Taking Money Out Of Thailand

bankei

I heard locals talking about having the money-changer do it. Several in Pratunam?

One gives them case in Bkk, then receives the foreign fund in another country.

This is how many politicians and merchants do it.

It is the stealth way.

May not work for you ?

If your fund is legit, I assume others can post the official way through the banks.

For a small fee you can transfer between you bank here and your Aussie bank - but your bank here may want to see a work permit and it will come on the radar in Aussie and will likely get taxed - unless you can prove you've paid tax on it already. But you can do a bank to bank.

I went to my Thai bank and ended up having them make out a bank check in US dollars to my US bank. The bank check has a line on the bottom for a note, My name was on that line. I endorsed the back of the check with my signature and with the note, "For Deposit Only" to my account number. I sent it via Thai EMS. The deposit showed up in my Citibank account in less than a week.

I went to my Thai bank and ended up having them make out a bank check in US dollars to my US bank. The bank check has a line on the bottom for a note, My name was on that line. I endorsed the back of the check with my signature and with the note, "For Deposit Only" to my account number. I sent it via Thai EMS. The deposit showed up in my Citibank account in less than a week.

Gary,

I have a Citibank acct also.

Out of curiosity do you remember when it was all done how much the % was & was it from Citibank-Citibank.

I would love to know., I think I will be doing soon

Thank you

Barry

Thanks for the replies. I should have pointed out that this is legitimate money and I have no problem declaring it in Australia as no tax will be payable.

I was going to transfer it from the Thai bank to Aussie bank, but thought there may be a better way to get a better exchange rate with less fees etc.

Thanks

Bankei

I heard locals talking about having the money-changer do it. Several in Pratunam?

It is the stealth way.

May not work for you ?

If your fund is legit, I assume others can post the official way through the banks.

I think you're talking about Hawala - here's the Wiki link as I haven't got time to explain it right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawala

Gary,

I have a Citibank acct also.

Out of curiosity do you remember when it was all done how much the % was & was it from Citibank-Citibank.

I would love to know., I think I will be doing soon

Thank you

Barry

I had to buy dollars at a cheaper than normal cash exchange rate because there was no actual exchange of currency. I think that was about .3 baht better than exchanging cash. The bank check itself was very cheap, if I remember correctly, less than 200 baht. There was no charge from Citibank and the check came from Siam Commercial. I had talked to the bank about a wire transfer and the officers got that odd glazed look in their eyes, so they were VERY happy to do the check route. I think the most expensive part was the 600 baht for the Express Mail Service.

It is the stealth way.

May not work for you ?

I think you're talking about Hawala - here's the Wiki link as I haven't got time to explain it right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawala

It is equivalent to Hawala. Hawala seems to be carried out by muslims.

The Thai version I referred to is mainly carried out by Chinese and has existed for a long long time. They are mainly networks among Chinese from different countries. I believe they are a different network from Hawala.

Did you previously transfer money into Thailand? If Yes, did you obtain a foreign remittance receipt/letter from your Thai bank?

Hi Kudroz

I did transfer the money into Thailand from overseas, but into someone else's account, a Thai national, and I do not have any foreign remittance letter from the Thai bank. Do you think there would be restrictions on exporting money? There probably may be.

I have found a few people who go to Thailand regularly an one will be bringing back some cash for me shortly.

Thanks for your help, and to everyone else too.