sausages for a while and pretty impressed. The only thing to remember is that the basic pork thin sausage in this range is not so good. I have shopped in several Makro branches in Isaan, and what I usually do on arrival is go to the service desk and say 'Mai me bat, caw bai'. They will give you a slip of paper with a number which you can use at the checkout. Actually about three months back my wife and I asked what would be involved in getting a proper card, saying that the wife's sister had a small shop. We didn't have any proof of this, but the girl just typed in name and address details on the computer and gave us a card there and then, It was just a 5 minute job.

Edited by citizen33

Shopping at the Makro here in Rayong can be a plus but you need to pick a slower time to shop and especially check out at the cashier. Makro is for the business owner to shop and if you get there at the wrong time you will wait an eternity behind someone with 5 shopping carts full of stuff. Also they don't bag your goodies,,,,,,,,,and don't accept credit/debit cards for small items purchases. Strictly cash and carry. But you can find some decent stuff if you look around.

What's the benefit of a Makro card? When I 've shopped there they asked if we have a card but we say no and then they just check us out. Maybe the card gets a small discount or points for a discount later?

Sorry my reply here was a bit off topic,,,,,,,,,as for the bacon and sausage department I find the products in Makro to be acceptable to the higher prices in say Villa.

Edited by longball53098