A Democrat Coalition Government?

soundman

Personally, I think that he has a lot to offer Thai politics, far much more than all of the failures (Banharn, Leekpai, Meechai etc, etc) that are still swarming around the trough and likely to find themselves in considerable positions of power.

This is the point of this post. Although I see a democrat coalition government being formed as only being an outside chance - these politicians crave power & with the PPP they know once the cookie has crumbled they will be left with crumbs, if anything. With a democrat coalition they know they will have real power.

So unless some serious money changes hands (tens of billions of baht IMO), I think most of the minor parties would theoretically side with the democrats unless they see a mass exodus to the PPP.

Cheers.

As long as Toxin is not back to pollute everything, the cash flow is still managable at a controlled level. But once he is back, can imagine all charges dropped and account unfreezed! That will be the time to see a mass exodus ! :o

Certainly, anything is better than Surayud! It's too bad we can't have the days of Thaksin back without having Thaksin back. It was such a good era for modern Thailand.

:o:D

There were some good things that occurred during the taxin era, however, many of the good things were accomplished due to painful & awkward decisions made out of necessity by previous administrations, for which, when things started going well, taxin happily took the credit for. :D

It could be worse. I don't see how we can know now how this will turn out. (See my avatar.)

Your avatar looks just like a puppet. :D Have you been reading the tea leaves or monkey bones and getting future PM predictions again?

If it looks like a puppet and talks like a puppet, it is a puppet. :D

I think he looks like a Pig :bah: and talk like a bulldog :D . Always barking up the wrong tree :o

:D:bah:

He still looks like Silas Greenback to me, but then I have a toadish sense of humour.

It is becoming very clear through the PPP's not being able to form (buy) a coalition partner that they may not be able to form a government.

It is?

The PPP will form the next government, Its just a question at what cost in terms of Ministerial Positions.............tea money..........nod and a wink etc.

It could be worse. I don't see how we can know now how this will turn out. (See my avatar.)

Your avatar looks just like a puppet. :D Have you been reading the tea leaves or monkey bones and getting future PM predictions again?

If it looks like a puppet and talks like a puppet, it is a puppet. :D

I think he looks like a Pig :D and talk like a bulldog :D . Always barking up the wrong tree :o

give me 200M baht and i can be a puppet too. :bah:

It's not strange at all that this will take a while. And it's been, what, 3 days? :o Loads of European countries usually have coalition governments, and even there it often takes MONTHS.

Given the pretty much unprecedented power of the small parties, they can bargain just about anything out of the deal, no matter who they join.

I don't think the analogy about not being allowed to play ball holds any water, or it's from someone not familiar with coalition governments: The partners REMAIN needed for EACH AND EVERY law that is passed. So will retain their position of power for as long as they're in the coalition; that's simply how it works. (Don't think anyone can disagree on that.)

I just can't see Sonthi seeing all his "hard work" going up in smoke. Surely the smaller parties will be leaned upon. Also, I think we might see the courts suddenly expediting Samak's fire-truck case.

Who knows?

Maybe Sonthi, Prem & others have done a deal with Samak to perform a clever charade with the aim of getting taxin back in the country & in return let Samak have his way with PPP following a few simple guidelines......

Abhisit to form a govt if PPP fails

(BangkokPost.com) - Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said he will begin the formation of a new government if People Power party (PPP) is still unable to form a coalition by Jan 4.

"PPP said it will announce forming of a new government on Jan 4 so I will wait until that day," he said. "It is the date PPP sets itself."

He insisted that a government that the Democrats are going to form will have to function well.

"Numbers will be only one factor," he said. "It also depends on framework, leadership and how the government will use its power."

Story Here.

• 2 weeks later...
PPP red cards spark big protest Supporters rally in Buri Ram against EC POST REPORTERS

However, one of the PPP's key allies, the Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana party, appeared to have second thoughts about joining the PPP-led coalition yesterday.

Party leader Gen Chettha Thanajaro said the party was ready to review its decision to join a PPP-led coalition government if the EC rules against PPP candidates en masse. ''If other parties defect to the Democrats, we are ready to review our stand. We are waiting for the EC's rulings,'' Gen Chettha said.

It is happenning. Rats running from a sinking ship. :o

Story here.

Soundman.

There were some good things that occurred during the taxin era, however, many of the good things were accomplished due to painful & awkward decisions made out of necessity by previous administrations, for which, when things started going well, taxin happily took the credit for. :o

Standard political operating procedures springs to mind here.

Wasn't that what Blairs "New Labour" was all about? Taking all the credit for very acceptable end results from years of sometimes unpopular and austere Tory policies?

cookie has crumbled they will be left with crumbs, if anything. With a democrat coalition they know they will have real power.

Cheers.

Interestingly, it appears that Prem has met with Ruam Jai and Puean Puedin parties, and one wonders if he has given the two leaders of those parties a little gentle arm twist not to join a PPP coalition.

Is this country to be held captive by Prem, even 30 years after his rain ended...... Mar 3 1980 - Aug 3 1988.

It's not about Prem. It's all about who he works for.