Electric Mosquito Zappers

jonniebkk

Beentheredonethat I was told they don't like to fly above 9 floors. It might not be scientifically accurate but the only time we ever see them high up in this building is when they follow someone up in the lifts.

I lived on the 29th floor (really the 24th, because there was no ground floor, and no 4th, 14th or 24th [4 is an unlucky number] or 13th) of an apartment block in Beijing, and the buggers were thick there if you didn't close up the windows.

Go and buy one of those Tennis Racquets and have some fun killing them.

Just don't touch the mesh yourself because it hurts like hel_l.

Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes...

I, like many folks, have bought a couple of the electric mosquito zappers to keep around the house to kill the little blood-suckers. You know, the ones with the white or blue florescent light and the electric grid that zaps them as they fly toward the light. I was under the assumption that the light attracted the mosquitoes.

Well, the other day, I'm listening to some science program and they mention that mosquitoes, as opposed to many other insects, are NOT attracted to light sources. They are attracted by (and find their warm blooded prey) the CO2 (carbon dioxide) emitted from the bodies of their victims. Therefore, all these light-based mosquito zappers are really not effective against them...and they only catch those who randomly happen to fly into the electric grid.

Comments anyone :o Suggestions are killing the little buggers.

For those of you who feel discriminated against when the mosquitoes bite you, and only you, when you are surrounded by other living, breathing homo sapiens, take some relief in what a tropical medicine doctor once told me: Those who think they are not being bitten most probably *are* being bitten, they just don't have the skin reaction that results in the red bump and itching. Apparently it is not all that uncommon for such a non-reactive event to occur when bitten. So, there!

For those of you who feel discriminated against when the mosquitoes bite you, and only you, when you are surrounded by other living, breathing homo sapiens, take some relief in what a tropical medicine doctor once told me: Those who think they are not being bitten most probably *are* being bitten, they just don't have the skin reaction that results in the red bump and itching. Apparently it is not all that uncommon for such a non-reactive event to occur when bitten. So, there!

A thought-provoking post!

Reactions, or non-reactions to various chemicals are probably as varied as the numbers of we humans.

Skin sensitivity would have to play a huge role in merely making us aware that something has just made a successful approach and landing on our largest organ. No sense, no feeling..

Unable to feel the penetration (dammit) of the siphon, the next physical indication would likely be the injection of an anticoagulant by the offending skeeter that gives a burning and itching sensation to those able to feel it. Our being too tired or inebriated to notice gives the bloodsucker time to drink her fill and, since the anticoagulant is also reinjested by the bitch, no itching or welt remains. You may be right, zombies may not even be aware!

The worst is when we sense them too late and respond automatically to the irritating anticoagulant. We scare them away before they can draw the irritant back out, hence the itchiness and red welt; and scratching merely moves the irritant to adjacent nerve endings making the 'bite' even more uncomfortable.

Long ago, while deep in the bowels of a timeless civilization, a 'tropical' guru taught me that communication between all species is not only the norm but is always there, full-spectrum, any time we wish to take a moment to pay attention. That, and a whole lot more..

Know your enemy better than she knows you...

Also, where i live can be a little dangerous at night - muggers etc. - so i never go to the local shop after dark. Better to send the kids - better safe than sorry!

Right On! My kind of man!

Devious Daffy.

:o

So you like men...hmmm, heard that before, plus you like to let children do what you're too scared to do. Quite the man...errr duck.

I have one of those black magnet whatever its called things....works well...really, its for sale if anyone wnats to buy it, cheap....or at least cheaper than in Home Pro, near new.....works well.

I have found a natural spray, based on lemon grass and I use it all the time, works very well and no chemicals. I buy it in bulk all the time.

Edited by MrSquigle

The program was probably correct about saying that most insect killed by those Blacklight insect zappers are not mosquitoes. So you probably just threw away good money. Best to keep the doors closed between 5 and 7 pm when mosquitoes emerge from their hiding places (e.g. sewer pipes). Make sure there are no places where mosquitoes breed. Install mosquito screen.

Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes...

I, like many folks, have bought a couple of the electric mosquito zappers to keep around the house to kill the little blood-suckers. You know, the ones with the white or blue florescent light and the electric grid that zaps them as they fly toward the light. I was under the assumption that the light attracted the mosquitoes.

Well, the other day, I'm listening to some science program and they mention that mosquitoes, as opposed to many other insects, are NOT attracted to light sources. They are attracted by (and find their warm blooded prey) the CO2 (carbon dioxide) emitted from the bodies of their victims. Therefore, all these light-based mosquito zappers are really not effective against them...and they only catch those who randomly happen to fly into the electric grid.

Comments anyone :o Suggestions are killing the little buggers.

Those of us who have been in the country for many years have probably developed an immunity to mosquito bites. Usually Farang tourists that just arrived are most bothered by mosquito bites. I almost don't develop welts when bitten by mosquitos.

We have 5 of these in our downstairs rooms, and they work very well (available in home-pro for around 2000baht)

http://www.1mosquito-control.com/Mosquitoe...black-hole1.htm

They seeem to catch all the ones that get it into the house before they make it upstairs.....We also use the tennis-racket zapper for the ones that the machines don't trap (luckily we don't need to use it too often)