Exit Poll Results Show PPP Wins

george

Selling a Communications business to Singapore?

Yes, It was his company, started long before he got into politics. Didn't belong to Thailand. The Junta propoganda made it sound like he sold an asset belonging to the Country. Wrong.

It was indeed his company, but why did it grow so much during his time as PM? Having introduced the village fund, what did the villagers do with their loans? Many bought mobile phones, which greatly boosted the value of Takkos company

Don't you imagine he had this in mind when he introduced the village fund? He was a very shrewd person. If you don't most Thai people do

Like I said......he was a billionair long BEFORE politics.

He was a such a good Prime Minister and businessman that the entire economy grew at rapid pace under his leadership. Thailand was a mess when he took office and was bailed out by the WMF. A loan that Thaksin paid off early.

Did you know the stock market doubled in 2003? Best performing market in the world I recall.

He has a few companies listed, so of course his net worth went up. Way up, along with anybody in the Thai stock market.

To say he cheated his way to the top proves you don't know what your talking about.

He was a billionaire before politics and a multi billionaire in politics.

He used his position to get richer.

If he got richer by abusing his position that is corruption.

Thats what so many people are upset about.

With PPP in power they are afraid it will be more of the same.

Yes Thailand PLC got richer whilst he was in power but little of it filtered down to the guy in the paddies.

Who is upset with Thaksin?

A minority of Thais.

A majority love the guy and the election results prove it AGAIN.

By the way, the guys in the rice paddys love him.

i hate to say this but the majority of thai are also stupid! the populist policy is a scam. taking the side of the poor to win votes as the 75% of the country's population is poor is a clear scam.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PM asks that all parties accept election results

Prime Minister and Minister of Interior General Surayud Chulanont stated that he is very satisfied with the voter turn out rate which exceeded the target of 70 percent. He also commended the Thai people for paying attention to the future of the nation and voting without incident.

The Prime Minister also said that all parties must accept the election result as it is the choice of the nation. He stated that only the Election Commission is positioned to criticize the election, and only cases of corrupt actions or vote-buying. General Surayud asked that all parties accept the election result and focus their efforts on moving the country forward.

The premiere also urged that no time is wasted in conflict over the new government. He expressed that he wishes the new government to immediately begin work towards improving the nation.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 December 2007

little of it filtered down to the guy in the paddies.

If this is the case as you say, then why have they voted for him a third time? Oh, yes, they must be stupid, barefoot hicks.

Not stupid, just uneducated and easy prey for anyone using Taksins brand of nationalist, populist policies.

One of my wifes neighbours voted for the PPP yesterday because she said it would be easier to get a loan if she did.

Her sister already has land in hock after getting a Toxic loan as does another member of her family.

Vulnerable people getting suckered into something they can't afford.

My Lao Thai nephew in Issarn is one of those poor uneducated rice farmers you speak of. He took out one of your "Toxic loans".

He bought one of those single cylinder diesel farm trucks and made some extra money with it. After only a year he was able to borrow some more and buy a rice husking machine. Now he husks and bags rice for his neighbours and makes a nice little profit. The rice husks go to feed the pigs he is now able to afford to feed. He sells the pigs that are excess to family needs and make another nice little profit. With this extra money coming in he is buy fertilizer necessary to make sugarcane farming profitable. He is now making a lot more money off the sugarcane than he was rice farming. He is doing pretty well now although he still works 12 hours a day 6 to 7 days a week (weather permiting). His eldest daughter finished highschool and now he is in a position to fund her further education. She is in Bangkok studying to be an accountant.

None of this could have happened without your "Toxic loans".

Can you guess who he voted for?

Prior to the availability of "Toxic loans", he wasn't in a position to get a loan from the banks. There were however other alternatives available.

Just about every community has their money lenders. These people are usually the more well off Chinese Thais. These people will lend money at only 10% interest. That's 10% per MONTH! And all you have to do is to mortgage the farm. If things don't go too well with the new venture then its only a short time before the compounding interest brings the loan into default and the new owner proudly takes possession. But if the land cant be sold quickly, then the usual practice is to let the peasant farmer stay on the land and farm it for a monthly rental. Pretty good deal hey?

Then there's the outside Mafia loan sharks. They don't want the land when the loan defaults. They want your daughter to go work in a Thai brothel to pay off the loan rather than going to Bangkok to study to be an accountant.

Yes I know a lot of people got themselves into debt taking out government subsidized loans. Poor planning, poor education and poor business skills being the most common reason. But at least they are not going to end up homeless, or have to send their daughter off to work in Thai brothel.

Most of the poor farmers in Issarn are basically self employed business people with very little education. They do hard labour for long hours and earn a pittance, even by Thai standards. In the west here the failure rate for small businesses is 20% in the first year. And I think its up around 60% in the first 5 years. And that's with well educated people employing accountants and lawyers! So Yea, we could expect a high failure rate among the Issarn farmers who took out government loans. That's probably why the commercial banks wernt really interested in the first place. Maybe the banks should have tried sub-prime loans and then sold the debt off overseas? ! Ha, we would be too smart to fall for that one in the west though!

Anyway, you have got to start somewhere. The existing system merely exploited the poor to the advantage of the rich in the classic Thai tradition.

At least if only a small proportion of Government sponsored loans resulted in a successful business venture as it did in my nephews case, the flow on benefits to the whole community (and indeed the country ultimately) would be much, much greater than doing nothing at all. Its all about improving education, health and opportunities for the peasant class. Its not just a hand out. But to give the poor peasant class a hand up so that they might have the opportunity to better themselves costs money. Money that has to be raised mainly from those who can afford to pay more, -- namely the wealthy upper and middle class. And of course if Thailand ever evolves into a country where a big chunk of the peasant class move up the socio-economic scale to become middle-class it will be at the expense of the upper-class.

No more having a couple of maids putting in 8 hours labour for 100 baht a day.

AEC does not fear dissolution from new government

Assets Examination Committee (AEC) member Udom Fuangfung (อุดม เฟื่องฟุ้ง) expressed that the AEC is not concerned about its role in the nation with the instating of a new government. Mr. Udom made his comments during the release of unofficial exit poll numbers which showed the People’s Power Party as the lead.

The AEC member stated that he is not concerned over the possible dissolution of the committee as he feels it has served its purpose. He said that the committee was created for the necessities of the post-reform government and it has done its best to fulfill its role.

Mr. Udom also commented on the possible return of ousted Prime Minister Dr Thaksin Shinawatra that even if he is allowed to return to the country the court summons for him have already been issued through the justice system. He said that even if the AEC is disbanded the orders will remain and Dr Thaksin will have to appear in court.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 December 2007

PPP grabs majority of seats, Mr Samak declares victory

With 92 percent of the votes counted near midnight, unofficial results showed that People Power Party (PPP) has gained 228 seats whilst its rival Democrat Party has 166 seats from a total of 480 seats of both constituency and party-list candidacy. In all, 241 seats are needed for a majority.

At the same time, the PPP’s leader, Mr. Samak Sundaravej (สมัคร สุนทรเวช), has recently declared his victory in the national election yesterday (December 23rd), adding that he is now ready to be the 25th prime minister. He says for the first time after the election that he would like all political parties to join the government and is ready to form the next government.

The jubilant PPP leader also said that former Thai Rak Thai leader Thaksin Shinawatra had called to congratulate on his victory. Mr Samak told a crowd of journalist that the coup is dead and the people’s support today has sent a solid message to the Thai military.

The PPP had earlier accused the Council of National Security (CNS) of unfairly trying to stop the PPP from winning enough seats to control the government.

In its party campaign, Mr Samak promises to continue deposed Prime Minister Thaksin policies including subsidized health care and cash payments to villages. In 1976, Mr Samak was interior minister when troops opened fire on student protesters, killing at least 46, and was also deputy prime minister during the killing of the demonstrators in 1992. By tying himself to the Thaksin era, he seeks to benefit from voter memories of strong economic growth.

Yes, It was his company, started long before he got into politics. Didn't belong to Thailand. The Junta propoganda made it sound like he sold an asset belonging to the Country. Wrong.

It was indeed his company, but why did it grow so much during his time as PM? Having introduced the village fund, what did the villagers do with their loans? Many bought mobile phones, which greatly boosted the value of Takkos company

Don't you imagine he had this in mind when he introduced the village fund? He was a very shrewd person. If you don't most Thai people do

He was a such a good Prime Minister and businessman that the entire economy grew at rapid pace under his leadership. Thailand was a mess when he took office and was bailed out by the WMF. A loan that Thaksin paid off early.

Did you know the stock market doubled in 2003? Best performing market in the world I recall.

He has a few companies listed, so of course his net worth went up. Way up, along with anybody in the Thai stock market.

To say he cheated his way to the top proves you don't know what your talking about.

Yes Thailand PLC got richer whilst he was in power but little of it filtered down to the guy in the paddies.

A minority of Thais.

i hate to say this but the majority of thai are also stupid! the populist policy is a scam. taking the side of the poor to win votes as the 75% of the country's population is poor is a clear scam.

Farmers arn't stupid. They might be uneducated but they have plenty of smarts.

Majority rules in a democracy, even if they don't go to college.

Political life of Peoples Power Party leader Samak Sundaravej

People’s Power Party leader Samak Sundaravej began his political career as a member of the Democrat Party in 1968 after completing his college degree Law from Thammasat University. He was born on June 13 1935 to Samien Sundaravej (เสมียน สุนทรเวช) and Umphan Sundaravej (อำพัน จิตรกร) and is also the nephew of Doctor Sun Sundaravej (สุ่น สุนทรเวช) who was a physician to His Majesty the King.

Mr. Samak began his move into the world by politics by writing pieces for Siam Rhat, Weekly Siam Rhat Commentary and Chaow Krung (ชาวกรุง). After taking a place in the Democrat Party Mr. Samak also served as a Member of Parliament, a post he would assume several times until the year 2000. In 1975 he also assumed the position of Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives and in the following year he became the Deputy Minister of Interior.

The People’s Power Party leader continued his ministerial duties as the Minister of Interior in late 1976 and then as Transport Minister in 1983, a position he would hold again in 1990. One of his most noted services to the nation was as the Governor of Bangkok in the year 2000 which was also the year he left his founded party Prachakornthai (ประชากรไทย) Party.

In 2006, three years after leaving the post of Bangkok Governor Mr. Samak became a Senator before the government was relinquished due to the September 19th reformation. In August of 2007 Mr. Samak and several former members of the Thai Rak Thai party joined hands to form the People’s Power Party.

I highly encourage people to read today's and everyday's edition of the Wall Street Journal - Asia and International Herald Tribune for their perspective on Thai politics from a broader perspective than can be published from within Thailand due to censorship issues and other situations we can't mention on this forum. Thai media, especially English language media, presents a very sanitary and incomplete perspective.

The Thai people have spoken. They have delivered the message that the coup was wrong and they resented the military for wasting a year trying to hang Thaksin rather than taking care of business. I think it's pretty obvious that the country has been stagnant for the past year. My wife no longer surprises me very often and she does not pay much attention to politics. She DID surprise me by being upset with the Issan people for voting for Samak. She had no use for Thaksin but she believes Samak is MUCH worse than Thaksin was. The margin of victory surprised everyone.

A minority of Thais.

mmm... i didn't say farmers but ok if you say so. i suggests you take a closer look in bangkok where 90% are educated, thaksin will never win there. and take a good look at singapore which is smaller than bangkok. i think if bangkok is a country i have no doubts that thaksin will not be able to comeback after what he did.

A minority of Thais.

a very well articulated and educated post- I would ask though- if populist policies are a scam- what would you call policies that promote tax cuts for the middle class (in countries with large middle class populations), corporate welfare, relaxing of environmental standards... in fact all those policies which narrow the nation's revenues while securing allegience from targeted consituencies?

I highly encourage people to read today's and everyday's edition of the Wall Street Journal - Asia and International Herald Tribune for their perspective on Thai politics from a broader perspective than can be published from within Thailand due to censorship issues and other situations we can't mention on this forum. Thai media, especially English language media, presents a very sanitary and incomplete perspective.

As I am a blind, influenced farrang sitting in Nakhon Nowhere ... without the opportunity for the recommended newpapers .......... are there any links ?!

Lots of unmarked bills and gold bars are being counted and gathered as we speak, imho.

Why is that?

Pa Prem is the elder statesman of Thai politics. There is a 99% chance that press were camped out near his residence - yet not a single person has corroborated the claim made by the PPP. And he has also denied the rumors.

It would've been much simpler for him to use the phone - just as it would have been much easier to use the phone for perhaps hundreds of other influential people wishing to record their opinions with any or all of the party leaders. There is no evidence that this has occurred, but I assure you that it is impossible for 100% of any such communications to be against the PPP.

Claim made by Jakrapob Penkair. Such a reliable source. :o

PTV.jpg

A minority of Thais.

a very well articulated and educated post- I would ask though- if populist policies are a scam- what would you call policies that promote tax cuts for the middle class (in countries with large middle class populations), corporate welfare, relaxing of environmental standards... in fact all those policies which narrow the nation's revenues while securing allegience from targeted consituencies?

yes, i agree. all of these are scams. they are all too good to be true. the first scam in politics was "kissing babies" during campaign. BUT, one should choose the lesser scams. some scams are bigger others. eg. banharn takes 10 baht while thaksin takes 1,000 baht...

Edited by thai_narak

OMG!!

ROFL!

Only 25% of votes should be considered because the other 75% are "stupid".

Promote that man to General!!

Ousted Prime Minister Vindicated in Thai Vote

Pro-Thaksin Party Polls Strongly in Rural Regions But Falls Short of Majority

Loyalists of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra won nearly half the seats in Thailand's parliamentary elections Sunday in a striking rebuke to the generals who forced the billionaire populist from power in 2006.

The first vote since the coup appeared likely to ensure continuing political instability: The failure of the pro-Thaksin People's Power Party to capture an absolute majority in the 480-seat lower house of parliament opens the way for his opponents to form a government despite the party's substantial mandate.

With more than 95 percent of the vote counted, the People's Power Party -- established after Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai (Thais Love Thais) party was disbanded by court order in May -- had won 228 seats, according to the state election commission. Complete results were due Monday.

"I would like to call for all political parties to join us in forming a strong government," party leader Samak Sundaravej said at a news conference. "I will certainly be the prime minister."

He said Thaksin, who was in Hong Kong, had telephoned to offer his congratulations after hearing the results.

The second-place Democrat Party took 165 seats.

"If the PPP succeeds in forming the government, the Democrat Party is ready to be in the opposition to protect the people's interest. However, if the PPP fails to form a government, the Democrat Party is also ready to form a government," said Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva.

The People's Power Party drew most of its support from the rural north and northeast, where Thaksin's programs, including universal health care and generous village development funds, had attracted a hard-core following.

The Democrats did best in Bangkok, where the 2006 movement to oust Thaksin was centered. Only seven parties of 39 running won parliamentary seats. About 60 percent of 45 million eligible voters cast ballots for about 5,000 candidates.

If the PPP comes to power, said Nakarin Mektrairat, dean of Thammasat University's political science faculty, "there will be tension and conflicts," in part because of its lack of support in the capital.

Thailand has endured almost constant political turmoil since early 2006, when demonstrations mushroomed demanding that Thaksin step down, despite his party's landslide victory a year earlier and absolute parliamentary majority.

An April 2006 election was boycotted by the opposition and later declared invalid by the constitutional court, leaving Thaksin's government in limbo until the Sept. 20 coup last year. But the military-appointed interim government that succeeded it proved weak and indecisive, failing to restore public confidence.

Thaksin was abroad at the time of his ouster and has stayed in exile, legally barred from office. Besides having his party dissolved by the courts, he has been charged with various corruption-related crimes.

Although he vowed to retire from politics, he burnished his image from afar, with such moves as the purchase of England's Manchester City soccer club.

The U.S. State Department, which had criticized the coup that toppled Thaksin, said it welcomed reports that the polls were free and fair and congratulated the Thai people "on taking this crucial step toward a return to elected government."

Source: Washington Post - 24 December 2007

PH2007122300175.jpg

From left; Phantongtae, Pintongtha and Paetongtharn Shinawatra, a son and daughters of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra cast their votes in Bangkok, Thailand Sunday, Dec. 23, 2007. Former Prime Minister Thaksin, deposed, exiled and allegedly corrupt, was poised for a comeback-by-proxy as his loyalists seemed likely to win Thailand's national election Sunday.

Source: AP Photo published by the Washington Post - 24 December 2007

Some posters are saying that the majority of thais voted for PPP and Thaksin. The last i looked 47.5% is not the majority of thais. The majority voted for someone other than PPP and Thaksin.

Looking at the current figures, the only way the Democrats can form a government is if they side with ALL other minor parties, bar the PPP.

Edited by culicine

EC to continue work despite change of government

Election Commission (EC) member in charge of managing the election Praphan Naikowit (ประพันธ์ นัยโกวิท) expressed his contentment with the voter turn out. He stated though that there is still much work to be done before the finalization of ballots.

Mr. Praphan affirmed that all ballots would be tallied and accounted for by today (December 24) and that they would be sent for inspection on Wednesday (December 26). He stated that the issue of penalties must still also be resolved with the national police being tasked with reviewing cases and dealing with the issuance of penalties.

EC Chairman Apichart Sukakanont (อภิชาต สุขัคคานนท) vowed that the EC would push forward with all of its activities despite the change in government. He said that the EC will seek prosecution for any wrong doers and review all irregularities from the election.

Some posters are saying that the majority of thais voted for PPP and Thaksin. The last i looked 47.5% is not the majority of thais. The majority voted for someone other than PPP and Thaksin.

Next closest party, the Democrats, only got 33.25% the next closest 9.50% Together they got 42.75%. Makes 47.5% of the popular vote look like a runaway train. You are not beaten if you are defeated by 14.24% in an election, you are trounced. If you get less than 10% you don't even count as a viable alternative.

AEC does not fear dissolution from new government

Assets Examination Committee (AEC) member Udom Fuangfung (อุดม เฟื่องฟุ้ง) expressed that the AEC is not concerned about its role in the nation with the instating of a new government. Mr. Udom made his comments during the release of unofficial exit poll numbers which showed the People’s Power Party as the lead.

The AEC member stated that he is not concerned over the possible dissolution of the committee as he feels it has served its purpose. He said that the committee was created for the necessities of the post-reform government and it has done its best to fulfill its role.

Mr. Udom also commented on the possible return of ousted Prime Minister Dr Thaksin Shinawatra that even if he is allowed to return to the country the court summons for him have already been issued through the justice system. He said that even if the AEC is disbanded the orders will remain and Dr Thaksin will have to appear in court.

Yes the military knows how to lay land-mines which continue to function after they have gone. (I shouldn't say GONE, more like taken a temporary spell).

A minority of Thais.

So at the end, members here really just want to say how most thais are stupid. And how smart they themselves are. :o

Also they can't stand an Asian man being so capable.

I am actually amazed by the amount of stupidity of posters from farangland. Their constant pointing out of how corrupted thaksin had been and thaksin not being 100% clean just shows how unrealistic they are. How do people expect such a corrupted country to turn into a so-called corruption-free-like western country just over night? Are there really people out there that think a politician can be 100% honest and clean to run a country even if it was one like thailand? Amazing!

To make this country less corrupted and more fair is like trying to move a million ton rock. Some lubricant has to be used. Also one needs a lot of strength. Where do people think this strength comes from if one does not try to gain power and keep it? You think a clean and modest person can stand on that stage for long?

It was obvious who thaksin had annoyed, wasn't it? Those who chased him away were the ones who had a lot of power, why on earth would they do that? Because they love their people, their poor people?

A minority of Thais.

So at the end, members here really just want to say how most thais are stupid. And how smart they themselves are. :D

Also they can't stand an Asian man being so capable.

I am actually amazed by the amount of stupidity of posters from farangland. Their constant pointing out of how corrupted thaksin had been and thaksin not being 100% clean just shows how unrealistic they are. How do people expect such a corrupted country to turn into a so-called corruption-free-like western country just over night? Are there really people out there that think a politician can be 100% honest and clean to run a country even if it was one like thailand? Amazing!

To make this country less corrupted and more fair is like trying to move a million ton rock. Some lubricant has to be used. Also one needs a lot of strength. Where do people think this strength comes from if one does not try to gain power and keep it? You think a clean and modest person can stand on that stage for long?

It was obvious who thaksin had annoyed, wasn't it? Those who chased him away were the ones who had a lot of power, why on earth would they do that? Because they love their people, their poor people?

:D did I say something ?!?!?! :o

Next closest party, the Democrats, only got 33.25% the next closest 9.50% Together they got 42.75%. Makes 47.5% of the popular vote look like a runaway train. You are not beaten if you are defeated by 14.24% in an election, you are trounced. If you get less than 10% you don't even count as a viable alternative.

The PPP won 47.5% of the the seats, but that was not their share of the popular vote. The number of actual votes cast for two largest parties was very close, there were many seats the PPP won by small margins. For the proportionate represention seats the PPP only beat the Democrats 13.3 million to 12.8 million votes, which was 42.5 to 41.25%. PPP certainly does not have an overwhelming mandate.