Cochlear Implant

BEENTHEREDONETHAT

My hearing has gone from bad to terrible. Had it checked about three years ago and tried the top of the line hearing adds, that essentially did no good. The problem being at that time I was profoundly deaf at any frequency above 1,000 Hz. So the hearing aid only amplified what I could already hear.

Background noise of any type makes understanding what is being said almost impossible. I find that now I don't watch TV much as it is to much work to figure out what is being said

I thought perhaps a cochlear implant might help solve my problem. So if any of you have experience with them I would like to hear about it. I have googled it and read a lot of information, but there is nothing like first hand experience. Will be 74 next month and understand age has a influence on how well they work.

Any information would be appreciated. Does anyone know if it is done in BKK and the cost. Near as I can tell it cost between $50,000 and $80,000 USD to have it done in the US.

• 3 years later...

I have had several deaf friends that have had them it helped with most of them but they were deaf from birth so it didn't really help as much as one would think.

Before diagnosing one's self I would suggest getting a full work-up done including an MRI.